1. Montoya, A, Mody, L. Common infections in nursing homes: a review of current issues and challenges. Aging Health 2011;7:889–899.
2. Strausbaugh, LJ, Joseph, CL. The burden of infection in long-term care. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000;21:674–679.
3. Cassone, M, Mody, L. Colonization with multi-drug resistant organisms in nursing homes: scope, importance, and management. Curr Geriatr Rep 2015;4:87–95.
4. Dantes, R, Mu, Y, Belflower, R, et al. National burden of invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections, United States, 2011. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:1970–1978.
5. Herzig, CTA, Dick, AW, Sorbero, M, et al. Infection trends in US nursing homes, 2006–2013. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2017;18:635.e9–635.e20.
6. Evans, ME, Kralovic, SM, Simbartl, LA, et al. Nationwide reduction of health care-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in Veterans Affairs long-term care facilities. Am J Infect Control 2014;42:60–62.
7. Stone, ND, Lewis, DR, Johnson, TM 2nd, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) nasal carriage in residents of Veterans Affairs long-term care facilities: role of antimicrobial exposure and MRSA acquisition. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:551–557.
8. Siegel, JD, Rhinehart, E, Jackson, M, Chiarello, L, Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Management of multidrug-resistant organisms in healthcare settings. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(10 Suppl 2):S165–S193.
9. Morgan, DJ, Diekema, DJ, Sepkowitz, K, Perencevich, EN. Adverse outcomes associated with contact precautions: a review of the literature. Am J Infect Control 2009;37:85–93.
10. Morgan, DJ, Wenzel, RP, Bearman, G. Contact precautions for endemic MRSA and VRE: time to retire legal mandates. JAMA 2017;318:329–330.
11. Furuno, JP, Krein, S, Lansing, B, Mody, L. Health care worker opinions on use of isolation precautions in long-term care facilities. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:263–266.
12. Cohen, CC, Dick, A, Stone, PW. Isolation precautions use for multidrug-resistant organism infection in nursing homes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2017;65:483–489.
13. Dumyati, G, Stone, ND, Nace, DA, Crnich, CJ, Jump, RL. Challenges and strategies for prevention of multidrug-resistant organism transmission in nursing homes. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2017;19 18-017-0576-7.
14. Tsan, L, Langberg, R, Davis, C, et al. Nursing home-associated infections in Department of Veterans Affairs community living centers. Am J Infect Control 2010;38:461–466.
15. Department of Veterans Affairs. Revised guideline for implementation of the VHA MRSA prevention initiative in community living centers. Unpublished internal document, 2013.
16. Ye, Z, Mukamel, DB, Huang, SS, Li, Y, Temkin-Greener, H. Healthcare-associated pathogens and nursing home policies and practices: results from a national survey. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015;36:759–766.
17. Chang, NC, Reisinger, HS, Jesson, AR, et al. Feasibility of monitoring compliance to the My 5 Moments and Entry/Exit hand hygiene methods in US hospitals. Am J Infect Control 2016;44:938–940.
18. Harris, AD, Pineles, L, Belton, B, et al. Universal glove and gown use and acquisition of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the ICU: a randomized trial. JAMA 2013;310:1571–1580.
19. Morgan, DJ, Pineles, L, Shardell, M, et al. The effect of contact precautions on healthcare worker activity in acute care hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013;34:69–73.
20. Dhar, S, Marchaim, D, Tansek, R, et al. Contact precautions: more is not necessarily better. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35:213–221.
21. Anderson, DJ, Weber, DJ, Sickbert-Bennett, E. On contact precautions: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35:222–224.
22. Schweon, SJ, Edmonds, SL, Kirk, J, Rowland, DY, Acosta, C. Effectiveness of a comprehensive hand hygiene program for reduction of infection rates in a long-term care facility. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:39–44.
23. Thompson, BL, Dwyer, DM, Ussery, XT, Denman, S, Vacek, P, Schwartz, B. Handwashing and glove use in a long-term-care facility. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997;18:97–103.
24. Mody, L. Infection control issues in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med 2007;23:499–514, vi.
25. Almaguer-Leyva, M, Mendoza-Flores, L, Medina-Torres, AG, et al. Hand hygiene compliance in patients under contact precautions and in the general hospital population. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:976–978.
26. Department of Veterans Affairs. Guidelines for standard and transmission-based precautions (formerly isolation). Unpublished internal document, 2016.