1. Cowie, MR, Mosterd, A, Wood, DA, et al. . The epidemiology of heart failure. Eur Heart J 1997; 18: 208–225.
2. Reis, SE, Holubkov, R, Edmundowicz, D, et al. . Treatment of patients admitted to the hospital with congestive heart failure: specialty-related disparities in practice patterns and outcomes. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997; 30: 733–738.
3. Hoch, M, Netz, H. Heart failure in children. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005; 53 (Suppl 2): S129–S134.
4. Kay, JD, Colan, SD, JrGraham, TP. Congestive heart failure in children. Am Heart J 2001; 142: 923–928.
5. Ferencz, C, Rubin, JD, McCarter, RJ, et al. . Congenital heart disease: prevalence at livebirth. The Baltimore-Washington Infant Study. Am J Epidemiol 1985; 121: 31–36.
6. Philbin, EF, DiSalvo, TG. Managed care for congestive heart failure: influence of payer status on process of care, resource utilization, and short-term outcomes. Am Heart J 1998; 136: 553–561.
7. Ciszewski, A, Bilinska, ZT, Lubiszewska, B, et al. . Dilated cardiomyopathy in children and adolescents. Diagnostic problems, clinical course and prognosis. Kardiol Pol 1991; 35: 354–359.
8. Kossovsky, MP, Sarasin, FP, Perneger, TV, Chopard, P, Sigaud, P, Gaspoz, J. Unplanned readmissions of patients with congestive heart failure: do they reflect in-hospital quality of care or patient characteristics? Am J Med 2000; 109: 386–390.
9. Tsutamoto, T, Wada, A, Maeda, K, et al. . Attenuation of compensation of endogenous cardiac natriuretic peptide system in chronic heart failure: prognostic role of plasma brain natriuretic peptide concentration in patients with chronic symptomatic left ventricular dysfunction. Circulation 1997; 96: 509–516.
10. Hama, N, Itoh, H, Shirakami, G, et al. . Rapid ventricular induction of brain natriuretic peptide gene expression in experimental acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 1995; 92: 1558–1564.
11. Maeda, K, Tsutamoto, T, Wada, A, et al. . High levels of plasma brain natriuretic peptide and interleukin-6 after optimized treatment for heart failure are independent risk factors for morbidity and mortality in patients with congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36: 1587–1593.
12. Muders, F, Kromer, EP, Griese, DP, et al. . Evaluation of plasma natriuretic peptides as markers for left ventricular dysfunction. Am Heart J 1997; 134: 442–449.
13. Yasue, H, Yoshimura, M, Sumida, H, et al. . Localization and mechanism of secretion of brain natriuretic peptide in comparison with those of A-type natriuretic peptide in normal subjects and patients with heart failure. Circulation 1994; 90: 195–203.
14. Cowley, CG, Bradley, JD, Shaddy, RE. Brain natriuretic peptide levels in congenital heart disease. Pediatr Cardiol 2004; 25: 336–340.
15. Sodian, R, Loebe, M, Schmitt, C, et al. . Decreased plasma concentration of brain natriuretic peptide as a potential indicator of cardiac recovery in patients supported by mechanical circulatory assist systems. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 38: 1942–1949.
16. Bettencourt, P, Frioes, F, Azevedo, A, et al. . Prognostic information provided by serial measurements of brain natriuretic peptide in heart failure. Int J Cardiol 2004; 93: 45–48.
17. Lubien, E, DeMaria, A, Krishnaswamy, P, et al. . Utility of B-natriuretic peptide in detecting diastolic dysfunction: comparison with Doppler velocity recordings. Circulation 2002; 105: 595–601.
18. Williams, SG, Ng, LL, O’Brien, RJ, Taylor, S, Li, YF, Tan, LB. Comparison of plasma N-brain natriuretic peptide, peak oxygen consumption, and left ventricular ejection fraction for severity of chronic heart failure. Am J Cardiol 2004; 93: 1560–1571.
19. Troughton, RW, Frampton, CM, Yandle, TG, Espiner, EA, Nicholls, MG, Richards, AM. Treatment of heart failure guided by plasma aminoterminal brain natriuretic peptide (N-BNP) concentrations. Lancet 2000; 355: 1126–1130.
20. Murdoch, DR, McDonagh, TA, Byrne, J, et al. . Titration of vasodilator therapy in chronic heart failure according to plasma brain natriuretic peptide concentration: randomized comparison of the hemodynamic and neuroendocrine effects of tailored versus empirical therapy. Am Heart J 1999; 138: 1126–1132.
