1. Blackmon, BJ, Lee, J, Cochran, DM Jr, et al. Adapting to life after Hurricane Katrina and the Deepwater Horizon oil spill: an examination of psychological resilience and depression on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Soc Work Public Health. 2017;32(1):65-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/19371918.2016.1188746.
2. Osofsky, HJ, Osofsky, JD, Hansel, TC. Deepwater Horizon oil spill: mental health effects on residents in heavily affected areas. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2011;5(4):280-286. https://doi.org/10.1001/dmp.2011.85.
3. Shenesey, JW, Langhinrichsen-Rohling, J. Perceived resilience: examining impacts of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill one-year post-spill. Psychol Trauma. 2015;7(3):252-258. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0035182.
4. Abramson, DM, Grattan, LM, Mayer, B, et al. The resilience activation framework: a conceptual model of how access to social resources promotes adaptation and rapid recovery in post-disaster settings. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2015;42(1):42-57. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-014-9410-2.
7. Bergstrand, K, Mayer, B, Brumback, B, et al. Assessing the relationship between social vulnerability and community resilience to hazards. Soc Indic Res. 2015;122(2):391-409. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-014-0698-3.
8. Kulig, JC, Edge, DS, Townshend, I, et al. Community resiliency: emerging theoretical insights. J Community Psychol. 2013;41(6):758-775. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.21569.
9. Walker, B, Salt, D. Resilience Thinking: Sustaining Ecosystems and People in a Changing World. Washington, DC: Island Press; 2006.
10. Cai, H, Lam, NS, Zou, L, et al. Assessing community resilience to coastal hazards in the lower Mississippi river basin. Water. 2016;8(2):46. https://doi.org/10.3390/w8020046.
12. Norris, FH, Stevens, SP, Pfefferbaum, B, et al. Community resilience as a metaphor, theory, set of capacities, and strategy for disaster readiness. Am J Community Psychol. 2008;41(1-2):127-150. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10464-007-9156-6.
13. Pfefferbaum, RL, Pfefferbaum, B, Nitiéma, P, et al. Assessing community resilience: an application of the expanded CART survey instrument with affiliated volunteer responders. Am Behav Sci. 2015;59(2):181-199. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764214550295.
15. Adeola, FO, Picou, JS. Social capital and the mental health impacts of Hurricane Katrina: assessing long-term patterns of psychosocial distress. Int J Mass Emerg Disasters. 2014;32(1):121-156.
16. Fullerton, CS, Ursano, RJ, Liu, X, et al. Depressive symptom severity and community collective efficacy following the 2004 Florida hurricanes. PLoS One. 2015;10(6):e0130863. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0130863.
17. Lowe, SR, Sampson, L, Gruebner, O, et al. Psychological resilience after hurricane Sandy: the influence of individual- and community-level factors on mental health after a large-scale natural disaster. PLoS One. 2015;10(5):e0125761. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0125761.
20. Pangallo, A, Zibarras, L, Lewis, R, et al. Resilience through the lens of interactionism: a systematic review. Psychol Assess. 2015;27(1):1-20. https://doi.org/10.1037/pas0000024.
21. Youssef, NA, Green, KT, Beckham, JC, et al. A 3-year longitudinal study examining the effect of resilience on suicidality in veterans. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2013;25(1):59-66.
22. Wild, J, Smith, KV, Thompson, E, et al. A prospective study of pre-trauma risk factors for post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. Psychol Med. 2016;46(12):2571-2582. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291716000532.
24. Ungar, M. Social ecologies and their contribution to resilience. In Ungar M, ed. The Social Ecology of Resilience: A Handbook of Theory and Practice. New York, NY: Springer; 2012:13-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-0586-3_2.
25. Williams, AL, Merten, MJ. Linking community, parenting, and depressive symptom trajectories: testing resilience models of adolescent agency based on race/ethnicity and gender. J Youth Adolesc. 2014;43(9):1563-1575. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-014-0141-8.
