1. Hecker, MT, Aron, DC, Patel, NP, Lehmann, MK, Donskey, CJ. Unnecessary use of antimicrobials in hospitalized patients: current patterns of misuse with an emphasis on the antianaerobic spectrum of activity. Arch Intern Med 2003;163:972–978.
2. Holmes, AH, Moore, LS, Sundsfjord, A, et al. Understanding the mechanisms and drivers of antimicrobial resistance. Lancet 2016;387:176–187.
3. Tamma, PD, Avdic, E, Li, DX, Dzintars, K, Cosgrove, SE. Association of adverse events with antibiotic use in hospitalized patients. JAMA Intern Med 2017;177:1308–1315.
4. Bell, BG, Schellevis, F, Stobberingh, E, Goossens, H, Pringle, M. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of antibiotic consumption on antibiotic resistance. BMC Infect Dis 2014;14:13.
5. Lawrence, KL, Kollef, MH. Antimicrobial stewardship in the intensive care unit: advances and obstacles. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009;179:434–438.
6. Horikoshi, Y, Kaneko, T, Morikawa, Y, et al. The North Wind and the Sun: pediatric antimicrobial stewardship program combining restrictive and persuasive approaches in hematology-oncology ward and hematopoietic stem cell transplant unit. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2018;37:164–168.
7. Furuno, JP, Noble, BN, Fromme, EK. Should we refrain from antibiotic use in hospice patients? Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2016;14:277–280.
8. Mitchell, SL, Shaffer, ML, Loeb, MB, et al. Infection management and multidrug-resistant organisms in nursing home residents with advanced dementia. JAMA Intern Med 2014;174:1660–1667.
9. Givens, JL, Jones, RN, Shaffer, ML, Kiely, DK, Mitchell, SL. Survival and comfort after treatment of pneumonia in advanced dementia. Arch Intern Med 2010;170:1102–1107.
10. Metra, M, Ponikowski, P, Dickstein, K, et al. Advanced chronic heart failure: a position statement from the Study Group on Advanced Heart Failure of the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur J Heart Fail 2007;9:684–694.
11. Marciniuk, DD, Goodridge, D, Hernandez, P, et al. Managing dyspnea in patients with advanced chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a Canadian Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline. Can Respir J 2011;18:69–78.
12. Janssen, DJA, Spruit, MA, Schols, J, et al. Predicting changes in preferences for life-sustaining treatment among patients with advanced chronic organ failure. Chest 2012;141:1251–1259.
13. Andrassy, KM. Comments on 'KDIGO 2012 Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease. Kidney Int 2013;84:622–623.
14. Reisberg, B, Ferris, SH, de Leon, MJ, Crook, T. The Global Deterioration Scale for assessment of primary degenerative dementia. Am J Psychiatry 1982;139:1136–1139.
15. Salpeter, SR, Luo, EJ, Malter, DS, Stuart, B. Systematic review of noncancer presentations with a median survival of 6 months or less. Am J Med 2012;125:e511–e516.
17. D'Agata, E, Mitchell, SL. Patterns of antimicrobial use among nursing home residents with advanced dementia. Arch Intern Med 2008;168:357–362.
18. Charlson, ME, Pompei, P, Ales, KL, MacKenzie, CR. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis 1987;40:373–383.
19. Lau, KS, Tse, DM, Tsan Chen, TW, Lam, PT, Lam, WM, Chan, KS. Comparing noncancer and cancer deaths in Hong Kong: a retrospective review. J Pain Symptom Manage 2010;40:704–714.
20. Albrecht, JS, McGregor, JC, Fromme, EK, Bearden, DT, Furuno, JP. A nationwide analysis of antibiotic use in hospice care in the final week of life. J Pain Symptom Manage 2013;46:483–490.
21. Ahronheim, JC, Morrison, RS, Baskin, SA, Morris, J, Meier, DE. Treatment of the dying in the acute care hospital. Advanced dementia and metastatic cancer. Arch Intern Med 1996;156:2094–2100.
22. Nakagawa, S, Toya, Y, Okamoto, Y, et al. Can anti-infective drugs improve the infection-related symptoms of patients with cancer during the terminal stages of their lives? J Palliat Med 2010;13:535–540.
23. Ramadas, L, Feijo Barroso, P. High frequency of antimicrobials use in palliative care: are we moving in the right direction? J Palliat Med 2017;20:218–219.
24. Tse, DM, Chan, KS, Lam, WM, Leu, K, Lam, PT. The impact of palliative care on cancer deaths in Hong Kong: a retrospective study of 494 cancer deaths. Palliat Med 2007;21:425–433.
25. Juthani-Mehta, M, Malani, PN, Mitchell, SL. Antimicrobials at the end of life: an opportunity to improve palliative care and infection management. JAMA 2015;314:2017–2018.
26. Baghban, A, Juthani-Mehta, M. Antimicrobial use at the end of life. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2017;31:639–647.
27. Rosenberg, JH, Albrecht, JS, Fromme, EK, et al. Antimicrobial use for symptom management in patients receiving hospice and palliative care: a systematic review. J Palliat Med 2013;16:1568–1574.
28. Vitetta, L, Kenner, D, Sali, A. Bacterial infections in terminally ill hospice patients. J Pain Symptom Manage 2000;20:326–334.
29. Oh, DY, Kim, JH, Kim, DW, et al. Antibiotic use during the last days of life in cancer patients. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 2006;15:74–79.
30. Mirhosseini, M, Oneschuk, D, Hunter, B, Hanson, J, Quan, H, Amigo, P. The role of antibiotics in the management of infection-related symptoms in advanced cancer patients. J Palliat Care 2006;22:69–74.
31. Helde-Frankling, M, Bergqvist, J, Bergman, P, Bjorkhem-Bergman, L. Antibiotic treatment in end-of-life cancer patients-a retrospective observational study at a palliative care center in Sweden. Cancers (Basel) 2016;8:84.
32. White, PH, Kuhlenschmidt, HL, Vancura, BG, Navari, RM. Antimicrobial use in patients with advanced cancer receiving hospice care. J Pain Symptom Manag 2003;25:438–443.
33. Reinbolt, RE, Shenk, AM, White, PH, Navari, RM. Symptomatic treatment of infections in patients with advanced cancer receiving hospice care. J Pain Symptom Manage 2005;30:175–182.
34. Morgan, DJ, Malani, P, Diekema, DJ. Diagnostic stewardship-leveraging the laboratory to improve antimicrobial use. JAMA 2017;318:607–608.
35. Teixeira Rodrigues, A, Roque, F, Falcao, A, Figueiras, A, Herdeiro, MT. Understanding physician antibiotic prescribing behaviour: a systematic review of qualitative studies. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2013;41:203–212.
36. Cho, H, Klabunde, CN, Yabroff, KR, et al. Comorbidity-adjusted life expectancy: a new tool to inform recommendations for optimal screening strategies. Ann Intern Med 2013;159:667–676.
37. Heyland, DK, Barwich, D, Pichora, D, et al. Failure to engage hospitalized elderly patients and their families in advance care planning. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:778–787.
38. van der Steen, JT, Ooms, ME, van der Wal, G, Ribbe, MW. Withholding or starting antibiotic treatment in patients with dementia and pneumonia: prediction of mortality with physicians' judgment of illness severity and with specific prognostic models. Med Decis Making 2005;25:210–221.
39. Yao, CA, Hsieh, MY, Chiu, TY, et al. Wishes of patients with terminal cancer and influencing factors toward the use of antibiotics in Taiwan. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2015;32:537–543.