1. Lisa, CH, Scott, WA, Zellers, TM, et al. Aspirin resistance in children with heart disease at risk for thromboembolism: prevalence and possible mechanisms. Pediatr Cardiol 2008; 29: 285–291.
2. Yee, DL, Dinu, BR, Sun, CW, et al. Low prevalence and assay discordance of “aspirin resistance” in children. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2008; 51: 86–89.
3. Mir, A, Frank, S, Journeycake, J, et al. Aspirin resistance in single-ventricle physiology: aspirin prophylaxis is not adequate to inhibit platelets in the immediate postoperative period. Ann Thorac Surg 2015; 99: 2158–2164.
4. Adatia, MRCP, Barrow, SE, Stratton, PD, Miall-Allen, VM, Ritter, JM, Haworth, SG. Thromoboxane A2 and prostacyclin biosynthesis in children and adolescents with pulmonary vascular disease. Circulation 1993; 88: 2117–2122.
5. Lordkipanidzé, M, Pharand, C, Schampaert, E, Turgeon, J, Palisaitis, DA, Diodati, JG. A comparison of six major platelet function tests to determine the prevalence of aspirin resistance in patients with stable coronary artery disease. Eur Heart J 2010; 28: 1702–1708.
6. Cattaneo, M. The clinical relevance of response variability to antiplatelet therapy. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2011; 2011: 70–75.
7. Gasparyan, AY, Watson, T, Lip, GY. The role of aspirin in cardiovascular prevention: implications of aspirin resistance. J Am Col Cardiol 2008; 51: 1829–1843.
8. Eikelboom, JW, Hankey, GJ, Thom, J, et al. Incomplete inhibition of thromboxane biosynthesis by acetylsalicylic acid; determinants and effect on cardiovascular risk. Circulation 2008; 118: 1705–1712.
9. Schmugge, M, Speer, O, Kroiss, S, et al. Monitoring aspirin therapy in children after interventional cardiac catheterization: laboratory measures, dose response, and clinical outcome. Eur J Pediatr 2015; 174: 933–941.
10. Tran, HA, Anand, SS, Hankey, GJ, Eikelboom, JW. Aspirin resistance. Thromb Res 2007; 120: 337–346.
11. Emani, S, Trainor, B, Zurakowski, D, Bair, C, Fynn-Thompson, F, Pigula, FA, Emani, A. Aspirin unresponsiveness predicts thrombosis in high-risk pediatric patients after cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 148: 810–814; discussion 814–16.
12. Long, E, Pitfield, AF, Kissoon, N. Anticoagulation therapy; indications, monitoring and complication. Pediatr Emerg Care 2011; 27: 55–61; quiz 62–64.
13. Monagle, P, Chan, AK, Goldenberg, NA, et al. Antithrombotic therapy in neonates and children: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physician Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Arch Dis Child 2004; 89: 1168–1173.
14. Thon, KE, Hanslik, A, Male, C. Anticoagulation in children undergoing cardiac surgery. Semin Thromb Hemost 2011; 37: 826–833.
15. Nalyaka, S, Radhakrishnan, A, Englyst, N, Weir, N, Curzen, N. Aspirin resistance in ischemic stroke: insights using short thrombelastography. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2013; 22: 1412–1419.
16. Kroll, M. Thromboelastography: theory and practice in measuring hemostasis. Clin Lab News 2010; 36: 8–10.
17. Swallow, RA, Agarwala, RA, Dawkins, KD, et al. Thromboelastography: potential bedside tool to assess the effects of antiplatelet therapy? Platelets 2006; 17: 385–392.
18. Hobson, AR, Petley, GW, Dawkins, KD, Curzen, N. A novel fifteen minute test for the assessment of individual time-dependent clotting response to aspirin and clopidogrel using modified thromboelastography. Platelets 2007; 18: 497–505.
19. Idorn, L, Jensen, AS, Juul, K, Reimers, JI, et al. Thromboembolic complications in Fontan patients: population-based prevalence and exploration of the etiology. Pediatr Cardiol 2013; 34: 262–272.
20. Wessel, DL, Berger, F, Li, JS, et al. Clopidogrel in infants with systemic-to-pulmonary-artery shunts. N Engl J Med 2013; 368: 2377–2384.
21. Iyengar, AJ, Winlaw, DS, Galati, JC, et al. No difference between aspirin and warfarin after extracardiac Fontan in a propensity score analysis of 475 patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 50: 980–987.
22. Schneider, GS, Rockman, CB, Berger, JS. Platelet activation increases in patients undergoing vascular surgery. Thromb Res 2014; 134: 925–926.
23. Romlin, BS, Wahlander, H, Stromvall-Larsson, E, Synnergen, M, Baghaei, F, Jeppson, A. Monitoring of acetyl salicylic acid-induced platelet inhibition with impedance aggregometry in children with systemic-to-pulmonary shunts. Cardiol Young 2013; 23: 225–232.
24. Szczeklik, W, Stodolkiewicz, E, Rzeszutko, M, Tomala, M, Chrustowicz Am Zmudka, K, Sanak, M. Urinary 11-dehydro-thromboxane B2 as a predictor of acute myocardial infarction outcomes: results of Leukotrienes and Thromboxane in Myocardial Infarction (LTIMI) study. J Am Heart Assoc 2016; 5: e003702.
25. Saini, A, Hartman, ME, Gage, BF, et al. Incidence of platelet dysfunction by thromboelastography-platelet mapping in children supported with ECMO: a pilot retrospective study. Front Pediatr 2016; 3: 1–8.
26. Nelles, NJ, Chandler, WL. Platelet mapping assay interference due to platelet activation in heparinized samples. Am J Clin Pathol 2014; 142: 331–338.
27. Lison, S, Weiss, G, Spannagl, M, Heindl, B. Postoperative changes in procoagulant factors after major surgery. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2011; 22: 190–196.
28. Odendard, KC, McGowan, FX, Zurakowski, D, et al. Procoagulant and anticoagulant factor abnormalities following the Fontan procedure: increased factor VIII may predispose to thrombosis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 125: 1260–1267.
29. Tomkiewicz-Pajak, L, Hoffman, P, Trojnarska, O, Lipcznska, M, Podolec, P, Undas, A. Abnormalities in blood coagulation, fibrinolysis, and platelet activation in adult patients after the Fontan procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 147: 1284–1289.
30. Yip, C, Linden, M, Attard, C, Monagle, P, Ignjatovic, V. Platelets from children are hyper-responsive to activation by thrombin receptor activator peptide and adenosine diphosphate compared to platelets from adults. Br J Hematol 2015; 168: 526–532.
31. Wagener, DD, Olmsted, JB, Marder, VJ. Immunolocalization of von Willebrand protein in Weibel-Palade bodies of human endothelial cells. J Cell Biol 1982; 95: 355–360.