2. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Practice Bulletin. Number 16. Surgical alternatives to hysterectomy in the management of leiomyomas. Washington, DC: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2000.
3. Arleo, EK, Khilnani, NM, Ng, A, Min, RJ. Features influencing patient selection for fibroid treatment with magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2007;18:681–685.
4. Beinfeld, MT, Bosch, JL, Gazelle, GS. Hospital costs of uterine artery embolization and hysterectomy for uterine fibroid tumors. Acad Radiol. 2002;9:1300–1304.
5. Beinfeld, MT, Bosch, JL, Isaacson, KB, Gazelle, GS. Cost-effectiveness of uterine artery embolization and hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. Radiology. 2004;230:207–213.
7. Brahma, PK, Martel, KM, Christman, GM. Future directions in myoma research. Obstet Gynecol Clin. 2006;33:199–244.
8. Carls, GS, Lee, DW, Ozminkowski, RJ, et al. What are the total costs of surgical treatment for uterine fibroids? J Womens Health. 2008;17:1119–1132.
9. Cura, M, Cura, A, Bugnone, A. Role of magnetic resonance imaging in patient selection for uterine artery embolization. Acta Radiol. 2006;47:1105–1114.
10. Dembek, CJ, Pelletier, EM, Isaacson, KB, Spies, JB. Payer costs in patients undergoing uterine artery embolization, hysterectomy, or myomectomy for treatment of uterine fibroids. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2007;18:1207–1213.
11. Dicker, RC, Greenspan, JR, Strauss, LT, et al. Complications of abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy among women of reproductive age in the United States: The collaborative review of sterilization. Am J Obstret Gynecol. 1982;144:841–848.
12. Drug Topics Redbook 2006. Montvale NJ: Thompson PDR; 2006.
13. Ecker, JL, Foster, JT, Friedman, AJ. Abdominal hysterectomy or abdominal myomectomy for symptomatic leiomyoma: A comparison of preoperative demography and postoperative morbidity. J Gynecol Surg. 1995;11:11–18.
14. Fennessy, FM, Tempany, CM, McDannold, NJ, et al. Uterine leiomyomas: MR imaging-guided focused ultrasound surgery-Results of different treatment protocols. Radiology. 2007;243:885–893.
15. Flynn, M, Jamison, M, Datta, S, Myers, E. Health care resource use for uterine fibroid tumors in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006;195:955–964.
16. Gavrilova-Jordan, LP, Rose, CH, Traynor, KD, et al. Successful term pregnancy following MR-guided focused ultrasound treatment of uterine leiomyoma. J Perinatol. 2007;27:59–61.
17. Gold, MR, Siegel, JE, Russell, LB, Weinstein, MC, eds. Cost-effectiveness in health and medicine. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, Inc; 1996.
18. Goldberg, J, Bussard, A, McNeil, J, Diamond, J. Cost and reimbursement for three fibroid treatments: Abdominal hysterectomy, abdominal myomectomy, and uterine fibroid embolization. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2007;30:54–58.
19. Gupta, J, Sinha, A, Lumsden, M, Hickey, M. Uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;1:CD005073.
20. Hartmann, KE, Birnbaum, H, Ben-Hamadi, R, et al. Annual costs associated with diagnosis of uterine leiomyomata. Obstet Gynecol. 2006;108:930–937.
21. Hesley, GK, Felmlee, JP, Gebhart, JB, et al. Noninvasive treatment of uterine fibroids: Early Mayo experience with magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound. Mayo Clin Proc 2006;81:936–942.
23. Iverson, RE Jr, Chelmow, D, Strohbehn, K, et al. Relative morbidity of abdominal hysterectomy and myomectomy for management of uterine leiomyomas. Obstet Gynecol. 1996;88:415–419.
24. Mauskopf, J, Flynn, M, Thieda, P, et al. The economic impact of uterine fibroids in the United States: A summary of published estimates. J Womens Health. 2005;14:692–703.
25. Morita, Y, Ito, N, Ohashi, H. Pregnancy following MR-guided focused ultrasound surgery for a uterine fibroid. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007;99:56–57.
26. Oderda, G, Asche, C, Jones, KP, et al. Characterization of therapy and costs for patients with uterine fibroids in Utah Medicaid. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2007;276:211–218.
27. Pelage, JP, Le Dref, O, Soyer, P, et al. Fibroid-related menorrhagia: Treatment with superselective embolization of the uterine arteries and midterm follow-up. Radiology. 2000;215:428–431.
28. Rannestad, T. Hysterectomy: Effects on quality of life and psychological aspects. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;19:419–430.
29. Reed, SD, Newton, KM, Thompson, LB, et al. The incidence of repeat uterine surgery following myomectomy. J Womens Health. 2006;15:1046–1052.
30. Smart, OC, Hindley, JT, Regan, L, Gedroyc, W. Gonadotrophin-releasing hormone and magnetic-resonance-guided ultrasound surgery for uterine leiomyomata. Obstet Gynecol. 2006;108:49–54.
31. Smith, SJ. Uterine fibroid embolization. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61:3601–3607.
32. Spies, JB, Ascher, SA, Roth, AR, et al. Uterine artery embolization for leiomyomata. Obstet Gynecol. 2001;98:29–34.
33. Spies, JB, Bruno, J, Czeyda-Pommersheim, F, et al. Long-term outcome of uterine artery embolization of leiomyomata. Obstet Gynecol. 2005;106:933–939.
34. Spies, JB, Cooper, JM, Worthington-Kirsch, R, et al. Outcome of uterine embolization and hysterectomy for leiomyomas: Results of a multicenter study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;191:22–31.
35. Stewart, EA, Gostout, B, Rabinovici, J, et al. Sustained relief of leiomyoma symptoms by using focused ultrasound surgery. Obstet Gynecol. 2007;110:279–287.
36. Stewart, EA, Rabinovici, J, Tempany, CM, et al. Clinical outcomes of focused ultrasound surgery for the treatment of uterine fibroids. Fertil Steril. 2006;85:22–29.
37. Subramanian, S, Clark, MA, Isaacson, K. Outcome and resource use associated with myomectomy. Obstet Gynecol. 2001;98:583–587.
38. Sullivan, PW, Lawrence, WF, Ghushchyan, V. Preference-based EQ-5D index scores for chronic conditions in the United States. Med Decis Making. 2006;26:410–420.
41. Volkers, NA, Hehenkamp, WJK, Birnie, E, et al. Uterine artery embolization versus hysterectomy in the treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids: 2 years' outcome from the randomized EMMY trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;196:519e1–519e11.
42. Walker, CL, Stewart, EA. Uterine fibroids: The elephant in the room. Science 2005;308:1589–1592.
43. Zowall, H, Carins, JA, Brewer, C, et al. Cost-effectiveness of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery for the treatment of uterine fibroids. BJOG. 2008;115:653–662.