1. Murphy, TWG, Smith, JH, Ranger, MRB, Haynes, SR. General anesthesia for children with severe heart failure. Pediatr Cardiol 2011; 32: 139–144.
2. Saiki, H, Sugimoto, M, Kuwata, S, et al. Novel mechanisms for cerebral blood flow regulation in patients with congenital heart disease. Am Heart J 2016; 172: 152–159.
3. Nishisaki, A, Turner, SA, Brown, CA 3rd, et al. A National Emergency Airway Registry for children: landscape of tracheal intubation in 15 PICUs. Crit Care Med 2013; 41: 874–885.
4. Guillemaud, JP, El-Hakim, H, Richards, S, Chauhan, N. Airway pathologic abnormalities in symptomatic children with congenital cardiac and vascular disease. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 133: 672–676.
5. Lee, AL, Cheung, YF, Leung, MP, Ng, YK, Tsoi, NS. Airway obstruction in children with congenital heart disease: Assessment by flexible bronchoscopy. Pediatr Pulmonol 2002; 34: 304–311.
6. Wang, C-C, Chen, S-J, Wu, E-T, et al. Lower airway anomalies in children with CATCH 22 syndrome and congenital heart disease. Pediatr Pulmonol 2013; 48: 587–591.
7. Sanders, RC Jr, Giuliano, JS Jr, Sullivan, JE, et al. Level of trainee and tracheal intubation outcomes. Pediatrics 2013; 131: e821–e828.
8. Graciano, AL, Tamburro, R, Thompson, AE, Fiadjoe, J, Nadkarni, VM, Nishisaki, A. Incidence and associated factors of difficult tracheal intubations in pediatric ICUs: a report from National Emergency Airway Registry for Children: NEAR4KIDS. Intensive Care Med 2014; 40: 1659–1669.
9. Tarquino, KM, Howell, JD, Montgomery, V, et al. Current medication practice and tracheal intubation safety outcomes from a prospective multicenter observational cohort study. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2015; 16: 210–218.
10. Hickey, PR, Hansen, DD, Wessel, DL, Lang, P, Jonas, RA. Pulmonary and systemic hemodynamic responses to fentanyl in infants. Anesth Analg 1985; 64: 483–486.
11. Cordina, RL, Celermajer, DS. Chronic cyanosis and vascular function: implications for patients with cyanotic congenital heart disease. Cardiol Young 2010; 20: 242–253.
12. Kipps, AK, Ramamoorthy, C, Rosenthal, DN, Williams, GD. Children with cardiomyopathy: complications after noncardiac procedures with general anesthesia. Paediatr Anaesth 2007; 17: 775–781.
13. Lee, Y-S, Jeng, M-J, Tsao, P-C, Soong, W-J, Chou, P. Prognosis and risk factors for congenital airway anomalies in children with congenital heart disease: a nationwide population-based study in Taiwan. PLoS One 2015; 10: e0137437.
14. Anderson, LW, Vognsen, M, Topjian, A, et al. Pediatric in-hospital acute respiratory compromise: a report from the American Heart Association’s Get with the Guidelines Resuscitation Registry. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; 18: 838–849.
15. Bronicki, RA, Penny, DJ, Anas, NG, Fuhrman, B. Cardiopulmonary interactions. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2016; 17: S182–S193.
16. Marik, PE, Cavallazzi, R, Vasu, T, Hirani, A. Dynamic changes in arterial waveform derived variables and fluid responsiveness in mechanically ventilated patients: a systematic review of the literature. Crit Care Med 2009; 37: 2642–2647.
17. Monnet, X, Teboul, JL, Richard, C. Cardiopulmonary interactions in patients with heart failure. Curr Opin Crit Care 2007; 13: 6–11.
18. Zgleszewski, SE, Graham, DA, Hickey, PR, et al. Anesthesiologist- and systems-related risk factors for risk-adjusted pediatric anesthesia-related cardiac arrest. Anesth Analog 2016; 122: 482–489.
19. Morris, MC, Wernovsky, G, Nadkarni, VM. Survival outcomes after extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation instituted during active chest compressions following refractory in-hospital pediatric cardiac arrest. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2004; 5: 440–446.
20. Pfammatter, J-P, Casualta, C, Pavlovic, M, Berdat, PA, Frey, U, Carrel, T. Important excess morbidity due to upper airway anomalies in the perioperative course in infant cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 81: 1008–1012.
21. Gradidge, EA, Bakar, A, Tellez, D, et al. Effect of location on tracheal intubation safety in cardiac disease – are cardiac ICUs safer? Pediatr Crit Care Med 2018; 19: 218–227.
22. Czaja, AS, Scanlon, MC, Kuhn, EM, Jeffries, HE. Performance of the pediatric index of mortality 2 for pediatric cardiac surgery patients. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011; 12: 184–189.
23. Slater, A, Shann, F, , Pearson G for the PIM2 Study Group. PIM2: a revised version of the Paediatric Index of Mortality. Intensive Care Med 2003; 29: 278–285.
24. Jenkins, KJ, Gauvreau, K, Newburger, JW, et al. Consensus-based method for risk adjustment for surgery for congenital heart disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002; 123: 110–118.
25. Parker, M, Nuthall, G, Brown, C III, et al. Relationship between adverse tracheal intubation associated events and pediatric ICU outcomes. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; 18: 310–318.