1. Bleuler, E. Dementia Praecox, or the Group of Schizophrenias. J. Zinkin, Trans: New York: International Universities Press; 1950 (Original work published 1911).
2. Bowie, CR, Leung, WW, Reichenberg, A, et al. Predicting Schizophrenia Patients’ Real-world Behavior with Specific Neuropsychological and Functional Capacity Measures. Biol Psychiatry. 2008; 63(5): 505–511.
3. Bowie, CR, Reichenberg, A, Patterson, TL, Heaton, RK, Harvey, PD. Determinants of Real-world Functional Performance in Schizophrenia Subjects: Correlations with Cognition, Functional Capacity, and Symptoms. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(3): 418–425.
4. Bowie, CR, Depp, C, McGrath, JA, et al. Prediction of Real-world Functional Disability in Chronic Mental Disorders: a Comparison of Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167(9): 1116–1124.
5. Harvey, PD, Raykov, T, Twamley, EW, Vella, L, Heaton, RK, Patterson, TL. Validating the Measurement of Real-world Functional Outcomes: Phase I Results of the VALERO Study. Am J Psychiatry. 2011; 168(11): 1195–1201.
6. Fett, AK, Viechtbauer, W, Dominguez, MD, Penn, DL, van Os, J, Krabbendam, L. The Relationship between Neurocognition and Social Cognition with Functional Outcomes in Schizophrenia: a Meta-analysis. Neuroscience Biobehav Rev. 2011; 35(3): 573–588.
7. Green, MF, Kern, RS, Braff, DL, Mintz, J. Neurocognitive Deficits and Functional Outcome in Schizophrenia: Are We Measuring the “Right Stuff”? Schizophr Bull. 2000; 26(1): 119–136.
8. Tabares-Seisdedos, R, Balanza-Martinez, V, Sanchez-Moreno, J, et al. Neurocognitive and Clinical Predictors of Functional Outcome in Patients with Schizophrenia and Bipolar I Disorder at One-year Follow-up. J Affect Disord. 2008; 109(3): 286–299.
9. Brekke, JS, Levin, S, Wolkon, GH, Sobel, E, Slade, E. Psychosocial Functioning and Subjective Experience in Schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull. 1993; 19(3): 599–608.
10. Pinkham, AE, Penn, DL, Green, MF, Buck, B, Healey, K, Harvey, PD. The Social Cognition Psychometric Evaluation Study: Results of the Expert Survey and RAND Panel. Schizophr Bull. 2014; 40(4): 813–823.
11. Gold, JM, Barch, DM, Carter, CS, et al. Clinical, Functional, and Intertask Correlations of Measures Developed by the Cognitive Neuroscience Test Reliability and Clinical Applications for Schizophrenia Consortium. Schizophr Bull. 2012; 38(1): 144–152.
12. Knowles, EE, Weiser, M, David, AS, Glahn, DC, Davidson, M, Reichenberg, A. The Puzzle of Processing Speed, Memory, and Executive Function Impairments in Schizophrenia: Fitting the Pieces Together. Biol Psychiatry. 2015; 78(11): 786–793.
13. Keefe, RS, Poe, M, Walker, TM, Kang, JW, Harvey, PD. The Schizophrenia Cognition Rating Scale: an Interview-based Assessment and Its Relationship to Cognition, Real-world Functioning, and Functional Capacity. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(3): 426–432.
14. McClure, MM, Bowie, CR, Patterson, TL, et al. Correlations of Functional Capacity and Neuropsychological Performance in Older Patients with Schizophrenia: Evidence for Specificity of Relationships? Schizophr Res. 2007; 89(1-3): 330–338.
15. Depp, CA, Mausbach, BT, Harmell, AL, et al. Meta-analysis of the Association between Cognitive Abilities and Everyday Functioning in Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2012; 14(3): 217–226.
16. Pinkham, AE, Penn, DL, Green, MF, Harvey, PD. Social Cognition Psychometric Evaluation: Results of the Initial Psychometric Study. Schizophr Bull. 2016; 42(2): 494–504.
