1. Anderson, KM, Odell, PM, Wilson, PW, Kannel, WB. Cardiovascular disease risk profiles. Am Heart J. 1990;121 (pt 2):293–298.
2. Ayas, NT, FitzGerald, JM, Fleetham, JA, et al. Cost-effectiveness of continuous positive airway pressure therapy for moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:977–984.
3. Barbe, F, Sunyer, J, de la Pena, A, et al. Effect of continuous positive airway pressure on the risk of road accidents in sleep apnea patients. Respiration. 2007;74:44–49.
4. Bravo Vergel, Y, Palmer, S, Asseburg, C, et al. Is primary angioplasty cost-effective in the UK? Results of a comprehensive decision analysis. Heart. 2007;93:1238–1243.
5. Brazier, J, Roberts, J, Deverill, M. The estimation of a preference-based measure of health from the SF-36. J Health Econ. 2002;21:271–292.
6. Brazier, J, Usherwood, T, Harper, R, Thomas, K. Deriving a preference-based single index from the UK SF-36 Health Survey. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998;51:1115–1128.
7. Briggs, A, Claxton, K, Sculpher, M. Decision modelling for health economic evaluation. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2006.
8. Briggs, A, Mihaylova, B, Sculpher, M, et al. The cost-effectiveness of perindopril in reducing cardiovascular events in patients with stable coronary artery disease using data from the EUROPA study. Heart. 2007;93:1081–1086.
9. Chakravorty, I, Cayton, RM, Szczepura, A. Health utilities in evaluating intervention in the sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome. Eur Respir J. 2002;20:1233–1238.
10. Chiang, CL. Introduction to stochastic processes in biostatistics. New York: John Wiley; 1968.
11. Chilcott, J, Clayton, E, Chada, N, et al. Nasal continuous positive airways pressure in the management of sleep apnoea. Leicester: Trent Institute for Health Services Research; 2000.
12. Currie, C, McEwan, P, Peters, J, Patel, TC, Dixon, S. The routine collation of health outcomes data from hospital treated subjects in the Health Outcomes Data Repository (HODaR): Descriptive analysis from the first 20,000 subjects. Value Health. 2005;8:581–590.
14. Dolan, P, Gudex, C, Kind, P, Williams, A. The time trade-off method: Results from a general population study. Health Econ. 1996;5:141–154.
15. Dennis, MS, Burn, JP, Sandercock, PA, et al. Long-term survival after first-ever stroke: The Oxfordshire Community Stroke. Stroke. 1993;24:796–800.
18. Drummond, M, Sculpher, M, Torrance, G, O'Brien, BJ, Stoddart, GL. Methods for the economic evaluation of health care programmes. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2005.
19. Edwards, MJ, Brickley, MR, Goodey, RD, Shepherd, JP. The cost, effectiveness and cost effectiveness of removal and retention of asymptomatic, disease free third molars. Br Dent J. 1999;187:380–384.
20. Fenwick, E, Claxton, K, Sculpher, M. Representing uncertainty: The role of cost-effectiveness acceptability curves. Health Econ. 2001;10:779–789.
21. Jenkinson, C, Davies, RJ, Mullins, R, Stradling, JR. Long-term benefits in self-reported health status of nasal continuous positive airway pressure therapy for obstructive sleep apnoea. QJM. 2001;94:95–99.
22. Jenkinson, C, Stradling, J, Petersen, S. Comparison of three measures of quality of life outcome in the evaluation of continuous positive airways pressure therapy for sleep apnoea. J Sleep Res. 1997;6:199–204.
23. Jones, L, Griffin, S, Palmer, S, et al. Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of clopidogrel and modified-release dipyridamole in the secondary prevention of occlusive vascular events: A systematic review and economic evaluation The cost-effectiveness of perindopril in reducing cardiovascular events in patients with stable coronary artery disease using data from the EUROPA study. Health Technol Assess. 2004;8:1–210.
24. Mar, J, Rueda, JR, Duran-Cantolla, J, et al. The cost-effectiveness of nCPAP treatment in patients with moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnoea. Eur Respir J. 2003;21:515–522.
25. McArdle, N, Devereux, G, Engleman, HM, Haidarnejad, H. Patterns of continuous positive airways pressure (CPAP) use at the Scottish National Sleep Centre. Thorax. 1997;52 (Suppl 6):S34.
26. Mc Daid, C, Griffin, S, Weatherly, H, et al. Continuous positive airway pressure for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea syndrome: A systematic review and economic analysis. Health Technol Assess. In press.
27. Moyer, CA, Sonnad, SS, Garetz, SL, Helman, JI, Chervin, RD. Quality of life in obstructive sleep apnea: A systematic review of the literature. Sleep Med. 2001;2:477–491.
28. , NICE. Continuous positive airway pressure for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome. Quick Reference Guide. Technology appraisal guidance; no. 139. London: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence; 2008.
29. , NICE. Guide to the methods of technology appraisal. Report No.: NO515. London: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence; 2004.
30. Pepperell, JC, Ramdassingh-Dow, S, Crosthwaite, N, et al. Ambulatory blood pressure after therapeutic and subtherapeutic nasal continuous positive airway pressure for obstructive sleep apnoea: A randomised parallel trial. Lancet. 2002;359:204–210.
31. Resmed. Cost-effectiveness and cost-utility of using continuous positive airways pressure in the treatment of severe obstructive sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome in the UK. Resmed submission for CPAP technology appraisal. Abingdon: ResMed (UK); 2007.
32. Rosengren, A, Wilhelmsen, L, Hagman, M, Wedel, H. Natural history of myocardial infarction and angina pectoris in a general population sample of middle-aged men: A 16-year follow-up of the Primary Prevention Study, Göteborg, Sweden. J Intern Med. 1998;244:495–505.
33. Sassani, A, Findley, LJ, Kryger, M, et al. Reducing motor-vehicle collisions, costs, and fatalities by treating obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep. 2004;27:453–458.
34. Smith, I, Lasserson, TJ, Wright, J. Drug therapy for obstructive sleep apnoea in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;19:CD003002.
35. Sullivan, PW, Ghushchyan, V. Preference-based EQ-5D index scores for chronic conditions in the United States. Med Decis Making. 2006;26:410–420.
36. Sundaram, S, Bridgman, SA, Lim, J, Lasserson, TJ. Surgery for obstructive sleep apnoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005;19:CD001004.
37. Tousignant, P, Cosio, MG, Levy, RD, Groome, PA. Quality adjusted life years added by treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep. 1994;17:52–60.
38. West, SD, Nicoll, DJ, Wallace, TM, Matthews, DR, Stradling, JR. The effect of CPAP on insulin resistance and HbA1c in men with obstructive sleep apnoea and type 2 diabetes [unpublished observation]. 2007.
39. van Hout, BA, Al, MJ, Gordon, GS, et al. Cost, effects and cost-effectiveness-ratios alongside a clinical trial. Health Econ. 1994;3:309–319.