1. Liverman, CT, et al. (Eds.). The CTSA Program at NIH: Opportunities for Advancing Clinical and Translational Research. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2013.
3. Woolf, SH. The meaning of translational research and why it matters. JAMA 2008; 299: 211–213.
4. Holzer, J, Kass, N. Community engagement strategies in the original and renewal applications for CTSA grant funding. Clinical and Translational Science 2014; 7: 38–43.
5. Colditz, GA, et al. Translating science to practice: community and academic perspectives. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 2008; 14: 144–149.
6. Michener, L, et al. Clinical and Translational Science Awards and Community Engagement. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2009; 37: 464–467.
7. Sung, NS, et al. Central challenges facing the national clinical research enterprise. JAMA 2003; 289: 1278–1287.
8. Wallerstein, N, Duran, B. Community-based participatory research contributions to intervention research: the intersection of science and practice to improve health equity. American Journal of Public Health 2010; 100(Suppl. 1): S40–S46.
9. Carter-Edwards, L, et al. Report on CTSA consortium use of the community engagement consultative service. Clinical and Translational Science 2013; 6: 34–39.
10. Matthews, AK, et al. Development, implementation and evaluation of a community engagement advisory board: strategies for maximizing success. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science 2018, doi:10.1017/cts.2018.13 [Epub ahead of print].
12. Qualtrics. Qualtrics software for survey research. Provo, UT: Qualtrics [Internet], 2005. (http://www.qualtrics.com).
13. Morgan, DL. The Focus Group Guidebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 1997.
14. Stewart, DW, Shamdasani, PN, Rook, DW.
Focus Groups: Theory and Practice. Applied Social Research Methods Series
. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 1990.
15. Adams, AK, et al. Using community advisory boards to reduce environmental barriers to health in American Indian Communities, Wisconsin, 2007–2012. Preventing Chronic Disease 2014; 11: E160.
16. Isler, MR, et al. Across the miles: process and impacts of collaboration with a rural community advisory board in HIV research. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action 2015; 9: 41–48.
17. Bowers, B, Jacobson, N, Krupp, A. Can lay community advisors improve the clarity of research participant recruitment materials and increase the likelihood of participation? Research in Nursing & Health 2017; 40: 63–69.
18. CTSA Community Engagement Key Function Committee. Researchers and Their Communities: The Challenge of Meaningful Community Engagement. Bethesda, MD: National Center for Research Resources; 2008.
19. Eder, M, et al. Special issue introduction: building a stronger science of community-engaged research. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action 2012; 6: 227–230.
20. Zerhouni, EA. Translational and clinical science—time for a new vision. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 353: 1621–1623.
21. Newman, SD, et al. Community advisory boards in community-based participatory research: a synthesis of best processes. Prevention of Chronic Diseases 2011; 8/3: A70.