page 120 note 1 Information from Dr. V. E. Nash-Williams; his report is published in Bulletin of Celtic Studies, 1951, 76 ff., to the Editor of which we are indebted for the loan of the block (fig. 13).
page 120 note 2 Herald of Wales, 19th August, 1950; Chester Chronicle, 24th June, 1950.
page 120 note 3 W. A. Anderson, in ‘Fifth Report of the Scottish Regional Group of the Council for British Archaeology’.
page 120 note 5 Information from Mr. Frank Newall, the excavator. See also Steer, K. A., Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot., LXXXIII, 1951, 28 ff.
page 120 note 6 Miss Robertson carried out the work under the auspices of the Hunterian Museum, Glasgow University. Information from the ‘Fifth Report of the Scottish Regional Group of the C.B.A.’ See also above, p. 57.
page 122 note 7 His report is published in the Dumfries and Galloway Nat. Hist, and Antiq. Soc. Trans. 28, 199 ff., with plan here reproduced by the kindness of the Editor, who lent this block and that of fig. 16.
page 122 note 8 Information from Mr. R. W. Feachem, who found the fort by examining air-photographs : ibid. 28, 188, fig. 16.
page 122 note 8a Proc. Soc. Antiq. Newc. VII4, 1935–6, 107 ff. Professor Richmond's report will be published in Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot.
page 122 note 9 On behalf of the Durham University Excavation Committee and the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
page 124 note 10 A report is to appear in Archaeologia Aeliana, now in the press, and a full description of the building in a future issue of Archaeologia.
page 124 note 11 Information from Professor I. A. Richmond.
page 125 note 12 Information from Mr. Graham Webster.
page 125 note 13 Hildyard, E. J. and Wade, W. V., Yorks. Arch. Journ. 37, 521 f., with two air photographs; and cf. ibid. 402 ff., also JRS XXX, 166.
page 125 note 14 Kirk and Corder, Roman Malton and District Report, no. 2, 1930, and M. Kitson Clark, Gazeteer of Roman Remains in East Yorkshire 1935, 99 ff.
page 126 note 15 Information from Mr. Derek Smith, who was in charge of this excavation for the Ministry of Works; we are indebted to him for the plan.
page 126 note 16 Yorks. Arch. Journ. 37, 524 f.; cf. JRS XXXIX, 101.
page 126 note 17 Hull Museum Publications, nos. 23 (1905) and 33 (1906); M. Kitson Clark, o.c. 87.
page 126 note 18 Information from E. Mellor, who, with C. Grantham and C. Billing, carried out the work for the Augustinian Society.
page 126 note 19 Slack, P. E., Yorks. Arch. Journ. 37, 514 ff.
page 127 note 20 Corder, Excavations at Brough, East Yorkshire, in 1934, pp. 9 f., fig. 3; o.c. in 1937, pp. 10, 27, fig. 5; see also JRS XXV, 208; XXVIII, 180 f.
page 127 note 21 Information from Mr. Charles Green. The work has been carried out by Mr. J. H. Freear with boys of the County Primary School, Welton.
page 127 note 22 J. W. Baggaley, Num. Chron. 1950, 315 ff., with description and drawing of the jar by Dr. P. Corder. The coins have been acquired by Sheffield City Museum.
page 127 note 23 Information from Mr. F. T. Baker.
page 127 note 24 It was dug out by the De Aston Grammar School boys.
page 127 note 25 The earthwork and the villa were excavated by the members of the Summer School in Romano British Archaeology held at Great Casterton in August 1950 organized by the Department of Adult Education of Nottingham University and directed by Dr. Philip Corder.
page 130 note 26 Summary of a report, including a full illustrated account of the late fourth-century pottery from the villa, published in The Roman Town and Villa at Great Casterton, Rutland, by members of the Summer School in Romano-British Archaeology, edited by Dr. Philip Corder (pp. 42 + 2 pls. + 10 text-figs. Nottingham University, 1951, 5s.). To the publishers we are indebted for the loan of the blocks of figs. 18 and 19.
page 130 note 27 R. A. G. Carson, Num. Chron. 1949, 259.
page 130 note 28 ibid. 260.
page 130 note 29 VCH Shropshire 1, 258, 272.
page 130 note 30 Information from Miss E. Sladdin, who is carrying out the investigation for the Shropshire Archaeological Society.
page 130 note 31 VCH Oxon. 1, 313, 315 ff. The work was carried out by the O. U. Archaeological Society under the direction of N. Thomas and A. Hunter.
page 130 note 32 Information from Mr. Biddle, Merchant Taylors' School.
page 130 note 33 Detailed report by S. Applebaum, Director of the excavations, in Lond. & Mid. Arch. Soc. Trans. X, 201 ff. For information of this site see Vulliamy, The Archaeology of Middlesex and London (1930), 202 ff. Sulloniacis is mentioned in the Antonine Itinerary (Parthey and Pinder ed., 224), as 12 miles from London and 9 from Verulamium.
