1. Allum, WH, Griffin, SM, Watson, A, Colin-Jones, D. Guidelines for the management of oesophageal and gastric cancer. Gut. 2002;50 (Suppl 5):1–23.
2. Chen, J, Xu, R, Hunt, GC, Krinsky, ML, Savides, TJ. Influence of the number of malignant regional lymph nodes detected by endoscopic ultrasonography on survival stratification in esophageal adenocarcinoma. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;4:573–579.
3. Chong, AK, Caddy, GR, Desmond, PV, Chen, RY. Prospective study of the clinical impact of EUS. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;62:399–405.
4. Davies, AR, Deans, DA, Penman, I, et al. The multidisciplinary team meeting improves staging accuracy and treatment selection for gastro-esophageal cancer. Dis Esophagus. 2006;19:496–503.
5. Eloubeidi, MA, Wallace, MB, Hoffman, BJ, et al. Predictors of survival for esophageal cancer patients with and without celiac axis lymphadenopathy: Impact of staging endosonography. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;72:212–219.
6. Fryback, DG, Thornbury, JR. The efficacy of diagnostic imaging. Med Decis Making. 1991;11:88–94.
7. Guyatt, GH, Tugwell, PX, Feeny, DH, Drummond, MF, Haynes, RB. The role of before-after studies of therapeutic impact in the evaluation of diagnostic technologies. J Chronic Dis. 1986;39:295–304.
8. Harewood, GC, Kumar, KS. Assessment of clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasound on esophageal cancer. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;19:433–439.
9. Harris, KM, Kelly, S, Berry, E, J et al. Systematic review of endoscopic ultrasound in gastro-oesophageal cancer. Health Technol Assess. 1998;2:i–134.
10. Jafri, IH, Saltzman, JR, Colby, JM, Krims, PE. Evaluation of the clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasonography in gastrointestinal disease. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996;44:367–370.
11. Kelly, S, Harris, KM, Berry, E, et al. A systematic review of the staging performance of endoscopic ultrasound in gastro-oesophageal carcinoma. Gut. 2001;49:534–539.
12. Lightdale, CJ, Kulkarni, KG. Role of endoscopic ultrasonography in the staging and follow-up of esophageal cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:4483–4489.
13. Lord, SJ, Irwig, L, Simes, RJ. When is measuring sensitivity and specificity sufficient to evaluate a diagnostic test and when do we need randomized trials. Ann Intern Med. 2006;144:850–855.
14. Mariette, C, Balon, JM, Maunoury, V, et al. . Value of endoscopic ultrasonography as a predictor of long-term survival in oesophageal carcinoma. Br J Surg. 2003;90:1367–1372.
15. Marsman, WA, van Wissen, M, Bergman, JJ, et al. Outcome of patients with esophageal carcinoma and suspicious celiac lymph nodes as determined by endoscopic ultrasonography. Endoscopy. 2004;36:961–965.
16. MSAC. Endoscopic ultrasound. Canberra: Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC), Commonwealth of Australia; 2007. In press.
17. NHS. Cancer of the oesophagus or gastricus: New assessment of the technology of endosonography (COGNATE). NHS Health Technology Assessment Programme 2006. Available at: http://www.hta.ac.uk/project.asp?PjtId=1368. Accessed August 14, 2006.
18. NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Undertaking systematic reviews of research on effectiveness. In: Khan, KS, Riet, G, Glanville, J, Sowden, AJ, Kleijnen, J, eds. CRD report 4 (2nd ed). 2001. University of York, UK: York Publishing Services Ltd; 2001.
19. Nickl, NJ, Bhutani, MS, Catalano, M, et al. . Clinical implications of endoscopic ultrasound: The American Endosonography Club Study. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996;44:371–377.
20. Parmar, KS, Zwischenberger, JB, Reeves, AL, Waxman, I. Clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of celiac axis lymph nodes (M1a disease) in esophageal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002;73:916–920.
21. Pech, O, May, A, Gunter, E, Gossner, L, Ell, C. The impact of endoscopic ultrasound and computed tomography on the TNM staging of early cancer in Barrett's esophagus. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:2223–2229.
22. Preston SR, Clark GW, Martin IG, Ling HM, Harris KM. Effect of endoscopic ultrasonography on the management of 100 consecutive patients with oesophageal and junctional carcinoma. Br J Surg. 2003;90:1220–1224.
23. Shah JN, Ahmad NA, Beilstein MC, Ginsberg GG, Kochman ML. Clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasonography on the management of malignancies. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;2:1069–1073.
24. van Westreenen, HL, Heeren, PA, van Dullemen, HM, et al. . Positron emission tomography with F-18-fluorodeoxyglucose in a combined staging strategy of esophageal cancer prevents unnecessary surgical explorations. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9:54–61.
25. Vazquez-Sequeiros, E, Wiersema, MJ, Clain, JE, et al. . Impact of lymph node staging on therapy of esophageal carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2003;125:1626–1635.