17. Sabbag, S, Twamley, EM, Vella, L, Heaton, RK, Patterson, TL, Harvey, PD. Assessing Everyday Functioning in Schizophrenia: Not All Informants Seem Equally Informative. Schizophr Research. 2011; 131(1-3): 250–255.
18. Harvey, PD, Sabbag, S, Prestia, D, Durand, D, Twamley, EW, Patterson, TL. Functional Milestones and Clinician Ratings of Everyday Functioning in People with Schizophrenia: Overlap between Milestones and Specificity of Ratings. J Psychiatric Res. 2012; 46(12): 1546–1552.
19. Nuechterlein, KH, Green, MF, Kern, RS, et al. The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery, Part 1: Test Selection, Reliability, and Validity. Am J Psychiatry. 2008; 165(2): 203–213.
20. Koren, D, Seidman, LJ, Goldsmith, M, Harvey, PD. Real-world Cognitive and Metacognitive Dysfunction in Schizophrenia: A New Approach for Measuring (and Remediating) More of the “Right Stuff”. Schizophr Bull. 2006; 32(2): 310–326.
21. Gould, F, McGuire, LS, Durand, D, et al. Self-assessment in Schizophrenia: Accuracy of Evaluation of Cognition and Everyday Functioning. Neuropsychology. 2015; 29(5): 675–682.
22. McKibbin, C, Patterson, TL, Jeste, DV. Assessing Disability in Older Patients with Schizophrenia: Results from the WHODAS-II. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2004; 192(6): 405–413.
23. Green, MF, Schooler, NR, Kern, RS, et al. Evaluation of Functionally Meaningful Measures for Clinical Trials of Cognition Enhancement in Schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 2011; 168(4): 400–407.
24. Holshausen, K, Bowie, CR, Mausbach, BT, Patterson, TL, Harvey, PD. Neurocognition, Functional Capacity, and Functional outcomes: the Cost of Inexperience. Schizophr Res. 2014; 152(2-3): 430–434.
25. Patterson, TL, Semple, SJ, Shaw, WS, et al. Self-Reported Social Functioning Among Older Patients with Schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 1997; 27(2-3): 199–210.
26. Harvey, PD, Khan, AK, Keefe, RS. Using the PANNS to Define Different Domains of Negative Symptoms: Prediction of Everyday Functioning by Impairments in Emotional Expression and Emotional Experience. Innov Clin Neurosci. 2017; 14(11–12): 18–22.
27. Healey, KM, Combs, DR, Gibson, CM, Keefe, RS, Roberts, DL, Penn, DL. Observable Social Cognition-A Rating Scale: an Interview-Based Assessment for Schizophrenia. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry. 2015; 20(3): 198–221.
28. Bryson, G, Bell, M, Lysaker, P. Affect recognition in schizophrenia: a function of global impairment or a specific cognitive deficit. Psychiatry Res. 1997; 71(2): 105–113.
29. Kohler, CG, Turner, TH, Bilker, WB, et al. Facial emotion recognition in schizophrenia: intensity effects and error pattern. Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 60(10): 1768–1774
30. Corcoran, R, Mercer, G, Frith, CD. Schizophrenia, symptomatology and social inference: investigating “theory of mind” in people with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 1995; 17(1): 5–13.
31. Keefe, RS, Davis, VG, Spagnola, NB, et al. Reliability, Validity and Treatment Sensitivity of the Schizophrenia Cognition Rating Scale. Eur Psychopharmacol. 2015; 25(2): 176–184.
32. Silberstein, J. M., Pinkham, A. E., Penn, D. L., & Harvey, P. D. Self-assessment of social cognitive ability in schizophrenia: Association with social cognitive test performance, informant assessments of social cognitive ability, and everyday outcomes. Schizophr Res. doi:10.1016/j.schres.2018.04.015 epub before publication