1. Arnold, L., Stochastic differential equations: theory and applications (Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1974).
2. Averina, T. A. and Artemiev, S. S., Numerical analysis of systems of ordinary and stochastic differential equations (VSP, Utrecht, 1997).
3. Baker, C. T. H., ‘Retarded differential equations’, J. Comput. Appl. Math., in press.
4. Baker, C. T. H., Bocharov, G. A., Paul, C. A. H. and Rihan, F. A., ‘Modelling and analysis of time-lags in some basic patterns of cell proliferation’, J. Math. Biol. 37 (1998)341–371.
5. Beuter, A. and Bélair, J., ‘Feedback and delays in neurological diseases: a modelling study using dynamical systems’, Bull. Math. Biol. 55 (1993) 525–541.
6. Burrage, K. and Platen, E., ‘Runge-Kutta methods for stochastic differential equations’, Ann. Numer. Math. 1 (1994) 63–78.
7. Clark, J. M. C., ‘The discretization of stochastic differential equations: a primer’, Road Vehicle Systems and Related Mathematics, Proc. 2nd DMV-GAMM Workshop, Torino, 1987 (ed. Neunzert, H., Teubner, Stuttgart, and Kluwer Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, 1988) 163–179.
8. Crauel, H. and Gundlach, M. (eds), Stochastic dynamics, Papers from the Conference on Random Dynamical Systems, Bremen, April 28-May 2 1997 (Springer, New York, 1999).
9. Driver, R. D., Ordinary and delay differential equations, Appl. Math. Sci. 20 (Springer, New York, 1977).
10. Eurich, C. W. and Milton, J. G., ‘Noise-induced transitions in human postural sway’, Phys. Rev. E 54 (1996) 6681‘6684 1996).
11. Gaines, J. G. and Lyons, T. L., ‘Variable step size control in the numerical solution of stochastic differential equations’, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 57 (1997) 1455–1484.
12. Gard, T. C., Introduction to stochastic differential equations (Marcel-Dekker, New York, Basel, 1988).
13. Hofmann, N., Müller-Gronbach, T. and Ritter, K., ‘Optimal approximation of stochastic differential equations by adaptive step-size control’, Math. Comp. 69 (2000) 1017–1034.
14. Karatzas, I. and Shreve, S. E., Brownian motion and stochastic calculus (Springer, New York, 1991).
15. Kloeden, P. E. and Platen, E., Numerical solution of stochastic differential equations (Springer, Berlin, 1992).
16. Kolmanovskiĭ, V. and Myshkis, A., Applied theory of functional-differential equations (Kluwer Academic Publishers Group, Dordrecht, 1992).
17. Küchler, U. and Platen, E., ‘Strong discrete time approximation of stochastic differential equations with time delay’, Discussion paper, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373 (ISSN 1436–1086) 25, Humboldt University, Berlin (1999).
18. Mackey, M. C., Longtin, A., Milton, J. G. and Bos, J. E., ‘Noise and critical behaviour of the pupil light reflex at oscillation onset’, Phys. Rev. A 41 (1990) 6992–7005.
19. Mao, X., Stochastic differential equations and their applications (Horwood Publishing, Chichester, 1997).
20. Mauthner, S., ‘Step size control in the numerical solution of stochastic differential equations’, J. Comput. Appl. Math. 100 (1998) 93–109.
21. Milstein, G. N., Numerical integration of stochastic differential equations (translated and revised from the 1988 Russian original) (Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1995).
22. Mizel, V. J. and Trutzer, V., ‘Stochastic hereditary equations: existence and asymptotic stability’, J. Integral Equations 7 (1984) 1–72.
23. Mohammed, S. E. A., Stochastic functional differential equations (Pitman Advanced Publishing Program, Boston, MA, 1984).
24. Mohammed, S. E. A., ‘Stochastic differential systems with memory. Theory, examples and applications’, Stochastic analysis and related topics VI, The Geilo Work shop, 1996, Progress in Probability (ed. Decreusefond, L., Gjerde, J., Oksendal, B. and Ustunel, A. S., Birkhauser, 1998) 1–77.
25. Platen, E., ‘An introduction to numerical methods for stochastic differential equations’, Acta Numerica 8 (1999) 195–244.
26. Saito, Y. and Mitsui, T., ‘Stability analysis of numerical schemes for stochastic differential equations’, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 33 (1996) 2254–2267.
27. Talay, D., ‘Simulation of stochastic differential systems’, Probabilistic methods in applied physics, Lecture Notes in Phys. 451 (ed. Kree, P. and Wedig, W., Springer, Berlin, 1995) 54–96.
28. Tudor, M., ‘Approximation schemes for stochastic equations with hereditary argument’ (in Romanian), Stud. Cere. Mat. 44 (1992) 73–85.
29. Williams, D., Probability with martingales (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991).
30. Zennaro, M., ‘Delay differential equations: theory and numerics’, Theory and numerics of ordinary and partial differential equations, Leicester, 1994 (ed. Ainsworth, M., Levesley, J., Light, W. A. and Marletta, M., Oxford University Press, New York, 1995) 291–333.