1. Wang, PS, West, JC, Tanielian, T, Pincus, HA. Recent patterns and predictors of antipsychotic, medication regimens used to treat schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. Schizophr Bull. 2000;26:451–457.
2. Peacock, L, Gerlach, J. Clozapine treatment in Denmark: concomitant psychotropic medication and hematologic monitoring in a system with liberal usage practices. J Clin Psychiatry. 1994;55:44–49.
3. Farde, L, Nordstrom, AL, Wiesel, FA, et al. Positron emission tomographic analysis of central D1, and D2 dopamine receptor occupancy in patients treated with classical neuroleptics and clozapine: relation to extrapyramidal side effects. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992;49:538–544.
4. Kapur, S, Seeman, P. Does fast dissociation from the dopamine D2 receptor explain the action of atypical antipsychotics?: a new hypothesis. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:360–369.
5. Henderson, DC, Goff, DC, Connolly, CE, Borba, CP, Hayden, D. Risperidone added to clozapine: impact on serum prolactin levels. J Clin Psychiatry. 2001;62:605–608.
6. Shiloh, R, Zemishlany, Z, Aizenberg, D, et al. Sulpiride augmentation in people with schizophrenia partially responsive to clozapine: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Br J Psychiatry. 1997;171:569–573.
7. Kapur, S, Roy, P, Daskalakis, J, Remington, G, Zipursky, R. Increased dopamine D2 receptor occupancy and elevated prolactin level associated with addition of haloperidol to clozapine. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:311–314.
8. Potter, WZ, Ko, GN, Zhang, LD, Yan, W. Clozapine in China: a review and preview of US/PRC collaboration. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1989;99:S87–S91.
9. Henderson, D, Goff, D. Risperidone as an adjunct to clozapine therapy in chronic schizophrenics. J Clin Psychiatry. 1996;57:395–397.
10. Friedman, J, Ault, K, Powchik, P. Pimozide augmentation for the treatment of schizophrenic patients who are partial responders to clozapine. Biol Psychiatry. 1997;42:522–523.
11. Mowerman, S, Siris, SG. Adjunctive loxapine in a clozapine-resistant cohortof schizophrenic patients. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 1996;8:193–197.
12. de Groot, IW, Heck, AH, van Harten, PN. Addition of risperidone to clozapine therapy in chronically psychotic inpatients [letter]. J Clin Psychiatry. 2001;62:129–130.
13. Tyson, SC, Devane, CL, Risch, SC. Pharmacokinetic interaction between risperidone and clozapine. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152:1401–1402.
14. Koreen, AR, Lieberman, JA, Kronig, M, Cooper, TB. Cross-tapering clozapine and risperidone [letter]. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152:1690.
15. Kramer, M, Vogel, W, DiJohnson, C, et al. Antidepressants in depressed schizophrenic inpatients: a controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989;46:922–928.
16. Siris, SG, Adan, F, Cohen, M, et al. Targeted treatment of depression-like symptoms in schizophrenia. Psychopharmacol Bull. 1987;23:85–89.
17. Siris, S, Bermazohn, P, Mason, S, Shuwall, M. Maintenance imipramine therapy for secondary depression in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994;51:109–115.
18. Hogarty, GE, McEvoy, JP, Ulrich, RF, et al. Pharmacotherapy of impaired affect in recovering schizophrenic patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1995;52:29–41.
19. Evins, A, Goff, D. Adjunctive antidepressant drug therapies in the treatment of negative symptoms of schizophrenia. CNS Drugs. 1996;6:130–147.
20. Goff, D, Midha, K, Sarid-Segal, O, Hubbard, J, Amico, E. A placebo-controlled trial of fluoxetine added to neuroleptic in patients with schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1995;117:417–423.
21. Lee, MD, Kim, YK, Lee, SK, Suh, KY. A double-blind study of adjunctive sertraline in haloperidol-stabilized patients with chronic schizophrenia. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1998;18:399–403.
