1. Adelson, P, Lim, K, Churches, T, Nguyen, R. Surgical treatment of breast cancer in New South Wales 1991, 1992. Aust N Z J Surg. 1997;67:9–14.
2. Anderson, JG, Jay, SJ. The diffusion of medical technology: Social network analysis and policy research. Sociol Q. 1985;26:49–64.
3. Ankem, K. Influence of information sources on the adoption of uterine fibroid embolization by interventional radiologists. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003;91:450–459.
4. Association of Breast Surgery at BASO; Association of Breast Surgery at BAPRAS; Training Interface Group in Breast Surgery, Oncoplastic breast surgery – a guide to good practice. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2007;33 (Suppl 1):S1–S23.
5. Association of Breast Surgery at BASO. Surgical guidelines for the management of breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009;35 (Suppl 1):1–22.
6. Becker, MH. Factors affecting diffusion of innovations among health professionals. Am J Public Health. 1970;60:294–304.
7. Breast Cancer Clinical Outcome Measures (BCCOM) Project. Analysis of the management of symptomatic breast cancers diagnosed in 2004. Birmingham: West Midlands Cancer Intelligence Unit/Breakthrough Breast Cancer; 2007.
8. Charlson, ME, Pompei, P, Ales, KL, MacKenzie, CR. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: Development and validation. J Chronic Dis. 1987;40:373–383.
9. Collins, ED, Kerrigan, CL, Anglade, P. Surgical treatment of early breast cancer: What would surgeons choose for themselves? Eff Clin Pract. 1999;2:149–151.
10. Cutuli, B, Lemanski, C, Fourquet, A, et al. Breast-conserving surgery with or without radiotherapy vs mastectomy for ductal carcinoma in situ: French survey experience. Br J Cancer. 2009;100:1048–1054.
11. Denham, C, White, I. Differences in urban and rural Britain. Popul Trends. 1998;91:23–34.
12. Dixon, JM, Mak, C. Predictors of mastectomy in a certified breast center – The surgeon is an independent risk factor. Breast J. 2008;14:321–323.
13. Fedeli, U, Alba, N, Schievano, E, et al. Diffusion of good practices of care and decline of the association with case volume: The example of breast conserving surgery. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:167.
14. Gabbay, J, le May, A. Evidence based guidelines or collectively constructed “mindlines?” Ethnographic study of knowledge management in primary care. BMJ. 2004;329:1013.
15. Greer, AL. The state of the art versus the state of the science: The diffusion of new medical technologies into practice. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 1988;4:5–26.
16. Haddock, CC, Begun, JW. The diffusion of two diagnostic technologies among hospitals in New York State. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 1988;4:593–600.
17. Hall, SE, Holman, CD, Hendrie, DV, Spilsbury, K. Unequal access to breast-conserving surgery in Western Australia 1982–2000. ANZ J Surg. 2004;74:413–419.
18. Hiotis, K, Ye, W, Sposro, R, Skinner, KA. Predictors of breast conservation therapy: Size is not all that matters. Cancer. 2005;103:892–899.
19. Jerome-D'Emilia, B, Begun, JW. Diffusion of breast conserving surgery in medical communities. Soc Sci Med. 2005;60:143–151.
20. Johantgen, ME, Coffey, RM, Harris, DR, Levy, H, Clinton, JJ. Treating early-stage breast cancer: Hospital characteristics associated with breast-conserving surgery. Am J Public Health. 1995;85:1432–1434.
21. Kimmick, GG, Camacho, F, Balkrishnan, R, Anderson, R. Patterns of care among breast cancer patients with financial need: Information from a Medicaid-claims and tumor registry linked database. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23 (Suppl):6037.
22. Kirby, RM, Basit, A, Manimaran, N. Patient choice significantly affects mastectomy rates in the treatment of breast cancer. Int Semin Surg Oncol. 2008;5:20.
23. Lacey, T. NICE implementation uptake report: Pimecrolimus and tacrolimus for atopic eczema. London: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence; 2007.
24. Laliberte, L, Fennell, ML, Papandonatos, G. The relationship of membership in research networks to compliance with treatment guidelines for early-stage breast cancer. Med Care. 2005;43:471–479.
25. Lazovich, D, Solomon, CC, Thomas, DB, Moe, RE, White, E. Breast conservation therapy in the United States following the 1990 National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference on the treatment of patients with early stage invasive breast carcinoma. Cancer. 1999;86:628–637.
26. Mandelblatt, JS, Berg, CD, Meropol, NJ, et al. Measuring and predicting surgeons’ practice styles for breast cancer treatment in older women. Med Care. 2001;39:228–242.
27. McGettigan, P, Golden, J, Fryer, J, Chan, R, Feely, J. Prescribers prefer people: The sources of information used by doctors for prescribing suggest that the medium is more important than the message. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2001;51:184–189.
28. National Institute for Clinical Excellence. Improving outcomes in breast cancer: Manual update. London: National Institute for Clinical Excellence; 2002.
29. National Mastectomy and Breast Reconstruction Audit Team. A national audit of provision and outcomes of mastectomy and breast reconstruction surgery for women in England and Wales: First annual report. Leeds: The NHS Information Centre for health and social care; 2008.
30. National Radiotherapy Advisory Group. Radiotherapy: Developing a world class service for England. London: Department of Health; 2007.
31. Nuttall, M, Van Der Meulen, J, Emberton, M. Charlson scores based on ICD-10 administrative data were valid in assessing comorbidity in patients undergoing urological cancer surgery. J Clin Epidemiol. 2006;59:265–273.
32. Riley, BL, Taylor, SM, Elliott, SJ. Determinants of implementing heart health: Promotion activities in Ontario public health units: A social ecological perspective. Health Educ Res. 2001;16:425–441.
33. Riskin, DJ, Longaker, MT, Gertner, M, Krummel, TM. Innovation in Surgery; a historical perspective. Ann Surg. 2006;244:686–693.
34. Rentzhog, L. SBU's Ambassador Program in Northern Sweden. In Jonsson, E, ed. Effective dissemination of findings from research – a compilation of essays. Alberta: Institute of Health Economics; 2008:55–67.
35. Sheldon, TA, Cullum, N, Dawson, D, et al. What's the evidence that NICE guidance has been implemented? Results from a national evaluation using time series analysis, audit of patient notes and interviews. BMJ. 2004;329:999–1007.
36. Strang, D, Tuma, NB. Spatial and temporal heterogeneity in diffusion. Am J Sociol. 1993;99:614–639.
37. Temple, WJ, Russell, ML, Parsons, LL, et al. Conservation surgery for breast cancer as the preferred choice: A prospective analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:3367–3373.
39. The NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care, Hospital Episode Statistics. [accessed 2009]. HES data is copyright © 2009, Re-used with the permission. All rights reserved.
40. Velikova, G, Booth, L, Johnston, C, et al. Breast cancer outcomes in South Asian population of West Yorkshire. Br J Cancer. 2004;90:1926–1932.
41. Zorzi, M, Puliti, D, Vettorazzi, M, et al. Mastectomy rates are decreasing in the era of service screening: A population-based study in Italy (1997–2001). Br J Cancer. 2006;95:1265–1268.