1. British Thoracic Society. British Thoracic Society Guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults. Thorax 2001; 56 (Suppl. 4): 1–64.
2. Macfarlane, J, Boldy, D. 2004 update of BTS guidelines: what's new? Thorax 2004; 59: 364–366.
3. British Thoracic Society. British Thoracic Society Guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in childhood. Thorax 2002; 57 (Suppl. 1): il-24.
4. Foy, HM, Conney, MK, Allan, I. Rates of pneumonia during influenza epidemics in Seattle, 1964 to 1975. Journal of the American Medical Association 1979; 241: 253–258.
5. Jokinen, C, et al. Incidence of community-acquired pneumonia in the population of four municipalities in Eastern Finland. American Journal of Epidemiology 1993; 137: 977–988.
6. Almirall, J, et al. Epidemiology of community-acquired pneumonia in adults: a population based study. European Respiratory Journal 2000; 15: 757–763.
7. Holmes, WF, Woodhead, MA. Providing better care for patients who may have pneumonia. Thorax 1999; 54: 925–928.
8. Bourke, A, Dattani, H, Robinson, M. Feasibility study and methodology to create a quality-evaluated database of primary care data. Informatics in Primary Care 2004; 12: 171–177.
9. EPIC. THIN data. Epiclink 2006; Issue 5, 1.
10. EPIC. THIN data from EPIC: a guide for researchers, 2007.
11. Lewis, JD, et al. Validation studies of the health improvement network (THIN) database for pharmacoepidemiology research. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2007; 16: 393–401.
12. EPIC. THIN – Quality Assurance, 2008.
13. Hansell, A, et al. Use of the General Practice Research Database (GPRD) for respiratory epidemiology with the 4th Morbidity Survey in General Practice (MSGP4). Thorax 1999; 54: 413–419.
14. EPIC. THIN data statistics. Epiclink 2004; Issue 3.
15. Adams, J, Ryan, V, White, M. How accurate are Townsend Deprivation scores as predictors of self-reported health? A comparison with individual level data. Journal of Public Health 2005; 27: 101–106.
16. Macfarlane, J, et al. Prospective study of aetiology and outcome of adult lower-respiratory tract infections in the community. Lancet 1993; 341: 511–514.
17. Woodhead, M, et al. Prospective study of the aetiology and outcome of pneumonia in the community. Lancet 1987; 1: 671–674.
18. Macfarlane, J, et al. Prospective study of the incidence, aetiology and outcome of adult lower respiratory tract illness in the community. Thorax 2001; 56: 109–114.
19. Almirall, J, et al. Incidence of community-acquired pneumonia and chlamydia pneumoniae infection: a prospective multicentre study. European Respiratory Journal 1993; 6: 14–18.
20. Houston, MS, Silverstein, MD, Suman, VJ. Community-acquired lower respiratory tract infection in the elderly: a community-based study of incidence and outcome. Journal American Board Family Practitioners 1995; 8: 347–356.
21. Office for National Statistics. Life expectancy and healthy life expectancy at birth: by gender: social trends 31, 2002.
22. Kapur, N, et al. Primary care consultation predictors in men and women: a cohort study. British Journal of General Practice 2005; 55: 108–113.
23. Scaife, B, et al. Socio-economic characteristics of adult frequent attenders in general practice: secondary analysis of data. Family Practice 2000; 17: 298–304.
24. Campbell, S, Roland, M. Why do people consult the doctor? Family Practice 1996; 13: 75–83.
25. Walters, S, Phupinyokul, M, Ayres, J. Hospital admission rates for asthma and respiratory disease in the West Midlands: their relationship to air pollution levels. Thorax 1995; 50: 948–954.
26. Farr, BM, et al. Risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia diagnosed upon hospital admission. Respiratory Medicine 2000; 94: 954–963.
27. Vrbova, L, et al. Does socioeconomic status affect mortality subsequent to hospital admission for community acquired pneumonia among older persons? Journal of Negative Results in BioMedicine 2005; 4: 4.
28. Loeb, MB. Community-acquired pneumonia in older people: the need for a broader perspective. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2003; 51: 539–543.
29. Farr, BM, et al. Risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia diagnosed by general practitioners in the community. Respiratory Medicine 2000; 94: 422–427.
30. Trotter, CL, et al. Increasing hospital admissions for pneumonia, England. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2008; 14: 727–733.
31. Pebody, RG, et al. Uptake of pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in at-risk populations in England and Wales 1999–2005. Epidemiology and Infection 2008; 136: 360–369.