22. Salokangas, RKR, Saarijarvi, S, Taiminen, T, et al. Citalopram as an adjuvant in chronic schizophrenia: a double-blind placebo-controlled study. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1996;94:175–180.
23. Buchanan, RW, Kirkpatrick, B, Bryant, N, Ball, P, Breier, A. Fluoxetine augmentation of clozapine treatment in patients with schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 1996;153:1625–1627.
24. Stanford, SC. Prozac: panacea or puzzle? TiPS. 1996;17:150–154.
25. Goff, D, Baldessarini, R. Drug interactions with antipsychotic agents. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1993;13:57–67.
26. Wetzel, H, Anghelescu, I, Szegedi, A, et al. Pharmacokinetic interactions of clozapine with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: differential effects of fluvoxamine and paroxetine in a prospective study. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1998;18:2–9.
27. Berk, M, Ichim, C, Brook, S. Efficacy of mirtazapine add on therapy to haloperidol in the treatment of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2001;16:87–92.
28. Evins, AE, Mays, VK, Rigotti, NA, et al. A pilot trial of bupropion added to cognitive behavioral therapy for smoking cessation in schizophrenia. Nicotine Tob Res. 2001;3:1–7.
29. Citrome, L, Levine, J, Allingham, B. Changes in use of valproate and other mood stabilizers for patients with schizophrenia from 1994 to 1998. Psychiatr Serv. 2000;51:634–638.
30. Christison, G, Kirch, D, Wyatt, R. When symptoms persist: choosing among alternative somatic treatments for schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull. 1991;17:217–245.
31. Carmen, JS, Bigelow, LB, Wyatt, RJ. Lithium combined with neuroleptics in chronic schizophrenic and schizoaffective patients. J Clin Psychiatry. 1981;42:124–128.
32. Growe, GA, Crayton, JW, Klass, DB, Evans, H, Stizich, M. Lithium in chronic schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 1979;7:178–182.
33. Small, JG, Kellams, JJ, Milstein, V, Moore, J. A placebo-controlled study of lithium combined with neuroleptics in chronic schizophrenic patients. Am J Psychiatry. 1975;132:1315–1317.
34. Collins, PJ, Larkin, EP, Shubsachs, AP. Lithium carbonate in chronic schiz-ophrenia—a brief trial of lithium carbonate added to neuroleptics for treatment of resistant schizophrenic patients. Ada Psychiatr Scand. 1991;84:150–154.
35. Wilson, WH. Addition of lithium to haloperidol in non-affective, antipsychotic nonresponsive schizophrenia: a double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel design clinical trial. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1993;111:359–366.
36. Terao, T, Oga, T, Nozaki, S, et al. Lithium addition to neuroleptic treatment in chronic schizophrenia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study. Ada Psychiatr Scand. 1995;92:220–224.
37. Schulz, SC, Thompson, PA, Jacobs, M, et al. Lithium augmentation fails to reduce symptoms in poorly responsive schizophrenic outpatients. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999;60:366–372.
38. Chong, S-A, Remington, G. Clozapine augmentation: safety and efficacy. Schizophr Bull. 2000;26:421–440.
39. Wassef, AA, Dott, SG, Harris, A, et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled pilot study of divalproex sodium in the treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic schizophrenia. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2000;20:357–361.
40. Ko, GN, Korpi, ER, Freed, WJ, Zalcman, SJ, Bigelow, LB. Effect of valproic acid on behavior and plasma amino acid concentrations in chronic schizophrenic patients. Biol Psychiatry. 1985;20:199–228.
41. Dose, M, Hellweg, R, Yassouridis, A, Theison, M, Emrich, HM. Combined treatment of schizophrenic psychoses with haloperidol and valproate. Pharmacopsychiatry. 1998;31:122–125.
42. Hesslinger, B, Normann, C, Langosch, JM, et al. Effects of carbamazepine and valproate on haloperidol plasma levels and on psychopathologic outcome in schizophrenic patients. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1999;19:310–315.
