Professor Jenny Cheshire is completing her tenure in December 2019 as Editor of Language in Society (LiS). Cambridge University Press is now inviting applications for the position of Editor. A team of two Co-Editors will also be considered. Final appointment decisions will be made by the Syndicate of Cambridge University Press.
The deadline for applications is March 1, 2018.
Language in Society is an international journal of sociolinguistics concerned with language and discourse as aspects of social life. The journal publishes empirical articles of general theoretical, comparative or methodological interest to students and scholars in sociolinguistics, linguistic anthropology, and related fields. LiS aims to strengthen international scholarship and interdisciplinary conversation and cooperation among researchers interested in language and society by publishing work of high quality which speaks to a wide audience. In addition to original articles, the journal publishes reviews and notices of the latest important books in the field as well as occasional theme and discussions sections.
LiS published volume 47 in 2018. Its 2017 Impact Factor was 1.426, placing it 45 of 181 journals in the Linguistics JCR and 56 of 147 journals in the Sociology JCR (ranked by Impact Factor).
Interested applicants should send a curriculum vita and cover letter along with an abbreviated development plan (not to exceed two pages) and the names and email addresses of three referees, to Amy Laurent at Cambridge University Press (details below).
Editorial responsibilities will include:
- Shaping the strategic direction of the journal, in cooperation with Cambridge
- Organizing and managing the editorial office, with support from Cambridge
- Managing the peer review process (the journal uses the ScholarOne system)
- Making final article acceptance decisions
- Editing and proofing articles for the journal
- Proposing and working with members of an active Editorial Board
- Attending relevant conferences and an annual editorial meeting
In your application, please indicate your:
- Experience of publishing in the field
- Editorial experience, ideally with an academic journal
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and work as part of a team
- Strong professional and academic links
- Organizational, communication and IT skills
- Institutional support, financial or otherwise, to aid your work on the journal
- Proposed plan for development, including areas such as:
- Engagement of journal reviewers and editorial board members
- Areas of focus for commissioning
- Journal metrics
Please direct applications and any questions to Amy Laurent, Editor, Cambridge University Press at email@example.com. Please use Language in Society Call for Editor as your email subject line.