1. Tanaka, H, Yamaguchi, T, Hachiya, K. et al. Treatment outcomes and late toxicities of intensity-modulated radiation therapy for 1091 Japanese patients with localized prostate cancer. Rep Pract Oncol Radiother 2018; 23 (1): 28–33.
2. Halperin, EC, Brady, LW, Perez, CA. Perez & Brady’s principles and practice of radiation oncology, 6th edition. Philadelphia, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013.
3. Nelms, BE, Robinson, G, Markham, J et al. Variation in external beam treatment plan quality: an inter-institutional study of planners and planning systems. Pract Radiat Oncol 2012; 2 (4): 296–305.
4. Sun, L, Smith, W, Ghose, A, Kirkby, C. A quantitative assessment of the consequences of allowing dose heterogeneity in prostate radiation therapy planning. J Appl Clin Med Phys 2018; 19: 580–590.
5. Craft, D, Khan, F, Young, M, Bortfeld, T. The price of target dose uniformity. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2016; 96: 913–914.
6. Matzinger, O, Poortmans, P, Giraud, JY et al. Quality assurance in the22991 EORTC ROG trial in localized prostate cancer: dummy run and individual case review. Radiother Oncol. 2009; 90 (3): 285–290.
7. Pollack, A, Walker, G, Horwitz, EM et al. Randomized trial of hypofractionated external-beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31 (31): 3860–3868.
8. Pollack, A, Hanlon, AL, Horwitz, EM et al. Dosimetry and preliminary acute toxicity in the first 100 men treated for prostate cancer on a randomized hypofractionation dose escalation trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006; 64 (2): 518–526.
9. International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements. ICRU Report 50. Prescribing, recording, and reporting photon beam therapy. J ICRU, Bethesda, MD, 1993; 21(November): 357–360.
10. International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements. ICRU Report 62. Prescribing, recording and reporting photon beam therapy (supplement to ICRU report 50). J ICRU Bethesda, MD, 1999.
11. International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements. ICRU Report 83. Prescribing, recording, and reporting photon-beam intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). J ICRU, 2010;10(1).
12. Tol, JP, Dahele, M, Doornaert, P et al. Toward optimal organ at risk sparing in complex volumetric modulated arc therapy: an exponential trade-off with target volume dose homogeneity. Med Phys 2014; 41 (2): 021722.
13. Craft, D, McQuaid, D, Wala, J, Chen, W, Salari, E, Bortfeld, T. Multicriteria VMAT optimization. Med Phys 2012; 39 (2): 686–696.
14. Paddick, I. A simple scoring ratio to index the conformity of radiosurgical treatment plans. J. Neurosurg 2000; 93 (Suppl 3): 219–222.
15. Emami, B, Lyman, J, Brown, A et al. Tolerance of normal tissue to therapeutic irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1991; 21 (1): 109–122.
16. Milano, MT, Constine, LS, Okunieff, P. Normal tissue tolerance dose metrics for radiation therapy of major organs. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2007; 17 (2): 131–140.
17. Niemierko, A, Goitein, M. Implementation of a model for estimating tumor control probability for an inhomogeneously irradiated tumor. Radiother Oncol. 1993; 29: 140–147.
18. Gay, HA, Niemierko, A. A free program for calculating EUD‐based NTCP and TCP in external beam radiotherapy. Phys Med. 2007; 23: 115–125.
19. Wall, PD, Carver, RL, Fontenot, JD. An improved distance-to-dose correlation for predicting bladder and rectum dose-volumes in knowledge-based VMAT planning for prostate cancer. Phys Med Biol 2018; 63 (1): 015035.
20. Landoni, V, Fiorino, C, Cozzarini, C, Sanguineti, G, Valdagni, R, Rancati, T. Predicting toxicity in radiotherapy for prostate cancer. Phys Med. 2016; 32: 521–532.
21. Goitein, M. Causes and consequences of inhomogeneous dose distributions in radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1986; 12: 701–704.
22. Nielsen, TB, Hansen, O, Schytte, T, Brink, C. Inhomogeneous dose escalation increases expected local control for NSCLC patients with lymph node involvement without increased mean lung dose. Acta Oncol. 2014; 53: 119–125.
23. Balderson, MJ, Kirkby, C. Potential implications of the bystander effect on TCP and EUD when considering target volume dose heterogeneity. Int J Radiat Biol 2015; 91: 54–61.
24. Mavroidis, P, Komisopoulos, G, Buckey, C et al. Radiobiological evaluation of prostate cancer IMRT and conformal-RT plans using different treatment protocols. Phys Medica Eur J Med Phys 2017; 40: 33–41.