21. Ross, RD, Bollinger, RO, Pinsky, WW. Grading the severity of congestive heart failure in infants. Pediatr Cardiol 1992; 13: 72–75.
22. Reithmann, C, Reber, D, Kozlik-Feldmann, R, et al. . A post-receptor defect of adenylyl cyclase in severely failing myocardium from children with congenital heart disease. Eur J Pharmacol 1997; 330: 79–86.
23. Laer, S, Mir, TS, Behn, F, et al. . Carvedilol therapy in children with congestive heart failure: a study investigating clinical and pharmacokinetic parameters. Am Heart J 2002; 143: 916–922.
24. Jefferies, JL, Chang, AC. The neurohormonal axis and biochemical markers of heart failure. Cardiol Young 2005; 15: 333–344.
25. Francis, GS, Benedict, C, Johnstone, DE, et al. . Comparison of neuroendocrine activation in patients with left ventricular dysfunction with and without congestive heart failure. A substudy of the Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction (SOLVD). Circulation 1990; 82: 1724–1729.
26. Remes, J, Tikkanen, I, Fyhrquist, F, Pyorala, K. Neuroendocrine activity in untreated heart failure. Br Heart J 1991; 65: 249–255.
27. Swedberg, K, Eneroth, P, Kjekshus, J, Wilhelmsen, L. Hormones regulating cardiovascular function in patients with severe congestive heart failure and their relation to mortality. CONSENSUS Trial Study Group. Circulation 1990; 82: 1730–1736.
28. Tsutamoto, T, Hisanaga, T, Fukai, D, et al. . Prognostic value of plasma soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and endothelin-1 concentration in patients with chronic congestive heart failure. Am J Cardiol 1995; 76: 803–808.
29. Murdoch, DR, Byrne, J, Morton, JJ, et al. . Brain natriuretic peptide is stable in whole blood and can be measured using a simple rapid assay: implications for clinical practice. Heart 1997; 78: 594–597.
30. Klinge, R, Hystad, M, Kjekshus, J, et al. . An experimental study of cardiac natriuretic peptides as markers of development of congestive heart failure. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1998; 58: 683–691.
31. Kazanegra, R, Cheng, V, Garcia, A, et al. . A rapid test for brain natriuretic peptide correlates with falling wedge pressures in patients treated for decompensated heart failure: a pilot study. J Card Fail 2001; 7: 21–29.
32. Johnson, W, Omland, T, Hall, C, et al. . Neurohormonal activation rapidly decreases after intravenous therapy with diuretics and vasodilators for class IV heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39: 1623–1629.
33. Cheng, V, Kazanagra, R, Garcia, A, et al. . A rapid bedside test for brain peptide predicts treatment outcomes in patients admitted for decompensated heart failure: a pilot study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 37: 386–391.
34. Bettencourt, P, Ferreira, S, Azevedo, A, Ferreira, A. Preliminary data on the potential usefulness of brain natriuretic peptide levels in predicting outcome after hospital discharge in patients with heart failure. Am J Med 2002; 113: 215–219.
35. Logeart, D, Thabut, G, Jourdain, P, et al. . Predischarge brain natriuretic peptide assay for identifying patients at high risk of re-admission after decompensated heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004; 43: 635–641.
36. Law, YM, Keller, BB, Feingold, BM, Boyle, GJ. Usefulness of plasma brain natriuretic peptide to identify ventricular dysfunction in pediatric and adult patients with congenital heart disease. Am J Cardiol 2005; 95: 474–478.
37. Maisel, AS, Krishnaswamy, P, Nowak, RM, et al. . Rapid measurement of brain natriuretic peptide in the emergency diagnosis of heart failure. N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 161–167.
38. Mir, TS, Marohn, S, Laer, S, Eiselt, M, Grollmus, O, Weil, J. Plasma concentrations of N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide in control children from the neonatal to adolescent period and in children with congestive heart failure. Pediatrics 2002; 110: e76.
39. Koch, A, Singer, H. Normal values of B type natriuretic peptide in infants, children, and adolescents. Heart 2003; 89: 875–878.
40. Miller, WL, JrBurnett, JC, Hartman, KA, Henle, MP, Burritt, MF, Jaffe, AS. Lower rather than higher levels of brain natriuretic peptides (NT-pro-BNP and BNP) predict short-term mortality in endstage heart failure patients treated with nesiritide. Am J Cardiol 2005; 96: 837–841.