page 130 note 34 Camb. Antiq. Soc. Proc. XLIV, 18 ff.
page 132 note 35 Mainzer Zeitschrift 44/5, 1949–50, 33, fig. 8, where, however, the inner mask is attached to the outer one by ‘hook and eye’.
page 132 note 36 J. Keim and H. Klumbach, Der römische Schatzfund von Straubing 1951, plates 21, 1, and 29, 1 and 2. See below, pp. 168 ff.
page 132 note 37 Cf. the cavalry helmet from Heddernheim at Frankfurt-am-Main, which has a similar T-shaped opening, also unfilled: Mittheilungen über Heddernheim 1, 1894, pl. 4.
page 132 note 38 Keim and Klumbach, o.c. pls. 5, 6, 7, 10, 11.
page 132 note 39 Cf. the mask from Rodez (Aveyron) in the Rodez Museum (Germania XVI, 1932, 56, fig. 3), which offers the closest extant parallel to the Worthing mask.
page 132 note 40 Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin, no. 3, 1951
page 132 note 43 Major Brinson carried out the work for the Roman Essex Society and reported it in the Arch. News-Letter, February, 1951, where he points out that Rivenhall is 12 Roman miles from Moulsham, which has been identified with Caesaromagus, the second station on the London–Colchester Roman road, according to the Antonine Itinerary, and that the third station is Canonium, 12 miles from Caesaromagus (cf. Inventory of Essex (RCHM) III, 1922, 193).
page 133 note 44 See JRS IX, 144, fig. 15. The area is now part of Castle Park.
page 133 note 45 Essex Arch. Soc. Trans, n.s. IX, 123. Corrections to the plan shown in JRS IX, 144, fig. 15, are ‘58 ft.’ for ‘45 ft.’ and ‘20 ft.’ for ‘15 ft.’
page 133 note 46 Essex Arch. Soc. Trans, XVI (1921), 15 ff.; hence JRS IX, 149, fig. 18, no. 36, and cf. Hull, in JRS XXXI, 137. For recent plan of Roman Colchester, see n. 47.
page 133 note 47 For a recent plan of the Roman town see M. R. Hull, Roman Colchester, a brief Account (published by the Colchester and Essex Museum, price 2s. 6d.), p. 19.
page 134 note 48 Information from Mr. M. R. Hull, on behalf of the Ministry of Works.
page 134 note 49 The work was carried out by the Roman Essex Society under Mr. Hull's direction.
page 134 note 50 Information from Mr. M. R. Hull. For Neville's excavations see Brit. Arch. Assoc. Journ. IV, 368; Arch.Journ. VI, 19, 22, and Essex Inventory (RCHM) 1, 1916, XXI ff.
page 134 note 51 Information from Mr. W. F. Grimes, the director of the excavations carried out by the Roman and Medieval London Excavation Council.
page 135 note 52 Discoveries on Walbrook 1949–50, by 1. Noel Hume (Guildhall Museum Publications, 1950), with plan and illustrations. We are indebted to Mr. Raymond Smith, Librarian and Curator to the Corporation of London, for the photograph of the bowl. For inscribed objects, see below, pp. 144 f., nos. 19, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29–32.
page 135 note 53 Report of the excavation by Miss Kenyon, K. M. in the Woolhope Club Trans, XXXIII, 148 ff.
page 135 note 54 Information from Mrs. H. E. O'Neil, the supervisor of the excavation, who kindly sent plan and photograph (pl. XII, I).
page 136 note 55 By the Clevedon and District Archaeological Society.
page 136 note 56 Information from Mr. P. A. Rahtz, the excavator.
page 136 note 57 Information from Mr. C. A. Ralegh Radford, who directed the excavation for an Excavation School organized by Mr. W. A. Seaby on behalf of the Somerset Archaeological Society, in whose Proceedings the report will be published. For the plan, see Antiquity 1951, 30 f., fig. 1. The building resembles in type the Iron Age house excavated at Little Woodbury, Wilts (Proc. Prehist. Soc. N.S. VI, 78 flf.).
page 136 note 58 Information from Mr. J. S. Cox.
page 136 note 59 Information from Mr. L. C. Hayward, who directs the work of the Yeovil School Archaeological Society.
page 136 note 60 Information from Lady Fox, who was in charge of the excavation on behalf of the Ministry of Works A full account will appear next year with the rest of the Exeter material in Roman Exeter, a monograph to be published by the History of Exeter Research Group of the University College of the South-West.
page 136 note 61 Information from Lady Fox. Report to be published in Devon Assoc. Trans, for 1951.
page 137 note 62 Information from Mr. R. A. H. Farrer, who received reports from Mr. F. Moore.
page 137 note 63 Dorset Daily Echo, 22nd September, 1950.
page 137 note 64 D. Charlesworth, in Wilts. Arch. Mag. LIII 489 f.
page 137 note 66 Information from Mr. D. B. Connah, the finder of the site, who dug it out under the direction of Mrs. Cotton.
