1.Sub-committee of the Research Committee of the British Thoracic Society and the Public Health Laboratory Service. Community-acquired pneumonia in adults in British hospitals in 1982–1983: a survey of aetiology, mortality, prognostic factors and outcome. Quart J Med 1987; new series 62, 239: 195–220.
2. Public Health Laboratory Service. Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre. CDR 85/50.
3.Mitchell, E, O'mahoney, M, Watson, JM, et al. Two outbreaks of Legionnaires' disease in Bolton Health District. Epidemiol Infect 1990; 104: 159–70.
4.O'mahoney, MC, Stanwell-Smith, RE, Tillett, HE, et al. The Stafford outbreak of Legionnaires' disease. Epidemiol Infect 1990; 104: 361–80.
5.Harrison, TG, Taylor, AG. A rapid microagglutination test for the diagnosis of Legionella pneumophila (serogroup 1) infection. J Clin Pathol 1982; 35: 1028–31.
6.Taylor, AG, Harrison, TG. Formolised yolk sac antigen in early diagnosis of Legionnaires' disease caused by Legionella pneumophila serogroup 1. Lancet 1981; ii: 591–2.
7.Watkins, ID, Tobin, Jo'h, Dennis, PJ, et al. Legionella pneumophila serogroup 1 subgrouping by monoclonal antibodies – an epidemiological tool. J Hyg 1985; 95: 211–6.
8.Williams, A, Baskerville, A, Dowsett, AB, Conlan, JW. Immunocytochemical demonstration of the association between Legionella pneumophila, its tissue-destructive protease and pulmonary lesions in experimental Legionnaires' disease. J Path 1987; 153: 257–64.
9.Tillett, HE. Statistical analysis of case-control studies of communicable diseases. Int J Epidemiol 1986; 15: 126–33.
10. Department of Health. The control of legionellae in health care premises – a code of practice. London: HMSO 1988.
11. Department of Health and Social Security. Health Services Management. Legionnaires disease and hospital water systems. London: Department of Health and Social Security, 1980. (HN(80)39).
12. Department of Health and Social Security. Health Services Management. Legionnaires disease: interim engineering guidance no. 2. Cooling towers and evaporative condensers. London: Department of Health and Social Security, 1986. (HN(Hazard)(86)1).
13.Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers. Technical Memorandum (TM) 13. Minimising the risk of Legionnaires' disease. London: Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, 1987.
14.Bartlett, CLR, Bibby, LF. Epidemic legionellosis in England and Wales 1979–82. Zentrabl Bacteriol Mikrobiol Hyg Orig A (1983); 255: 64–70.
15.Anderson, P, Bartlett, C, Cook, G, Woodward M. Legionnaires disease in Reading – possible association with a cooling tower. Community Med 1985; 7: 202–7.
16.Morton, S, Bartlett, CLR, Bibby, LF, et al. Outbreak of Legionnaires' disease from a cooling water system in a power station. Br J Indust Med 1986; 43: 630–5.
17. Committee of inquiry. First report of the Committee of Inquiry into the Outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease in Stafford in April, 1985. HMSO. Cmnd 9772
18.Ad-hoc committee. Outbreak of legionellosis in a community. Lancet 1986; ii: 380–3.
19.Timbury, MC, Donaldson, JR, McCartney, AC, et al. Outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in Glasgow Royal Infirmary: microbiological aspects. J Hyg 1986; 97: 393–403.
20. Health and Safety Executive. Legionnaires' disease. Guidance note EH48. January 1987.
21.Saunders, NA, Harrison, TG, Haththotuwa, A, et al. A method for typing strains of Legionella pneumophila serogroup 1 by analysis of restriction fragment length polymorphisms. J Med Microbiol 1990; 31: 45–55.