43. Simhandl, C, Meszaros, K. The use of carbamazepine in the treatment of schizophrenic and schizoaffective psychoses: a review. J Psychiatr Neurosci. 1992;17:1–14.
44. Neppe, VM. Carbamazepine as adjunctive treatment in nonepileptic chronic inpatients with EEG temporal lobe abnormalities. J Clin Psychiatry. 1983;44:326–331.
45. Carpenter, WT, Kurz, R, Kirkpatrick, B, et al. Carbamazepine maintenance treatment in outpatient schizophrenics. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991;48:69–72
46. Arana, GW, Gof f, DC, Friedman, H, et al. Does carbamazepine-induced reduction of plasma haloperidol levels worsen psychotic symptoms? Am J Psychiatry. 1986;143:650–651.
47. Wolokowitz, OM, Pickar, D. Benzodiazepines in the treatment of schizophrenia: a review and reappraisal. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148:714–726.
48. Csernansky, JG, Riney, SJ, Lombrozo, L, Overall, JE, Hollister, LE. Double-blind comparison of alprazolam, diazepam, and placebo for the treatment of negative schizophrenic symptoms. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988;45:655–659.
49. Dixon, L, Weiden, PJ, Frances, AJ, Sweeney, J. Alprazolam intolerance in stable schizophrenic outpatients. Psychopharmacol Bull. 1989;25:213–214.
50. Wolkowitz, OM, Breier, A, Doran, A, et al. Alprazolam augmentation of the antipsychotic effects of fluphenazine in schizophrenic patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988;143:664–671.
51. Arana, G, Ornsteen, ML, Kanter, F, et al. The use of benzodiazepines for psychiatric disorders: a literature review and preliminary findings. Psychopharmacol Bull. 1986;22:77–87.
52. Cohen, S, Khan, A. Adjunctive benzodiazepines in acute schizophrenia. Neuropsychobiology. 1987;18:9–12.
53. Garza-Trevino, ES, Hollister, LE, Overall, JE, Alexander, WF. Efficacy of combinations of intramuscular antipsychotics and sedative-hypnotics for control of psychotic agitation. Am J Psychiatry. 1989;146:1598–1601.
54. Salzman, C, Green, Al, Rodriguez-Villa, F, Jaskiw, GI. Benzodiazepines combined with neuroleptics for management of severe disruptive behavior. Psychosomatics. 1986;27(supp l):17–22.
55. Carpenter, WRJ, Buchanan, RW, Kirkpatrick, B, Breier, AF. Diazepam treatment of early signs of exacerbation in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 1999;156:199–303.
56. Angrist, B, Peselow, E, Rubinstein, M, Corwin, J, Rotrosen, J. Partial improvement in negative schizophrenic symptoms after amphetamine. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1982;78:128–130.
57. Van Kammen, DP, Boronow, JJ. Dextro-amphetamine diminishes negative symptoms in schizophrenia [abstract]. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 1988;3:111–121.
58. Mathew, RJ, Wilson, WH. Changes in cerebral blood flow and mental state after amphetamine challenge in schizophrenic patients. Neuropsychobiology. 1989;21:117–123.
59. Sanfilipo, M, Wolkin, A, Angrist, B, et al. Amphetamine and negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1996;123:211–214.
60. Goldberg, T, Bigelow, LB, Weinberger, DR, Daniel, DG, Kleinman, JE. Cognitive and behavioral effects of the coadministration of dextroamphetamine and haloperidol in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148:78–84.
61. Daniel, DG, Weinberger, DR, Jones, DW, et al. The effect of amphetamine on regional cerebral blood flow during cognitive activation in schizophrenia. J Neurosci. 1991;ll:1907–1917.
62. Casey, JF, Hollister, LE, Klett, CJ, Lasky, JJ, Caffey, EM. Combined drug therapy of chronic schizophrenics: controlled evaluation of placebo, dextro-amphetamine, imiprarnine, isocarboxazid and trifluoperazine added to maintenance doses of chlorpromazine. Am J Psychiatry. 1961;117:997–1003.
