1. Neill, CA, Clark, EB. Helen Brooke Taussig MD 24 May 1898 to 21 May 1986. Cardiol Young 1999; 9: 104–108.
2. Teare, D. Asymmetrical hypertrophy of the heart in young adults. Br Heart J 1958; 20: 1–8.
3. Somerville, J. Aorto-pulmonary septal defect: 5 cases treated by operation. Guy’s Hospital Reports 1959; 108: 177–193.
4. Somerville, J. Clinical assessment of the function of the mitral valve in atrioventricular defects related to the anatomy. Am Heart J 1966; 71: 701–711.
5. Baker, C, Somerville, J. Results of surgical treatment of aortic stenosis. Brit Med J 1964; I: 197–205.
6. Ross, DN, Somerville, J. Correction of pulmonary atresia with a homograft aortic valve. Lancet 1966; 2: 1446–1447.
7. Gonzalez-Lavin, L, Geens, M, Somerville, J, Ross, DN. Autologous pulmonary valve replacement of the diseased aortic valve. Circulation 1970; 42: 781–785.
8. Ross, D, Rickards, A, Somerville, J. Transposition of the great arteries: logical anatomical arterial correction. Brit Med J 1976; 1: 1109–1111.
9. Somerville, J, Saravalli, O, Ross, D. Complex pulmonary atresia with congenital systemic collaterals; classification and management. Arch Malad Couer 1978; 71: 322–328.
10. Somerville, J. Congenital heart disease – changes in form and function. Brit Heart J 1979; 41: 1–22.
11. Becu, L, Somerville, J, Gallo, A. “Isolated” pulmonary valve stenosis as part of more widespread cardiovascular disease. Brit Heart J 1976; 38: 472–482.
12. Niwa, K, Perloff, JK, Bhuta, SM, et al. Structural abnormalities of great arterial walls in congenital heart disease: light and electron microscopic analyses. Circulation 2001; 103: 393–400.
13. Somerville, J. Ostium primum defect: factors causing deterioration in the natural history. Br Heart J 1965; 27: 413–419.
14. Somerville, J, Jefferson, K. Left ventricular angiocardiography in atrioventricular defects. Br Heart J 1968; 30: 446–457.
15. Emanuel, R, Nichols, J, Anders, J, Moores, E, Somerville, J. Atrioventricular defects – a study of 92 families. Br Heart J 1968; 30: 645–653.
16. Somerville, J, Yacoub, M, Ross, DN, Ross, K. Aorta to right pulmonary artery anastomosis (Waterston’s operation) for cyanotic heart disease. Circulation 1969; 39: 593–602.
17. Somerville, J. Management of pulmonary atresia. Br Heart J 1970; 32: 641–651.
18. Ross, D, Somerville, J. Surgical correction of Ebstein’s anomaly. Lancet 1970; 2: 280–284.
19. Somerville, J, Ross, D. Long-term results of complete correction with homograft reconstruction in pulmonary outflow tract atresia. Br Heart J 1972; 34: 29–36.
20. Ross, D, Somerville, J. Surgical correction of tricuspid atresia. Lancet 1973; 1: 845–849.
21. Emanuel, R, O’Brien, K, Somerville, J, Jefferson, K, Hegde, M. Association of secundum atrial septal defect with abnormalities of atrioventricular conduction or left axis deviation. Genetic study of 10 families. Br Heart J 1975; 37: 1085–1092.
22. Somerville, J, Becu, L. Congenital heart disease associated with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Br Heart J 1978; 40: 1034–1039.
23. Ng, R, Somerville, J, Ross, D. Ebstein’s anomaly: late results of surgical correction. Eur J Cardiol 1979; 9: 39–52.
24. Somerville, J, Stone, S, Ross, D. Fate of patients with fixed subaortic stenosis after surgical removal. Br Heart J 1980; 43: 629–647.
25. Smallhorn, J, de Leval, M, Stark, J, et al. Isolated anterior mitral cleft. Two dimensional echocardiographic assessment and differentiation from “clefts” associated with atrioventricular septal defect. Br Heart J 1982; 48: 109–116.
26. Emanuel, R, Somerville, J, Inns, A, Withers, R. Evidence of congenital heart disease in the offspring of parents with atrioventricular defects. Br Heart J 1983; 49: 144–147.
27. Capelli, H, Andrade, J, Somerville, J. Classification of the site of ventricular septal defect by 2-Dimensional echocardiography. Am J Cardiol 1983; 51: 1474–1480.
28. Colli, AM, de Leval, M, Somerville, J. Anatomically corrected malposition of the great arteries: diagnostic difficulties and surgical repair of associated lesions. Am J Cardiol 1985; 55: 1367–1372.
29. Somerville, J. Fixed subaortic stenosis – a frequently misunderstood lesion. Int J Cardiol 1985; 8: 145–148.
30. Warnes, CA, Somerville, J. Tricuspid atresia in adolescents and adults: current state and late complications. Br Heart J 1986; 56: 535–543.
31. Warnes, CA, Somerville, J. Transposition of the great arteries: late results in adolescents and adults after the Mustard procedure. Br Heart J 1987; 58: 148–155.
32. Lundstrom, U, Bull, C, Wyse, RKH, Somerville, J. The natural and “unnatural” history of congenitally corrected transposition. Am J Cardiol 1990; 65: 1222–1229.
33. Peters, N, Somerville, J. Arrhythmias after the Fontan procedure. Br Heart J 1992; 68: 199–204.
34. Presbitero, P, Somerville, J, Stone, S, Aruta, E, Spiegelhalter, D, Rabajoli, F. Pregnancy in cyanotic congenital heart disease. Outcome of mother and foetus. Circulation 1994; 89: 2673–2676.
35. Presbitero, P, Somerville, J, Rabajoli, F, Stone, S, Conte, MR. Corrected transposition of the great arteries without associated defects in adult patients: clinical profile and follow-up. Br Heart J 1995; 74: 57–59.
36. Bull, K, Somerville, J, Ty, E, Spiegelhalter, D. Presentation and attrition in complex pulmonary atresia. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 25: 491–499.
37. Gatzoulis, MA, Redington, AN, Somerville, J, Shore, D. Should atrial septal defects in adults be closed? Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 61: 657–659.
38. Redington, A, Somerville, J. Stenting of aorto-pulmonary ollaterals in complex pulmonary atresia. Circulation 1996; 94: 2479–2484.
39. Chambers, JC, Somerville, J, Stone, S, Ross, DN. The pulmonary autograft procedure for aortic valve disease: long-term results of the pioneer series. Circulation 1997; 96: 2206–2214.
40. Neumayer, U, Somerville, J. Outcome of pregnancies in patients with complex pulmonary atresia. Heart 1997; 78: 16–21.
41. Burn, J, Brennan, P, Little, J, et al. Recurrence risks in offspring of adults with major heart defects: results from first cohort of British collaborative study. Lancet 1998; 351: 311–316.