The authors would like to thank Russ Cassidy, VP AAA Hockey, Kelsey McCuspey, Concussion Protocol Coordinator, and all coaches and parents for their support of Winnipeg AAA Concussion Protocol and this study.
MJE reports receiving an honorarium from Parachute for his role as co-chair of the Expert Advisory Concussion Subcommittee. JL, DMC, KR, JK, and KR have nothing to disclose.
Conflicts of Interest
MJE is the co-chair of the Expert Advisory Committee for Parachute Canada, a non-profit injury prevention organization, who partnered with the Public Health Agency of Canada and National Sport Organizations to develop the Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport. He also represents the Canadian Neurosurgical Society on the Canadian Concussion Collaborative.
Statement of Authorship
Co-authors MJE and KFR conceptualized and designed the study, drafted the initial manuscript, critically reviewed and revised the manuscript, and approved the final manuscript as submitted. JL, DMC, KR, and JK carried out data collection for the study, critically reviewed and revised the manuscript, and approved the final manuscript as submitted. All authors approved the final manuscript as submitted and agreed to be accountable for all aspects of the work.
1. Hockey Canada. 2016, Hockey Canada: 2015-2016 Annual report, 2016. Available at: www.hockeycanada.ca. Accessed November 5, 2017.
2. Emery, CA, Meeuwisse, WH. Injury rates, risk factors, and mechanisms of injury in minor hockey. Am J Sports Med. 2006;34:1960-1969.
3. Harris, AW, Voaklander, DC, Drul, C. Hockey-related emergency department visits after a change in minor hockey age groups. Clin J Sport Med. 2012;22:455-461.
4. Houghton, KM, Emery, CA. Bodychecking in youth ice hockey. Paediatr Child Health. 2012;17:509-510.
5. Davis, GA, Anderson, V, Babl, FE, et al. What is the difference in concussion management in children as compared with adults? A systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51:949-957.
6. Williams, RM, Puetz, TW, Giza, CC, Broglio, SP. Concussion recovery time among high school and collegiate athletes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Med. 2015;45:893-903.
7. Ellis, MJ, Ritchie, LJ, McDonald, PJ, et al. Multidisciplinary management of pediatric sports-related concussion. Can J Neurol Sci. 2017;44:24-34.
8. Makdissi, M, Cantu, RC, Johnston, KM, McCrory, P, Meeuwisse, WH. The difficult concussion patient: what is the best approach to investigation and management of persistent (10 days) postconcussive symptoms? Br J Sports Med. 2013;47:308-313.
9. Cochrane, GD, Owen, M, Ackerson, JD, Hale, MH, Gould, S. Exploration of US men’s professional sport organization concussion policies. Phys Sportsmed. 2017;45:178-183.
10. Fremont, P, Bradley, L, Tator, CH, Skinner, J, Fischer, LK, Canadian Concussion Collaborative. Recommendations for policy development regarding sport-related concussion prevention and management in Canada. Br J Sports Med. 2015;49:88-89.
11. Parachute. Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport, 2017. Available at: www.parachutecanada.org. Accessed November 5, 2017.
12. McCrory, P, Meeuwisse, WH, Aubry, M, et al. Consensus statement on concussion in sport: the 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich, November 2012. Br J Sports Med. 2013;47:250-258.
13. Kontos, AP, Elbin, RJ, Schatz, P, et al. A revised factor structure for the post-concussion symptom scale: baseline and postconcussion factors. Am J Sports Med. 2012;40:2375-2384.
14. Lovell, MR, Iverson, GL, Collins, MW, et al. Measurement of symptoms following sports-related concussion: reliability and normative data for the post-concussion scale. Appl Neuropsychol. 2006;13:166-174.
15. Cordingley, D, Girardin, R, Reimer, K, et al. Graded aerobic treadmill testing in pediatric sports-related concussion: safety, clinical use, and patient outcomes. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2016;25:693-702.
16. Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation. Standards for post-concussion care: from diagnosis to the interdisciplinary concussion clinic, 2017. Available at: www.onf.org. Accessed November 5, 2017.
17. McCrory, P, Meeuwisse, W, Dvorak, J, et al. Consensus statement on concussion in sport-the 5th international conference on concussion in sport held in Berlin, October 2016. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51:838-847.
19. Register-Mihalik, JK, Guskiewicz, KM, McLeod, TC, Linnan, LA, Mueller, FO, Marshall, SW. Knowledge, attitude, and concussion-reporting behaviors among high school athletes: a preliminary study. J Athl Train. 2013;48:645-653.
20. Rivara, FP, Schiff, MA, Chrisman, SP, Chung, SK, Ellenbogen, RG, Herring, SA. The effect of coach education on reporting of concussions among high school athletes after passage of a concussion law. Am J Sports Med. 2014;42:1197-1203.