1. Burkholder, BT, Toole, MJ: Evolution of complex emergencies. Lancet 1995;346:1012–1014.
2. Boss, LP, Toole, MJ, Yip, R: Assessment of mortality, morbidity and nutritional status in Somalia during the 1991-92 famine: Recommendations for standardization of methods. JAMA 1994;272:371–376.
3. Spiegel, PB, Salama, P: Emergencies in developed countries: Are aid organizations ready to adapt? Lancet, 2001;357(9257):714
4. World Bank Document: Bosnia-Herzegovina Country Overview. World Bank Group. 1997 pp 1–3.
5. Berckmans, P, Dawans, V, Schmets, G, Vandenbergh, D: Inappropriate drug donation practices in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1992–1996. N Eng J Med 1997;337(25):1842–1845.
6. Michael, M: Medical supplies donated to hospitals in Bosnia and Croatia, 1994–1995 Report of a survey evaluating humanitarian aid in war. JAMA 1996;276(5):364–368.
7. Roberts, L: Mortality in Eastern DRC: Results from Five Mortality Surveys. New York, NY: International Rescue Committee; 2000.
8. VanRooyen, MJ, Sloan, EP, Radvany, AE, Peric, T, Kulis, B, Tabak, V: The incidence and outcome of penetrating and blunt trauma in central Bosnia: The Nova Bila Hospital for War Wounded. J Trauma 1995:38(6);863–866.
9. Jean, F: Populations in Danger 1995: A Medecins Sans Frontieres Report. La Decouverte Pub, 1995: pp 71–82.
10. Pyles, JR, Lasseter, JA, Lundqvist, RA: Rebuilding in Bosnia: International Medical Corps, Bosnia Project Emergency Medicine Development Program, Zenica, Herzegovina. Ann Emerg Med 1996;27(4):531–532.
11. Geiger, HJ, Cook-Deegan, RM: The role of physicians in conflict and humanitarian crisis. Case studies from the field missions of Physicians for Human Rights, 1988 to 1993. JAMA 1993;270(5):616–620.
12. Lamont-Gregory, E, Henry, CJ, Ryan, TJ: Evidence based humanitarian relief interventions. 1995;346(8970):312–313.
13. Taylor, CE: Changing patterns in international health: Motivation and relationships. Am J Pub Health 1979;69(8):803–808.
14. VanRooyen, M, Eliades, J, Stress, M, Grabowski, G et al. : Perceived effectiveness of international medical personnel working in Bosnia. JAMA 1999;282(5)428–429.