1. Kanamori, H, Weber, DJ, Rutala, WA. Healthcare outbreaks associated with a water reservoir and infection prevention strategies. Clin Infect Dis 2016;62:1423–1435.
2. Kizny Gordon, AE, Mathers, AJ, Cheong, EYL, et al. The hospital water environment as a reservoir for carbapenem-resistant organisms causing hospital-acquired infections-a systematic review of the literature. Clin Infect Dis 2017 May 15;64:1435–1444.
3. Decker, BK, Palmore, TN. Hospital water and opportunities for infection prevention. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2014;16:432.
4. Hota, S, Hirji, Z, Stockton, K, Lemieux, C, Dedier, H, Wolfaardt, G, Gardam, MA. Outbreak of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization and infection secondary to imperfect intensive care unit room design. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30:25–33.
5. Kotay, S, Chai, W, Guilford, W, Barry, K, Mathers, AJ. Spread from the sink to the patient: in situ study using green fluorescent protein (GFP) expressing-Escherichia coli to model bacterial dispersion from hand washing sink trap reservoirs. Appl Environ Microbiol 2017;83(8):pii:e03327–16.
6. Gbaguidi-Haore, H, Varin, A, Cholley, P, Thouverez, M, Hocquet, D, Bertrand, X. A bundle of measures to control an outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa associated with P-trap contamination. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018;39:164–169.
7. Mathers, AJ, Vegesana, K, German Mesner, I, et al. Intensive care unit wastewater interventions to prevent transmission of multi-species Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase (KPC)–producing organisms. Clin Infect Dis 2018. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciy052.
8. Hopman, J, Tostmann, A, Wertheim, H, et al. Reduced rate of intensive care unit acquired gram-negative bacilli after removal of sinks and introduction of 'water-free' patient care. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2017;6:59.
9. Wolf, I, Bergervoet, PW, Sebens, FW, van den Oever, HL, Savelkoul, PH, van der Zwet, WC. The sink as a correctable source of extended-spectrum β-lactamase contamination for patients in the intensive care unit. J Hosp Infect 2014;87:126–130.
10. Deasy, EC, Moloney, EM, Boyle, MA, et al. Minimizing microbial contamination risk simultaneously from multiple hospital washbasins by automated cleaning and disinfection of U-bends with electrochemically activated solutions. J Hosp Infect 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.jhin.2018.01.012