1. Lessa, FC, Mu, Y, Bamberg, WM, et al. Burden of Clostridium difficile infection in the United States. N Engl J Med Feb 26 2015;372:825–834.
2. Polage, CR, Gyorke, CE, Kennedy, MA, et al. Overdiagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection in the molecular test era. JAMA Intern Med Nov 2015;175:1792–1801.
3. Furuya-Kanamori, L, Clements, AC, Foster, NF, et al. Asymptomatic Clostridium difficile colonization in two Australian tertiary hospitals, 2012–2014: prospective, repeated cross-sectional study. Clin Microbiol Infect 2017;23:48 e41–e48.
4. Burnham, CA, Carroll, KC. Diagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection: an ongoing conundrum for clinicians and for clinical laboratories. Clin Microbiol Rev 2013;26:604–630.
5. Cohen, SH, Gerding, DN, Johnson, S, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010;31:431–455.
6. Surawicz, CM, Brandt, LJ, Binion, DG, et al. Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of Clostridium difficile infections. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108:478–498; quiz 499.
7. Sittig, DF, Singh, H. Electronic health records and national patient-safety goals. N Engl J Med 2012;367:1854–1860.
8. Isaac, S, Scher, JU, Djukovic, A, et al. Short- and long-term effects of oral vancomycin on the human intestinal microbiota. J Antimicrob Chemother 2017;72:128–136.
9. Vrieze, A, Out, C, Fuentes, S, et al. Impact of oral vancomycin on gut microbiota, bile acid metabolism, and insulin sensitivity. J Hepatol Apr 2014;60:824–831.
10. Al-Nassir, WN, Sethi, AK, Li, Y, Pultz, MJ, Riggs, MM, Donskey, CJ. Both oral metronidazole and oral vancomycin promote persistent overgrowth of vancomycin-resistant enterococci during treatment of Clostridium difficile–associated disease. Antimicrob Agents Chemother Jul 2008;52:2403–2406.