2. Rennert-May, E, Bush, K, Vickers, D, Smith, S. Use of a provincial surveillance system to characterize postoperative surgical site infections after primary hip and knee arthroplasty in Alberta, Canada. Am J Infect Control 2016;44:1310–1314.
5. Miletic, KG, Taylor, TN, Martin, ET, Vaidya, R, Kaye, KS. Readmissions after diagnosis of surgical site infection following knee and hip arthroplasty. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014; 35:152–157.
6. Horan, TC, Andrus, M, Dudeck, MA. CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. Am J Infect Control 2018; 36:309–332.
7. Osmon, DR, Berbari, EF, Berendt, AR, et al. Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56:e1–e25.
8. Zimlichman, E, Henderson, D, Tamir, O, et al. Health care-associated infections: a meta-analysis of costs and financial impact on the US health care system. JAMA Intern Med 2013; 173:2039–2046.
9. Tansey, R, Mirza, Y, Sukeik, M, Shaath, M, Haddad, FS. Definition of periprosthetic hip and knee joint infections and the economic burden. Open Orthop J 2016;10:662–668.
10. Kurtz, SM, Lau, E, Watson, H, Schmier, JK, Parvizi, J. Economic burden of periprosthetic joint infection in the United States. J Arthroplasty 2012;27:61–65.
11. Kuiper, JW, Willink, RT, Moojen, DJF, van den Bekerom, MP, Colen, S. Treatment of acute periprosthetic infections with prosthesis retention: review of current concepts. World J Orthop 2014,5:667–676.
12. Marculescu, CE, Berbari, EF, Hanssen, AD, et al. Outcome of prosthetic joint infections treated with debridement and retention of components. Clin Infect Dis 2006;42:471–478.
13. Fehring, TK, Odum, SM, Berend, KR, et al. Failure of irrigation and debridement for early postoperative periprosthetic infection. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2013;471:250–257.
14. Gehrke, T, Alijanipour, P, Parvizi, J. The management of an infected total knee arthroplasty. Bone Joint J 2015; 97B:20–29.
15. Lauderdale, KJ, Malone, CL, Boles, BR, Morcuende, J, Horswill, AR. Biofilm dispersal of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on orthopedic implant material. J Orthop Res 2010; 28:55–61.
16. Hutzler, L, Williams, J. Decreasing the incidence of surgical site infections following joint replacement surgery. Bull Hosp Jt Dis 2013;75:268–273.
17. Fabbian, F, De Giorgi, A, Maietti, E, et al. A modified Elixhauser score for predicting in-hospital mortality in internal medicine admissions. Eur J Intern Med 2017;40:37–42.
18. Shrive, FMC, Ghali, WA, Donaldson, C, Manns, BJ. The impact of using different costing methods on the results of an economic evaluation of cardiac care: microcosting vs gross-costing approaches. Health Econ 2009; 18:377–388.
20. Kapadia, BH, McElroy, MJ, Issa, K, Johnson, AJ, Bozic, KJ, Mont, MA. The economic impact of periprosthetic infections following total knee arthroplasty at a specialized tertiary-care center. J Arthroplasty 2014; 29:929–932.
21. Kapadia, BH, Banerjee, S, Cherian, JJ, Bozic, KJ, Mont, MA. The eonomic impact of periprosthetic infections after total hip arthroplasty at a specialized tertiary-care center. J Arthroplasty 2016; 31:1422–1426.
22. Ramos, N, Stachel, A, Phillips, M, Vigdorchik, J, Slover, J, Bosco, JA. Prior Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization: a risk factor for surgical site infections following decolonization. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2016;24:880–885.
23. Chen, AF, Heyl, AE, Xu, PZ, Rao, N, Klatt, BA. Preoperative decolonization effective at reducing staphylococcal colonization in total joint arthroplasty patients. J Arthroplasty 2013;28:18–20.