63. Carpenter, WTJ, Breier, A, Buchanan, RW, Kirkpatrick, B, Shepard, P, Weiner, E. Mazindol treatment of negative symptoms. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2000;23:365–374.
64. Levin, ED, Wilson, W, Rose, JE, McEvoy, J. Nicotine-haloperidol interactions and cognitive performance in schizophrenics. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1996;15:429–436.
65. Adler, LA, Hoffer, LD, Wiser, A, Freedman, R. Normalization of auditory physiology by cigarette smoking in schizophrenic patients. Am J Psychiatry. 1993;150:1856–1861.
66. Olincy, A, Ross, R, Young, D, Roath, M, Freedman, R. Improvement in smooth pursuit eye movement after cigarette smoking in schizophrenic patients. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1998;18:175–185.
67. Adler, LE, Hoffer, LJ, Griffith, J, Waldo, MC, Freedman, R. Normalization by nicotine of deficient auditory sensory gating in the relatives of schizophrenics. Biol Psychiatry. 1992;32:607–616.
68. Goff, DC, Coyle, JT. The emerging role of glutamate in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:1367–1377.
69. Krystal, JH, Karper, LP, Seibyl, JP, et al. Subanesthetie effects of the non-competitive NMDA antagonist, ketamine, in humans: psychotomimetic, perceptual, cognitive, and neuroendocrine responses. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994;51:199–214.
70. Lahti, AC, Koffel, B, LaPorte, D, Tamminga, CA. Subanesthetic doses of ketamine stimulate psychosis in schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1995;13:9–19.
71. Malhotra, A, Pinals, D, Adler, C, et al. Ketamine-induced exacerbation of psychotic symptoms and cognitive impairment in neuroleptic-free schizophrenics. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1997;17:141–150.
72. Lawlor, BA, Davis, KL. Does modulation of glutamatergic function represent a viable therapeutic strategy in Alzheimer's disease? Biol Psychiatry. 1992;31:337–350.
73. Javitt, DC, Zylberman, I, Zukin, SR, Heresco, LU, Lindenmayer, JP. Amelioration of negative symptoms in schizophrenia by glycine. Am J Psychiatry. 1994;151:1234–1236.
74. Heresco-Levy, U, Javitt, D, Ermilov, M, et al. Efficacy of high-dose glycine in the treatment of enduring negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:29–36.
75. Javitt, DC, Balla, A, Sershen, H, Lajtha, A. Reversal of the behavioral and neurochemical effects of phencyclidine by glycine and glycine transport inhibitors. Biol Psychiatry. 1999;45:668–679.
76. Henderson, G, Johnson, JW, Ascher, P. Competitive antagonists and partial agonists at the glycine modulatory site of the mouse N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor. J Physiol. 1990;430:189–212.
77. Goff, D, Tsai, G, Levitt, J, et al. A placebo-controlled trial of D-cycloserine added to conventional neuroleptics in patients with schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:21–27.
78. Tsai, G, Yang, P, Chung, L-C, Lange, N, Coyle, J. D-serine added to antipsychotics for the treatment of schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 1998;44:1081–1089.
79. Goff, D, Henderson, D, Evins, A, Amico, E. A placebo-controlled crossover trial of D-cycloserine added to clozapine in patients with schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 1999;45:512–514.
80. Potkin, S, Jin, Y, Bunney, B, Costa, J, Gulasekaram, B. Effect of clozapine and adjunctive high-dose glycine in treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 1999;156:145–147.
81. Evins, A, Fitzgerald, S, Wine, L, Roselli, R, Goff, D. A placebo-controlled trial of glycine added to clozapine in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157:826–828.
82. Tsai, G, Yang, P, Chung, LC, et al. D-serine added to clozapine for the treatment of schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 1999:156:1822–1825.
83. Stern, RG, Schmeidler, J, Davidson, M. Limitations of controlled augmentation trials in schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 1997;42:138–143.