1. McGorry, PD, Jackson, HJ, eds. The Recognition and Management of Early Psychosis. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press; 1999.
2. McGlashan, TH, Zipursky, R, Perkins, DO et al. The PRIME North America randomized double-blind clinical trial of olanzapine versus placebo in patients at risk of being prodromally symptomatic for psychosis. I. Study rationale and design. Schizophr Res. 2003;61:7–18.
3. Cornblatt, B, Obuchowski, M. Update of high-risk research: 1987-1997. International Review of Psychiatry. 1997;9:437–447.
4. Yung, AR, McGorry, PD, McFarlane, CA, Patton, GC, Rakkar, A. Monitoring and care of young people at incipient risk of psychosis. Schizophr Bull. 1996;22:283–303.
5. Yung, AR, McGorry, PD. The initial prodrome in psychosis: descriptive and qualitative aspects. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 1996;30:587–599.
6. Yung, AR, McGorry, PD. The prodromal phase of first-episode psychosis: past and current conceptualizations. Schizophr Bull. 1996;22:353–370.
7. McGorry, PD, Yung, A, Phillips, LEthics and early intervention in psychosis: keeping up the pace and staying in step. Schizophr Res. 2001;51:17–29.
8. Yung, AR, Phillips, L, McGorry, PD et al. Prediction of psychosis. Br J Psychiatry. 1998;172(suppl 33):14–20.
9. Miller, TJ, McGlashan, TH, Rosen, JL et al. Prospective diagnosis of the initial prodrome for schizophrenia based on the Structured Interview for Prodromal Syndromes: preliminary evidence of interrater reliability and predictive validity. Am J Psychiatry. 2002;159:863–865.
10. Yung, AR, Phillips, LJ, Yuen, H et al. Psychosis prediction: 12-month follow up of a high-risk (“prodromal”) group. Schizophr Res. 2003;60:21–32.
11. Schaffner, KF, McGorry, PD. Preventing severe mental illnesses--new prospects and ethical challenges. Schizophr Res. 2001;51:3–15.
12. Chapman, LJ, Chapman, JP. The search for symptoms predictive of schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull. 1987;13:497–503.
13. Chapman, LJ, Chapman, JP, Kwapil, TR, Eckblad, M, Zinser, MC. Putatively psychosis-prone subjects 10 years later. J Abnorm Psychol. 1994;103:171–183.
14. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 3rd ed-rev. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 1987.
15. Jackson, HJ, McGorry, PD, Dudgeon, P. Prodromal symptoms of schizophrenia in first-episode psychosis: prevalence and specificity. Compr Psychiatry. 1995;36:241–250.
16. Yung, AR, Phillips, LJ, McGorry, PD, Ward, JL, Thompson, K. The Comprehensive Assessment of At-Risk Mental States (CAARMS). Melbourne, Australia: University of Melbourne; 2000.
17. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mentd Disorders. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 1994.
18. Miller, TJ, McGlashan, TH, Woods, SW et al. Symptom assessment in schizophrenic prodromal states. Psychiatr Q. 1999;70:273–287.
19. McGlashan, TH. Psychosis treatment prior to psychosis onset: ethical issues. Schizophr Res. 2001;51:47–54.
20. Hawkins, KA, McGlashan, TH, Quinlan, D et al. Factorial structure of the Scale of Prodromal Symptoms. Schizophr Res. 2004;61:339–347.
21. Gross, G. The ‘basic’ symptoms of schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry. 1989;155(suppl):21–25.
22. Klosterkötter, J. The meaning of basic symptoms for the development of schizophrenic psychosis. Neur Psychiatr Brain Res. 1992;1:30–41.
23. Klosterkötter, J, Gross, G, Huber, G, Wieneke, A, Steinmeyer, EM, Schultze-Lutter, F. Evaluation of the ‘Bonn Scale for the Assessment of Basic Symptoms– BSABS’ as an instrument for the assessment of schizophrenia proneness: a review of recent findings. Neur Psychiatr Brain Res. 1997;5:137–150.
24. Klosterkötter, J, Hellmich, M, Steinmeyer, EM, Schultze-Lutter, F. Diagnosing schizophrenia in the initial prodromal phase. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2001;58:158–164.
25. Wieneke, A, Schultz-Lutter, F, Picker, H, Steinmeyer, EM, Klosterkötter, J. The Schizophrenia Prediction Instrument (SPI-A): first preliminary results of the evaluation study. Schizophr Res. 2002;53:37.
24. Addington, J. The prodromal stage of psychotic illness: observation, detection, or intervention? J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2003;28:93–97.
25. McGorry, PD, Yung, A, Phillips, L et al. Randomized controlled trial of interventions designed to reduce the risk of progression to first-episode psychosis in a clinical sample with subthreshold symptoms. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:921–928.
26. Woods, SW, Breier, A, Zipursky, RB et al. Randomized trial of olanzapine vs placebo in the symptomatic treatment of patients meeting criteria for the schizophrenic prodrome. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54:453–464.