1. Greenbaum, L. Micronutrient mineral deficiencies. In: Kliegman R, Stanton B, Behrman R, Geme J, Schor N, (eds) Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2011: 343–345.
2. Hoashi, T, Miyata, H, Murakami, A, et al. The current trends of mortality following congenital heart surgery: the Japan Congenital Cardiovascular Surgery Database. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2015; 21: 151–156.
3. Stoppe, C, Schälte, G, Rossaint, R, et al. The intraoperative decrease of selenium is associated with the postoperative development of multiorgan dysfunction in cardiac surgical patients. Crit Care Med 2011; 39: 1879–1885.
4. Holzer, R, Bockenkamp, B, Booker, P, Newland, P, Ciotti, G, Pozzi, M. The impact of cardiopulmonary bypass on selenium status, thyroid function, and oxidative defense in children. Pediatr Cardiol 2004; 25: 522–528.
5. Zanoni, LZ, Melnikov, P, Consolo, LC, et al. Zinc in children undergoing cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass. Arq Bras Cardiol 2008; 90: e48–e50.
6. Yan, YQ, Liu, XC, Jing, WB, et al. Alteration of plasma trace elements in patients undergoing open heart surgery. Biol Trace Elem Res 2013; 151: 344–349.
7. Lacour-Gayet, F, Clarke, D, Jacobs, J, et al. The Aristotle score: a complexity-adjusted method to evaluate surgical results. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2004; 25: 911–924.
8. Lacour-Gayet, F, Clarke, D, Jacobs, J, et al. The Aristotle score for congenital heart surgery. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2004; 7: 185–191.
9. O’Brien, SM, Clarke, DR, Jacobs, JP, et al. An empirically based tool for analyzing mortality associated with congenital heart surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009; 138: 1139–1153.
10. Jenkins, KJ. Risk adjustment for congenital heart surgery: the RACHS-1 method. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2004; 7: 180–184.
11. Hegazi, MA. The trace elements in congenital cyanotic heart disease. Egypt Heart J 2014; 66: 25.
12. Litwack, G. Growth factors and cytokines. In: G. Litwack, (ed.) Human Biochemistry and Disease. Elsevier Academic Press, Pennsylvania, USA, 2008: 587–683.
13. Melnikov, P, Zanoni, LZ, Poppi, NR. Copper and ceruloplasmin in children undergoing heart surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass. Biol Trace Elem Res 2009; 129: 99–106.
14. McDonald, CI, Fung, YL, Fraser, JF. Antioxidant trace element reduction in an in vitro cardiopulmonary bypass circuit. ASAIO J 2012; 58: 217–222.
15. Zamparelli, R, Carelli, G, Pennisi, MA, et al. Zinc and copper metabolism during open-heart surgery. Scand J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1986; 20: 241–245.
16. Davis, CM, Vincent, JB. Chromium oligopeptide activates insulin receptor tyrosine kinase activity. Biochemistry 1997; 36: 4382–4385.
17. Rabinowitz, MB, Gonick, HC, Levin, SR, Davidson, MB. Effects of chromium and yeast supplements on carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in diabetic men. Diabetes Care 1983; 6: 319–327.
18. Tapiero, H, Townsend, DM, Tew, KD. The antioxidant role of selenium and seleno-compounds. Biomed Pharmacother 2003; 57: 134–144.
19. Rayman, MP. The importance of selenium to human health. Lancet 2000; 356: 233–241.
20. Forceville, X, Vitoux, D, Gauzit, R, Combes, A, Lahilaire, P, Chappuis, P. Selenium, systemic immune response syndrome, sepsis, and outcome in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 1998; 26: 1536–1544.
21. Manzanares, W, Biestro, A, Torre, MH, Galusso, F, Facchin, G, Hardy, G. High-dose selenium reduces ventilator-associated pneumonia and illness severity in critically ill patients with systemic inflammation. Intensive Care Med 2011; 37: 1120–1127.
22. Al-Bader, A, Christenson, JT, Simonet, F, Abul, H, Dashti, H, Schmuziger, M. Inflammatory response and oligo-element alterations following cardiopulmonary bypass in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 6: 406–414.
23. Kessissoglou, DP. Manganese proteins and enzymes and relevant trinuclear synthetic complexes. Bioinorg Chem 1995; 459: 299–320.
24. Powell, SR. The antioxidant properties of zinc. J Nutr 2000; 130: 1447–1454.
25. Ghaemian, A, Salehifar, E, Jalalian, R, et al. Zinc and copper levels in severe heart failure and the effects of atrial fibrillation on the zinc and copper status. Biol Trace Elem Res 2011; 143: 1239–1246.
26. Archer, SL. Mitochondrial dynamics-mitochondrial fission and fusion in human diseases. N Engl J Med 2013; 369: 2236–2251.
27. Chakraborti, S, Chakraborti, T, Mandal, M, Mandal, A, Das, S, Ghosh, S. Protective role of magnesium in cardiovascular diseases: a review. Mol Cell Biochem 2002; 238: 163–179.
28. Noronha, JL, Matuschak, GM. Magnesium in critical illness: metabolism, assessment, and treatment. Intensive Care Med 2002; 28: 667–679.
29. Ying, S-Q, Fang, L, Xiang, M-X, Xu, G, Shan, J, Wang, J-A. Protective effects of magnesium against ischaemia-reperfusion injury through inhibition of P-selectin in rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2007; 34: 1234–1239.
30. Manrique, AM, Arroyo, M, Lin, Y, et al. Magnesium supplementation during cardiopulmonary bypass to prevent junctional ectopic tachycardia after pediatric cardiac surgery: a randomized controlled study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 139: 162–169.
31. Singh, RB, Manmohan, MD, Dube, KP, Singh, VP. Serum magnesium concentrations in atrial fibrillation. Acta Cardiol 1976; 31: 221–226.
32. DeCarli, C, Sprouse, G, LaRosa, JC. Serum magnesium levels in symptomatic atrial fibrillation and their relation to rhythm control by intravenous digoxin. Am J Cardiol 1986; 57: 956–959.
33. Matte, GS. Equipment for bypass. In Matte GS, (ed.) Perfusion for Congenital Heart Surgery: Notes on Cardiopulmonary Bypass for a Complex Patient Population. New Jersey, USA: John Wiley & Sons Inc. 2015: 1–27.
34. Jönsson, H, Johnsson, P, Bäckström, M, Alling, C, Dautovic-Bergh, C, Blomquist, S. Controversial significance of early S100B levels after cardiac surgery. BMC Neurol 2004; 4: 24.
35. Churchwell, MD, Pasko, DA, Btaiche, IF, Jain, JC, Mueller, BA. Trace element removal during in vitro and in vivo continuous haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2007; 22: 2970–2977.
36. Taggart, DP, Fraser, WD, Shenkin, A, Wheatley, DJ, Fell, GS. The effects of intraoperative hypothermia and cardiopulmonary bypass on trace metals and their protein binding ratios. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1990; 4: 587–594.