26. Lyons, A, Fletcher, G, Bariola, E. Assessing the well-being benefits of belonging to resilient groups and communities: development and testing of the Fletcher-Lyons Collective Resilience Scale (FLCRS). Group Dyn. 2016;20(2):65-77. https://doi.org/10.1037/gdn0000041.
28. Ni, C, Chow, MCM, Jiang, X, et al. Factors associated with resilience of adult survivors five years after the 2008 Sichuan earthquake in China. PLoS One. 2015;10(3):e0121033. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0121033.
30. Sareen, J, Afifi, TO, McMillan, KA, et al. Relationship between household income and mental disorders: findings from a population-based longitudinal study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011;68(4):419-427. https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.15.
31. Gooding, PA, Hurst, A, Johnson, J, et al. Psychological resilience in young and older adults. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2012;27(3):262-270. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.2712.
33. Paxson, C, Fussell, E, Rhodes, J, et al. Five years later: recovery from post traumatic stress and psychological distress among low-income mothers affected by Hurricane Katrina. Soc Sci Med. 2012;74(2):150-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.10.004.
35. De Soir, E, Zech, E, Versporten, A, et al. Degree of exposure and peritraumatic dissociation as determinants of PTSD symptoms in the aftermath of the Ghislenghien gas explosion. Arch Public Health. 2015;73(1):21. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13690-015-0069-9.
36. Harville, EW, Xiong, X, Smith, BW, et al. Combined effects of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Gustav on the mental health of mothers of small children. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2011;18(4):288-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2010.01658.x.
38. Pfefferbaum, RL, Neas, BR, Pfefferbaum, B, et al. The Communities Advancing Resilience Toolkit (CART): development of a survey instrument to assess community resilience. Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2013;15(1):15-29.
39. Campbell-Sills, L, Stein, MB. Psychometric analysis and refinement of the Connor–Davidson Resilience Scale (CD-RISC): validation of a 10-item measure of resilience. J Trauma Stress. 2007;20(6):1019-1028. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.20271.
41. Pascoe, JM, Specht, S, McNicholas, C, et al. Correlates of mothers’ perception of their communities’ social capital: a community-based study. Matern Child Health J. 2013;17(8):1382-1390. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-012-1138-0.
42. Walsh, SD, Levine, SZ, Levav, I. The association between depression and parental ethnic affiliation and socioeconomic status: a 27-year longitudinal US community study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2012;47(7):1153-1158. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-011-0424-2.
43. Hair, JF, Anderson, RE, Tatham, RL, et al. Multivariate Data Analysis, 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1998.
44. Tabachnick, BG, Fidell, LS. Using Multivariate Statistics. 4th ed. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon; 2001.
45. Arbuckle, JL. Amos 21.0 [computer software]. Chicago, IL: SPSS; 2012.
46. Hu, L, Bentler, PM. Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Struct Equ Modeling. 1999;6(1):1-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118.
47. Sobel, ME. Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. In Leinhardt S, ed. Sociological Methodology. Washington, DC: American Sociological Association; 1982:290-312. https://doi.org/10.2307/270723.
48. Kim, J, Han, JY, Shaw, B, et al. The roles of social support and coping strategies in predicting breast cancer patients’ emotional well-being: testing mediation and moderation models. J Health Psychol. 2010;15(4):543-552. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105309355338.
49. Kar, N, Bastia, BK. Post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and generalised anxiety disorder in adolescents after a natural disaster: a study of comorbidity. Clin Pract Epidemol Ment Health. 2006;2(1):17. https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-0179-2-17.
50. Fullerton, CS, Ursano, RJ, Wang, L. Acute stress disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, and depression in disaster or rescue workers. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161(8):1370-1376. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.8.1370.
52. Macedo, T, Wilheim, L, Gonçalves, R, et al. Building resilience for future adversity: a systematic review of interventions in non-clinical samples of adults. BMC Psychiatry. 2014;14(1):227. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-014-0227-6.