1. Organised inpatient (stroke unit) care for stroke. Stroke Unit Trialists’ Collaboration. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev (Online). 2000;2:CD000197.
2. Audebert, HJ, Kukla, C, Clarmann von Claranau, S, et al. Telemedicine for safe and extended use of thrombolysis in stroke: The Telemedic Pilot Project for Integrative Stroke Care (TEMPiS) in Bavaria. Stroke. 2005;36:287–291.
3. Audebert, HJ, Kukla, C, Vatankhah, B, et al. Comparison of tissue plasminogen activator administration management between telestroke network hospitals and academic stroke centers: The telemedical pilot project for integrative stroke care in Bavaria/Germany. Stroke. 2006;37:1822–1827.
4. Audebert, HJ, Schenkel, J, Heuschmann, PU, et al. Effects of the implementation of a telemedical stroke network: The Telemedic Pilot Project for Integrative Stroke Care (TEMPiS) in Bavaria, Germany [see comment]. Lancet Neurol. 2006;5:742–748.
5. Audebert, HJ, Schultes, K, Tietz, V, et al. Long-term effects of specialized stroke care with telemedicine support in community hospitals on behalf of the Telemedical Project for Integrative Stroke Care (TEMPiS). Stroke. 2009;40:902–908.
6. Caro, JJ, Huybrechts, KF, Duchesne, I. For the Stroke Economic Analysis Group. Management patterns and costs of acute ischemic stroke: An international study. Stroke. 2000;31:582–590.
7. Choi, JY, Porche, NA, Albright, KC, et al. Using telemedicine to facilitate thrombolytic therapy for patients with acute stroke. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2006;32:199–205.
8. Demaerschalk, BM, Miley, ML, Kiernan, TE, et al. Stroke telemedicine. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009;84:53–64.
9. Deshpande, A, Khoja, S, McKibbon, A, et al. Telehealth for acute stroke management (Telestroke): Systematic review of analytic studies and environmental scan of relevant initiatives. Ottawa: Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH); 2008.
10. Frey, JL, Jahnke, HK, Goslar, PW, et al. tPA by telephone: Extending the benefits of a comprehensive stroke center. Neurology. 2005;64:154–156.
11. Handschu, R, Scibor, M, Willaczek, B, et al. Telemedicine in acute stroke: Remote video-examination compared to simple telephone consultation. J Neurol. 2008;255:1792–1797.
12. Hess, DC, Wang, S, Hamilton, W, et al. REACH: Clinical feasibility of a rural telestroke network. Stroke. 2005;36:2018–2020.
13. Kuhle, S, Mitchell, L, Andrew, M, et al. Urgent clinical challenges in children with ischemic stroke: Analysis of 1065 patients from the 1-800-NOCLOTS pediatric stroke telephone consultation service [see comment]. Stroke. 2006;37:116–122.
14. LaMonte, MP, Bahouth, MN, Hu, P, et al. Telemedicine for acute stroke: Triumphs and pitfalls. Stroke. 2003;34:725–728.
15. Lopez, AD, Mathers, CD, Ezzati, M, et al. Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: Systematic analysis of population health data. Lancet. 2006;367:1747–1757.
16. Meyer, BC, Raman, R, Hemmen, T, et al. Efficacy of site-independent telemedicine in the STRokE DOC trial: A randomised, blinded, prospective study [see comment]. Lancet Neurol. 2008;7:787–795.
17. Rymer, MM, Thurtchley, D, Summers, D. Expanded modes of tissue plasminogen activator delivery in a comprehensive stroke center increases regional acute stroke interventions. Stroke. 2003;34:e58–e60.
18. Sandercock, P, Berge, E, Dennis, M, et al. Cost-effectiveness of thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke assessed by a model based on UK NHS costs. Stroke. 2004;35:1490–1497.
19. Schwamm, LH, Holloway, RG, Amarenco, P, et al. A review of the evidence for the use of telemedicine within stroke systems of care. A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2009;40:2616–2634.
20. Schwamm, LH, Rosenthal, ES, Hirshberg, A, et al. Virtual TeleStroke support for the emergency department evaluation of acute stroke. Acad Emerg Med. 2004;11:1193–1197.
21. Standing Committee of European Doctors (CPME). CPME guidelines for telemedicine. Brussels, Belgium: CPME; 2002.
22. Vaishnav, AG, Pettigrew, LC, Ryan, S, et al. Telephonic guidance of systemic thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke: Safety outcome in rural hospitals. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2008;110:451–454.
23. Waite, K, Silver, F, Jaigobin, C, et al. Telestroke: A multi-site, emergency-based telemedicine service in Ontario. J Telemed Telecare. 2006;12:141–145.
24. Wang, DZ, Rose, JA, Honings, DS, et al. Treating acute stroke patients with intravenous tPA. The OSF stroke network experience. Stroke. 2000;31:77–81.
25. Wang, S, Gross, H, Lee, SB, et al. Remote evaluation of acute ischemic stroke in rural community hospitals in Georgia. Stroke. 2004;35:1763–1768.
26. Wardlaw, JM, Zoppo, G, Yamaguchi, T, Berge, E. Thrombolysis for acute ischaemic stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (Online). 2003;3:CD000213.
27. Wiborg, A, Widder, B; Telemedicine in Stroke in Swabia Project. Teleneurology to improve stroke care in rural areas: The Telemedicine in Stroke in Swabia (TESS) Project [see comment]. Stroke. 2003;34:2951–2956.
28. Wong, HT, Poon, WS, Jacobs, P, et al. The comparative impact of video consultation on emergency neurosurgical referrals. Neurosurgery. 2006;59:607–613; discussion 613.