1. Pinhas-Hamiel, O, Zeitler, P. The global spread of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. J Pediatr. 2005; 146, 693–700.
2. Amed, S, Dean, H, Panagiotopoulos, S, et al. Type 2 diabetes, medication-induced diabetes, and monogenic diabetes in Canadian children: a prospective national surveillance study. Diabetes Care. 2010; 33, 786–791.
3. Sellers, EAC, Wicklow, BA, Dean, HJ. Clinical and demographic characteristics of type 2 diabetes in youth at diagnosis in Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario (2006–2011). Can J Diab. 2012; 36, 114–118.
4. Dart, AB, Martens, PJ, Rigatto, C, et al. Earlier onset of complications in youth with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2014; 37, 436–443.
5. Dabelea, D, Hanson, RL, Lindsay, RS, et al. Intrauterine exposure to diabetes conveys risks for type 2 diabetes and obesity: a study of discordant sibships. Diabetes. 2000; 49, 2208–2211.
6. Young, TK, Martens, PJ, Taback, SP, et al. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children: prenatal and early infancy risk factors among native Canadians. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2002; 156, 651–655.
7. Dabelea, D, Mayer-Davis, EJ, Lamichhane, AP, et al. Association of intrauterine exposure to maternal diabetes and obesity with type 2 diabetes in youth: the SEARCH Case-Control Study. Diabetes Care. 2008; 31, 1422–1426.
8. Dean, H. Type 2 diabetes in youth: a new epidemic. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2001; 498, 1–5.
9. Dean, HJ, Mundy, RL, Moffatt, M. Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in Indian children in Manitoba. CMAJ. 1992; 147, 52–57.
10. Hegele, RA, Cao, H, Harris, SB, Hanley, AJ, Zinman, B. The hepatic nuclear factor-1alpha G319S variant is associated with early-onset type 2 diabetes in Canadian Oji-Cree. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84, 1077–1082.
11. Pontoglio, M, Sreenan, S, Roe, M, et al. Defective insulin secretion in hepatocyte nuclear factor 1alpha-deficient mice. J Clin Invest. 1998; 101, 2215–2222.
12. Okita, K, Yang, Q, Yamagata, K, et al. Human insulin gene is a target gene of hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha (HNF-1alpha) and HNF-1beta. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999; 263, 566–569.
13. Yang, Q, Yamagata, K, Yamamoto, K, et al. Structure/function studies of hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha, a diabetes-associated transcription factor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999; 266, 196–202.
14. Harries, LW, Sloman, MJ, Sellers, EA, Hattersley, AT, Ellard, S. Diabetes susceptibility in the Canadian Oji-Cree population is moderated by abnormal mRNA processing of HNF1A G319S transcripts. Diabetes. 2008; 57, 1978–1982.
15. Triggs-Raine, BL, Kirkpatrick, RD, Kelly, SL, et al. HNF-1alpha G319S, a transactivation-deficient mutant, is associated with altered dynamics of diabetes onset in an Oji-Cree community. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002; 99, 4614–4619.
16. Sellers, EA, Triggs-Raine, BL, Rockman-Greenberg, C, Dean, HJ. The prevalence of the HNF-1alpha G319S mutation in Canadian aboriginal youth with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002; 25, 2202–2206.
17. Jonasson, ME, Wicklow, BA, Sellers, EA, Dolinsky, VW, Doucette, CA. Exploring the role of the HNF-1alpha G319S polymorphism in beta cell failure and youth-onset type 2 diabetes: lessons from MODY and Hnf-1alpha-deficient animal models. Biochem Cell Biol. 2015; 93, 487–494.
18. Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines Expert Committee. Canadian Diabetes Association 2008 clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and management of diabetes in Canada. Can J Diabetes, 2008: 37: S1–S201.
19. Kuczmarski, RJ, Ogden, CL, Grummar-Strawn, LM, et al. CDC growth charts: United States. Adv Data. 2000; 314, 1–27.
20. Amed, S, Islam, N, Sutherland, J, Reimer, K. Incidence and prevalence trends of youth-onset type 2 diabetes in a cohort of Canadian youth: 2002-2013. Pediatr Diabetes. 2018; 19: 630–636.
21. Matyka, KA. Type 2 diabetes in childhood: epidemiological and clinical aspects. Br Med Bull. 2008; 86, 59–75.
22. Linares Segovia, B, Gutierrez Tinoco, M, Izquierdo Arrizon, A, Guizar Mendoza, JM, Amador Licona, N. Long-term consequences for offspring of paternal diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Exp Diabetes Res. 2012; 2012, 684562.
23. Ruchat, SM, Hivert, MF, Bouchard, L. Epigenetic programming of obesity and diabetes by in utero exposure to gestational diabetes mellitus. Nutr Rev. 2013; 71(Suppl. 1), S88–S94.
24. Houde, AA, Ruchat, SM, Allard, C, et al. LRP1B, BRD2 and CACNA1D: new candidate genes in fetal metabolic programming of newborns exposed to maternal hyperglycemia. Epigenomics. 2015; 7, 1111–1122.
25. del Rosario, MC, Ossowski, V, Knowler, WC, et al. Potential epigenetic dysregulation of genes associated with MODY and type 2 diabetes in humans exposed to a diabetic intrauterine environment: an analysis of genome-wide DNA methylation. Metabolism. 2014; 63, 654–660.
26. Quilter, CR, Cooper, WN, Cliffe, KM, et al. Impact on offspring methylation patterns of maternal gestational diabetes mellitus and intrauterine growth restraint suggest common genes and pathways linked to subsequent type 2 diabetes risk. FASEB J. 2014; 28, 4868–4879.
27. O’Connor, EA, Evans, CV, Burda, BU, et al. Screening for obesity and intervention for weight management in children and adolescents: evidence report and systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2017; 317, 2427–2444.
28. Dabelea, D, Harrod, CS. Role of developmental overnutrition in pediatric obesity and type 2 diabetes. Nutr Rev. 2013; 71(Suppl 1), S62–S67.
29. Bjerregaard, LG, Jensen, BW, Angquist, L, et al. Change in overweight from childhood to early adulthood and risk of type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2018; 378, 1302–1312.
30. Charison, J, Wicklow, BA, Dean, HJ, Sellers, EA. The metabolic phenotype of youth onset type 2 diabetes: the role of pregestational diabetes exposure and the hepatic nuclear factor 1Alpha G319S Polymorphism. Can J Diabetes. 2016; 40, 210–215.
31. Wicklow, BA, Wittmeier, KD, MacIntosh, AC, et al. Metabolic consequences of hepatic steatosis in overweight and obese adolescents. Diabetes Care. 2012; 35, 905–910.
32. Saad, V, Wicklow, B, Wittmeier, K, et al. A clinically relevant method to screen for hepatic steatosis in overweight adolescents: a cross sectional study. BMC Pediatr. 2015; 15, 151.
33. Volkmar, M, Dedeurwaerder, S, Cunha, DA, et al. DNA methylation profiling identifies epigenetic dysregulation in pancreatic islets from type 2 diabetic patients. EMBO J. 2012; 31, 1405–1426.
34. Strawbridge, RJ, Dupuis, J, Prokopenko, I, et al. Genome-wide association identifies nine common variants associated with fasting proinsulin levels and provides new insights into the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes. 2011; 60, 2624–2634.
35. Chen, P, Piaggi, P, Trautig, M, et al. Differential methylation of genes in individuals exposed to maternal diabetes in utero. Diabetologia. 2017; 60, 645–655.