page 137 note 67 Manchester Guardian, 7th September, 1950.
page 137 note 68 G. W. Phillips,in Arch. News Letter, May, 1950, 200 ff., with map.
page 137 note 69 B. H. Lucas, in Sussex N. & Q. XIII, 16 ff.
page 138 note 70 Report from Lt.-Col. Meates, G. W., whose first account is published in Arch. Cantiana LXIII, 1–49, and includes appendices on the marble busts by Miss J. M. C. Toynbee and on the mosaics and the painted wall-plaster in the Basement Room by Mr. C. D. P. Nicholson, who has been able to give a detailed description of the various designs from dado to frieze.
page 140 note 71 Information from Mr. Sheppard Frere, the Director of the excavation for Canterbury Excavation Committee, to whom we are indebted for the plan and map. Traces of a much earlier settlement in Canterbury, possibly of c. 200 B.C., were found in a cellar on the east side of Castle Street and south of S. John' s Lane; see note by Messrs. Boyle and Jenkins, in Arch. News-Letter 1951, 145 f.
page 140 note 72 Information from Mrs. Murray Threipland, who directed the excavations for the Dover Excavation Committee; cf. also VCH Kent III, 42, pl. 8, plan.
page 140 note 1 When measurements are quoted the width precedes the height. The following abbreviations are used in addition to the usual ones, with super script figures to denote the number of the series: AA = Archaeologia Aeliana; BMQ = British Museum Quarterly; EE = Ephemeris Epigraphica; ILN = Illustrated London News.
page 140 note 2 The owner, Mr. G. Scrutton, of the Dower House, Daglingworth, kindly sent it for examination in the Ashmolean Museum, where the present writer saw it. The Rev. F. W. Potto-Hicks kindly sent full information and a photograph.
page 140 note 3 JRS XL (1950), 102, fig. 20, no. 10.
page 140 note 4 Information and photograph kindly supplied by Dr. V. E. Nash-Williams.
page 140 note 5 EE IV, 669.
page 141 note 6 AA4 XXVIII (1950), 136.
page 141 note 7 CIL VII, 1150; EE IX, 1249. Now in Tudor House Museum, Southampton.
page 141 note 8 Six other milestones of Gordian have been found: at Bitterne, CIL VII, 1149; Gwennap, JRS XXXIV (1944), 88; Aberavon, CIL VII, 1159 = EE VII, 1098; Scalesceugh, CW 2 XVI, (1916) 282; Lanchester, CIL VII, 1183; Wellington, JRS XXXIII (1943), 80.
page 141 note 9 B.M. ms. Cotton Julius C. VI, f. 37, commenting on Calpurnius Agricola: ‘Tabula plumbea nuper aratro eruta in agro Wellensi cum inscriptione nominis Antonini et Veri ab hoc forsan Calp. Agricola erecta fuit.’ Leland wrongly thought that the lead ingots were trophies. Details kindly sent by Mr. T. C. Skeat.
page 141 note 10 CIL VII, 1201; EE IX, p. 642; VCH Somerset1, 340.
page 142 note 11 It occurs on a Domitianic diploma, ILS 1997, and in Rome, CIL VI, 611.
page 142 note 12 ILS 6700, sevir apparently of Verona.
page 142 note 13 Nash-Williams, , Bulletin of Celtic Studies XIII (1950), 242, fig. 9.
page 142 note 14 Dr. D. B. Harden kindly cites a similar fragment from Vindonissa (Brugg Museum, no. 6826) which may well be from the same mould.
page 142 note 15 Brailsford, ILN 26th August, 1950, 306, with plate; BMQ XVI (1951), 18 f., with plate.
page 142 note 15a Holder Altcelt. Sprachsch. cites seven instances in Gaul and N. Italy.
page 143 note 16 Toynbee, and Clarke, , JRS XXXVIII (1948), 20. Now in Norwich Museum.
page 143 note 17 Mr. G. Webster kindly sent full details.
page 143 note 18 Mr. G. Webster kindly sent full details.
page 143 note 19 JRS XL (1950), 96. The tiles are in South Shields Museum.
page 143 note 20 JRS XI (1921), 239, pl. XXIII, 2.
page 143 note 21 Mr. F. H. Thompson, who undertook the work for the Ministry of Works, kindly sent the brick and full details.
page 144 note 22 Mr. N. Cook kindly made available this, and other, finds now placed in Guildhall Museum. See above, p. 135.
page 144 note 23 Mr. S. S. Frere kindly sent this, and two other, fragments from Canterbury. See above, p. 139.
page 144 note 24 For the Walbrook site, see above, pp. 135 f.
page 144 note 25 Mr. M. H. Callender suggested [Gem]ellum, and the present writer the rest. For gemellum cf. CIL XV, 4572. Pliny, NH XIV, §22, says that one variety of vine was named from its twin clusters.
page 145 note 26 Mr. Dare consulted the present writer about the interpretation and published it in Arch. Cant, LXII (1949), 94, with figure.