1. Kirk, R, Dipchand, AI, Rosenthal, DN, et al. The international Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation Guidelines for the management of pediatric heart failure: Executive summary. J Heart Lung Transplant 2014; 33: 888–909.
2. Rosenthal, D, Chrisant, M, Edens, E, et al. International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation: Practice guidelines for management of heart failure in children. J Heart Lung Transpl 2004; 23: 1313–1333.
3. Lipshultz, SE, Sleeper, LA, Towbin, JA, et al. The incidence of pediatric cardiomyopathy in two regions of the United States. N Engl J Med 2003; 24: 1647–1655.
4. Nugent, AW, Daubeney, PE, Chondros, P, et al. The epidemiology of childhood cardiomyopathy in Australia. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 1639–1646.
5. Andrew, RE, Fenton, MJ, Ridout, DA, Burch, M. New-onset heart failure due to heart muscle disease in childhood: a prospective study in United Kingdom and Ireland. Circulation 2008; 117: 79–84.
6. Dipchand, AI, Kirk, R, Edwards, LB, et al. The Registry of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation: Sixteenth Official Pediatric Heart Transplantation Report-2013; focus theme: age. J Heart Lung Transpl 2013; 32: 979–988.
7. Rossano, JW, Shaddy, RE. Heart failure in children: etiology and treatment. J Pediatr 2014; 165: 228–233.
8. Sipido, KR, Eisner, D. Something old, something new: changing views on the cellular mechanism of heart failure. Cardiovasc Research 2005; 68: 167–174.
9. Scoote, M, Poole-Wilson, PA, Williams, AJ. The therapeutic potential of new insights into myocardial excitation-contraction coupling. Heart 2003; 89: 371–376.
10. Kantor, PF, Lougheed, J, Dancea, A, et al. Presentation, diagnosis, and medical management of heart failure in children: Canadian Cardiovascular Society guidelines. Can J Cardiol 2013; 29: 1535–1552.
11. Krum, H, Shi, H, Pitt, B, et al. Clinical benefit of eplerenone in patients with mild symptoms of systolic heart failure already receiving optimal best practice background drug therapy; analysis of the EMPHASIS-HF study. Circ Heart Fail 2013; 6: 711–718.
12. Das, BB, Solinger, R. Role of natriuretic peptide family in cardiovascular medicine. Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem 2009; 7: 29–42.
13. Nagaya, N, Satoh, T, Nishikimi, T, et al. Hemodynamic, renal, and hormonal effects of adrenomedullin infusion in patients with congestive heart failure. Circulation 2000; 101: 498–503.
14. Knecht, M, Pagel, I, Langenickel, T, et al. Increased expression of neural neutral endopeptidase in severe heart failure. Life Sci 2002; 71: 2701–2712.
15. Braunwald, E. The path to an angiotensin receptor antagonist-neprilysin inhibitor in the treatment of heart failure. J Am Col Card 2015; 65: 1029–1041.
16. Goldsmith, S. Interactions between the sympathetic nervous system and the RAAS in heart failure. Curr Heart Fail Rep 2004; 1: 45–50.
17. Packer, M, Califf, RM, Konstam, MA, et al. Comparison of Omapatrilat versus Enalapril randomized trial of utility in reducing events (OVERTURE). Circulation 2002; 106: 920–926.
18. Cohn, JN, Tognoni, G, Valsartan Heart Failure Trial Investigators. A randomized trial of the angiotensin-receptor blocker valsartan in chronic heart failure. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1667–1675.
19. McMurray, JV, Packer, M, Desai, AD, et al. Angiotensin-Neprilysin inhibition versus enalapril in heart failure. N Engl J Med 2014; 371: 993–1004.
20. Desai, AS, McMurray, JJV, Milton, P, et al. Effects of the angiotensin-receptor-neprilysin inhibitor LCZ696 compared with enalapril on mode of death in heart failure patients. Eur Heart J 2015; 36: 1990–1997.
21. Patel, MD, Mohan, J, Schneider, C, et al. Pediatric and adult dilated cardiomyopathy represent distinct pathological entities. JCI Insight 2017; July 20: 2: 94382.
22. Miyamoto, SD, Stauffer, BL, Nakuno, S, et al. Beta-adrenergic adaptation in pediatric idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 2012; 35: 1–9.
23. Nakano, SJ, Sucharov, J, van Dusen, R, et al. Cardiac adenylyl cyclase and phosphodiesterase expression profiles vary by age, disease, and chronic phosphodiesterase inhibitor treatment. J card fail 2017; 23: 72–80.
24. Shaddy, RE, Boucek, MM, Hsu, DT, et al. Carvedilol for children and adolescent with heart failure: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Med Assoc 2007; 298: 1171–1179.
25. Almond, CSD, Thiagrajan, RR, Piercey, GE, et al. Waiting list mortality among children listed for heart transplantation in children in the United States. Circulation 2009; 5: 717–727.
26. International Society of Heart and Lung Registry Data. J Heart Lung Transplant 2017; 36: 1037–1079.
27. Packer, M, McMurray, JJV, Desai, AS, et al. Angiotensin receptor neprilysin inhibition compared with enalapril on the risk of clinical progression in surviving patients with heart failure. Circulation 2015; 131: 54–61.
28. Solomon, SD, Rizkala, AR, Gong, J, et al. Angiotensin receptor neprilysin inhibition in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: rationale and design of the PARAGON-HF trial. JACC Heart Fail 2017; 7: 471–482.
29. Ruilope, LM, Dukat, A, Bohm, M, et al. Blood-pressure reduction with LCZ696, a novel dual acting inhibitor of the angiotensin II receptor and neprilysin: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, active comparator study. Lancet 2010; 375: 1255–1266.
30. Ponikowski, P, Voors, A, Anker, S, et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2016; 74: 891–975.
31. Yancy, C, Jessup, M, Bozkurt, B, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/HSFA focused update on new pharmacological therapy for heart failure: an update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA guidelines for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; 23: 776–803.
32. Shaddy, R, Canter, C, Halnon, N, et al. Design for the sacubitril/valsartan (LCZ696) compared with enalapril study of pediatric patients with heart failure due to systemic left heart ventricle systolic dysfunction. Am Heart J 2017; 193: 23–34.