1. Smith, PW, Bennett, G, Bradley, S, et al. SHEA/APIC guideline: infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility, July 2008. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:785–814.
2. Cheng, VC, Tai, JW, Wong, ZS, et al. Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the long term care facilities in Hong Kong. BMC Infect Dis 2013;13:205.
3. Stine, OC, Burrowes, S, David, S, Johnson, JK, Roghmann, MC. Transmission clusters of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in long-term care facilities based on whole-genome sequencing. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:685–691.
4. Hocine, MN, Temime, L. Impact of hand hygiene on the infectious risk in nursing home residents: a systematic review. Am J Infect Control 2015;43:e47–e52.
5. Schweon, SJ, Edmonds, SL, Kirk, J, Rowland, DY, Acosta, C. Effectiveness of a comprehensive hand hygiene program for reduction of infection rates in a long-term care facility. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:39–44.
6. Ho, ML, Seto, WH, Wong, LC, Wong, TY. Effectiveness of multifaceted hand hygiene interventions in long-term care facilities in Hong Kong: a cluster-randomized controlled trial. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:761–767.
7. Cheng, VC, Chen, JH, Ng, WC, et al. Emergence of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in nursing homes with high background rates of MRSA colonization. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:983–986.
8. Chan, TC, Luk, JK, Chu, LW, Chan, FH. Low education level of nursing home staff in Chinese nursing homes. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2013;14:849–850.
9. Cheng, VC, Tai, JW, Li, WS, et al. Implementation of directly observed patient hand hygiene for hospitalized patients by hand hygiene ambassadors in Hong Kong. Am J Infect Control 2016;44:621–624.
10. Cheng, VC, Tai, JW, Chau, PH, et al. Successful control of emerging vancomycin-resistant enterococci by territory-wide implementation of directly observed hand hygiene in patients in Hong Kong. Am J Infect Control 2016;44:1168–1171.
11. Cheng, VC, Chen, JH, Poon, RW, et al. Control of hospital endemicity of multiple-drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ST457 with directly observed hand hygiene. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2015;34:713–718.
12. Patel, PK, Mantey, J, Mody, L. Patient hand colonization with MDROs is associated with environmental contamination in post-acute care. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2017;38:1110–1113.
13. Hardy, KJ, Oppenheim, BA, Gossain, S, Gao, F, Hawkey, PM. A study of the relationship between environmental contamination with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and patients’ acquisition of MRSA. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006;27:127–132.
14. Drees, M, Snydman, DR, Schmid, CH, et al. Prior environmental contamination increases the risk of acquisition of vancomycin-resistant enterococci. Clin Infect Dis 2008;46:678–685.
15. Cheng, VCC, Wong, SC, Chen, JHK, et al. Control of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in Hong Kong: role of environmental surveillance in communal areas after a hospital outbreak. Am J Infect Control 2018;46:60–66.
16. Cheng, VC, Li, IW, Wu, AK, et al. Effect of antibiotics on the bacterial load of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonisation in anterior nares. J Hosp Infect 2008;70:27–34.
17. Cheng, VCC, Chen, JHK, Wong, SCY, et al. Hospital outbreak of pulmonary and cutaneous zygomycosis due to contaminated linen items from substandard laundry. Clin Infect Dis 2016;62:714–721.
18. Cheng, VCC, Wong, SC, Wong, IWY, et al. The challenge of patient empowerment in hand hygiene promotion in health care facilities in Hong Kong. Am J Infect Control 2017;45:562–565.
19. Cheng, VC, Chan, JF, Lau, EH, et al. Studying the transmission dynamics of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Hong Kong using spa typing. J Hosp Infect 2011;79:206–210.
20. Cheng, VC, Chen, JH, So, SY, et al. A novel risk factor associated with colonization by carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae: use of proton pump inhibitors in addition to antimicrobial treatment. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:1418–1425.
21. Aschbacher, R, Pagani, E, Confalonieri, M, et al. Review on colonization of residents and staff in Italian long-term care facilities by multidrug-resistant bacteria compared with other European countries. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2016;5:33.
22. Cassone, M, Mody, L. Colonization with multi-drug resistant organisms in nursing homes: scope, importance, and management. Curr Geriatr Rep 2015;4:87–95.
23. Murphy, CR, Eells, SJ, Quan, V, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus burden in nursing homes associated with environmental contamination of common areas. J Am Geriatr Soc 2012;60:1012–1018.
24. Kahvecioglu, D, Ramiah, K, McMaughan, D, et al. Multidrug-resistant organism infections in US nursing homes: a national study of prevalence, onset, and transmission across care settings, October 1, 2010–December 31, 2011. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35(Suppl 3):S48–S55.
25. Rollnik, JD, Bertram, M, Bucka, C, et al. Outcome of neurological early rehabilitation patients carrying multi-drug resistant bacteria: results from a German multi-center study. BMC Neurol 2017;17:53.
26. Cheng, VC, Tai, JW, Chen, JH, et al. Proactive infection control measures to prevent nosocomial transmission of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in Hong Kong. J Formos Med Assoc 2014;113:734–741.
27. Cheng, VC, Chan, JF, Wong, SC, et al. Proactive infection control measures to prevent nosocomial transmission of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae in a non-endemic area. Chin Med J (Engl) 2013;126:4504–4509.
28. Cheng, VC, Tai, JW, Wong, LM, et al. Effect of proactive infection control measures on benchmarked rate of hospital outbreaks: an analysis of public hospitals in Hong Kong over 5 years. Am J Infect Control 2015;43:965–970.
29. Cheng, VC, Wong, SC, Ho, PL, Yuen, KY. Strategic measures for the control of surging antimicrobial resistance in Hong Kong and mainland of China. Emerg Microbe Infect 2015;4:e8.
30. Adams, CE, Smith, J, Watson, V, Robertson, C, Dancer, SJ. Examining the association between surface bioburden and frequently touched sites in intensive care. J Hosp Infect 2017;95:76–80.
31. Kampf, G, Kramer, A. Epidemiologic background of hand hygiene and evaluation of the most important agents for scrubs and rubs. Clin Microbiol Rev 2004;17:863–893.
32. Kramer, A, Schwebke, I, Kampf, G. How long do nosocomial pathogens persist on inanimate surfaces? A systematic review. BMC Infect Dis 2006;6:130.