1. Gaies, M, Cooper, DS, Tabbutt, S, et al. Collaborative quality improvement in the cardiac intensive care unit: development of the Paediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium (PC4). Cardiol Young 2015; 25: 951–957.
2. Kugler, JD, Beekman Iii, RH, Rosenthal, GL, et al. Development of a pediatric cardiology quality improvement collaborative: from inception to implementation. From the Joint Council on Congenital Heart Disease Quality Improvement Task Force. Congenit Heart Dis 2009; 4: 318–328.
3. Mahle, WT, Nicolson, SC, Hollenbeck-Pringle, D, et al. Utilizing a collaborative learning model to promote early extubation following infant heart surgery. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2016; 17: 939–947.10.1097/PCC.0000000000000918
4. Martin, GR, Beekman, RH, Ing, FF, et al. The IMPACT registry: IMproving Pediatric and Adult Congenital Treatments. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Cardiac Surg Annu 2010; 13: 20–25.
5. Pasquali, SK, Jacobs, ML, Jacobs, JP. Linking databases. In: Barach PR, Jacobs JP, Lipshultz SE, Laussen PC (eds). Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Care: Volume 1: Outcomes Analysis. Springer, 2015: 395–399.
6. Vener, DF, Guzzetta, N, Jacobs, JP, Williams, GD. Development and implementation of a new data registry in congenital cardiac anesthesia. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94: 2159–2165.
7. Olsen, L, Aisner, D, McGinnis, JM, Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Roundtable on Evidence-Based Medicine. The Learning Healthcare System: Workshop Summary. National Academies Press, Washington, DC, 2007.
8. Anderson, JB, Beekman, RH 3rd, Kugler, JD, et al. Use of a learning network to improve variation in interstage weight gain after the Norwood operation. Congenit Heart Dis 2014; 9: 512–520.10.1111/chd.12232
9. Ohye, RG, Sleeper, LA, Mahony, L, et al. Comparison of shunt types in the Norwood procedure for single-ventricle lesions. N Engl J Med 2010; 362: 1980–1992.10.1056/NEJMoa0912461
10. Pasquali, SK, Jacobs, JP, Farber, GK, et al. Report of the national heart, lung, and blood institute working group: an integrated network for congenital heart disease research. Circulation 2016; 133: 1410–1418.
11. Merelli, I, Perez-Sanchez, H, Gesing, S, D’Agostino, D. Managing, analysing, and integrating big data in medical bioinformatics: open problems and future perspectives. Biomed Res Int 2014; 2014: 134023.10.1155/2014/134023
12. Jagadish, HV, Gehrke, J, Labrinidis, A, et al. Big data and its technical challenges. Commun ACM 2014; 57: 86–94.
13. Murdoch, TB, Detsky, AS. The inevitable application of big data to health care. JAMA 2013; 309: 1351–1352.10.1001/jama.2013.393
14. Bates, DW, Saria, S, Ohno-Machado, L, Shah, A, Escobar, G. Big data in health care: Using analytics to identify and manage high-risk and high-cost patients. Health Affairs 2014; 33: 1123–1131.
15. Cuzzocrea, A, Song, IY, Davis, KC. Analytics over large-scale multidimensional data: The big data revolution. International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Proceedings, 2011: 101–103.
16. Franklin, RC, Jacobs, JP, Krogmann, ON, et al. Nomenclature for congenital and paediatric cardiac disease: historical perspectives and the international pediatric and congenital cardiac code. Cardiol Young 2008; 18 (Suppl 2): 70–80.
17. Jacobs, JP. Introduction: databases and the assessment of complications associated with the treatment of patients with congenital cardiac disease. Cardiol Young 2008; 18 (Suppl 2): 1–37.
18. Pasquali, SK, Jacobs, JP, Shook, GJ, et al. Linking clinical registry data with administrative data using indirect identifiers: implementation and validation in the congenital heart surgery population. Am Heart J 2010; 160: 1099–1104.
19. Jacobs, JP, Edwards, FH, Shahian, DM, et al. Successful linking of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons database to social security data to examine survival after cardiac operations. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 92: 32–37; discussion 8-9.10.1016/j.athoracsur.2011.02.029
20. Pasquali, SK, Schumacher, KR, Davies, RR. Can linking databases answer questions about paediatric heart failure? Cardiol Young 2015; 25 (Suppl 2): 160–166.10.1017/S1047951115000967
21. Britto, MT, Fuller, SC, Kaplan, HC, et al. Using a network organisational architecture to support the development of learning healthcare systems. BMJ Qual Saf 2018; 1–10.
22. Radio, NP. Obama Task Force Director on the Cancer ‘Moonshot’ Initiative. All Things Considered 2016; 30.
23. Anderson, JB, Beekman, RH 3rd, Kugler, JD, et al. Improvement in interstage survival in a national pediatric cardiology learning network. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2015; 8: 428–436.
24. Provost, F, Fawcett, T. Data science and its relationship to big data and data-driven decision making. Big Data 2013; 1: 51–59.
25. Pasquali, SK, Ravishankar, C, Romano, JC, et al. Design and initial results of a programme for routine standardised longitudinal follow-up after congenital heart surgery. Cardiol Young 2016; 26: 1590–1596.