1. Kocher, KE, Meurer, WJ, Fazel, R, Scott, PA, Krumholz, HM, et al. National trends in use of computed tomography in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2011;58(5):452-462.
2. Jain, S, Elon, LK, Johnson, BA, Frank, G, Deguzman, M. Physician practice variation in the pediatric emergency department and its impact on resource use and quality of care. Pediatr Emerg Care 2010;26(12):902-908.
3. Klassen, TP, Reed, MH, Stiell, IG, et al. Variation in utilization of computed tomography scanning for the investigation of minor head trauma in children: a Canadian experience. Acad Emerg Med 2000;7(7):739-744.
4. Levine, MB, Moore, AB, Franck, C, Li, J, Kuehl, DR. Variation in use of all types of computed tomography by emergency physicians. Am J Emerg Med 2013;31(10):1437-1442.
5. Mannix, R, Meehan, WP, Monuteaux, MC, Bachur, RG. Computed tomography for minor head injury: variation and trends in major United States pediatric emergency departments. J Pediatr 2012;160(1):136-139.
6. Prevedello, LM, Raja, AS, Zane, RD, et al. Variation in use of head computed tomography by emergency physicians. Am J Med 2012;125(4):356-364.
7. Marin, JR, Weaver, MD, Barnato, AE, et al. Variation in emergency department head computed tomography use for pediatric head trauma. Acad Emerg Med 2014;21(9):987-995.
8. Cutler, D, Skinner, J, Stern, AD, Wennberg, D. Physician beliefs and patient preferences: a new look at regional variation in health care spending. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 19320; 2013. Available at: http://www.nber.org/papers/w19320.pdf (accessed June 3, 2017).
9. Patz, EF, Pinsky, P, Gatsonis, C, et al. Overdiagnosis in low-dose computed tomography screening for lung cancer. JAMA Intern Med 2014;174(2):269-274.
10. Lumbreras, B, Donat, L, Hernández-Aguado, I. Incidental findings in imaging diagnostic tests: a systematic review. Br J Radiol 2010;83(988):276-289.
11. Thompson, RJ, Wojcik, SM, Grant, WD, Ko, PY. Incidental findings on CT scans in the emergency department. Emerg Med Int 2011;2011:624847. 10.1155/2011/624847.
12. Brenner, DJ, Hall, EJ. Computed tomography—an increasing source of radiation exposure. N Engl J Med 2007;357(222):2277-2284.
13. Cardis, E, Vrijheid, M, Blettner, M, et al. Risk of cancer after low doses of ionising radiation: retrospective cohort study in 15 countries. BMJ 2005;331(7508):77.
14. Berrington de Gonzalez, A, Mahesh, M, Kim, KP, et al. Projected cancer risks from computed tomographic scans performed in the United States in 2007. Arch Intern Med 2009;169(22):2071-2077.
15. Mathews, JD, Forsythe, AV, Brady, Z, et al. Cancer risk in 680,000 people exposed to computed tomography scans in childhood or adolescence: data linkage study of 11 million Australians. BMJ 2013;346:f2360.
16. Rajaraman, P, Simpson, J, Neta, G, et al. Early life exposure to diagnostic radiation and ultrasound scans and risk of childhood cancer: case-control study. BMJ 2011;342:d472.
17. Eisenberg, MJ, Afilalo, J, Lawler, PR, et al. Cancer risk related to low-dose ionizing radiation from cardiac imaging in patients after acute myocardial infarction. CMAJ 2011;183(4):430-436.
18. Katz, DA, Williams, GC, Brown, RL, et al. Emergency physicians’ fear of malpractice in evaluating patients with possible acute cardiac ischemia. Ann Emerg Med 2005;46(6):525-533.
19. Pines, JM, Hollander, JE, Isserman, JA, et al. The association between physician risk tolerance and imaging use in abdominal pain. Am J Emerg Med 2009;27(5):552-557.
20. Pines, JM, Isserman, JA, Szyld, D, et al. The effect of physician risk tolerance and the presence of an observation unit on decision making for ED patients with chest pain. Am J Emerg Med 2010;28(7):771-779.
21. Smith-Bindman, R, McCulloch, CE, Ding, A, Quale, C, Chu, PW. Diagnostic imaging rates for head injury in the ED and states’ medical malpractice tort reforms. Am J Emerg Med 2011;29(6):656-664.
22. Cheng, FJ, Wu, CH, Syue, YJ, Yen, PC, Wu, KH. Association of physician risk tolerance with ED CT use for isolated dizziness/vertigo patients. Am J Emerg Med 2014;32(10):1284-1288.
23. Rohacek, M, Buatsi, J, Szucs-Farkas, Z, et al. Ordering CT pulmonary angiography to exclude pulmonary embolism: defense versus evidence in the emergency room. Intensive Care Med 2012;38(8):1345-1351.
24. Wong, AC, Kowalenko, T, Roahen-Harrison, S, et al. A survey of emergency physicians’ fear of malpractice and its association with the decision to order computed tomography scans for children with minor head trauma. Pediatr Emerg Care 2011;27(3):182-185.
25. Feinglass, J, Martin, GJ, Sen, A. The financial effect of physician practice style on hospital resource use. Health Serv Res 1991;26(2):183-205.
26. DeLong, ER, Peterson, ED, DeLong, DM, et al. Comparing risk-adjustment methods for provider profiling. Stat Med 1997;16(23):2645-2664.
27. Harrell, FE. Regression Modelling Strategies: With Applications to Linear Models, Logistic Regression, and Survival Analysis. New York: Springer Science and Business Media; 2001.
29. Kim, AS, Sidney, S, Klingman, JG, Johnston, SC. Practice variation in neuroimaging to evaluate dizziness in the ED. Am J Emerg Med 2012;30(5):665-672.
30. Stiell, IG, Wells, GA, Vandemheen, K, et al. Variation in ED use of computed tomography for patients with minor head injury. Ann Emerg Med 1997;30(1):14-22.
31. Oxman, AD, Thomson, MA, Davis, DA, Haynes, RB. No magic bullets: a systematic review of 102 trials of interventions to improve professional practice. CMAJ 1995;153(10):1423-1431.
32. Solomon, DH, Hashimoto, H, Daltroy, L, Liang, MH. Techniques to improve physicians’ use of diagnostic tests: a new conceptual framework. JAMA 1998;280(23):2020-2027.
33. Hartig, JR, Allison, J. Physician performance improvement: an overview of methodologies. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2007;25(6 Suppl 47):50-54.
34. Jamtvedt, G, Young, JM, Kristoffersen, DT, O’Brien, MA, Oxman, AD. Audit and feedback: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;(2):CD000259.
36. Couchman, GR, Forjuoh, SN, Reis, MD, Bartels, G, Lindzey, D. Variation in MRI/CT utilization among family physicians and general internists in a multi-specialty group practice. Med Sci Monit 2005;11(3):MT19-MT25.
37. Pezzin, LE, Keyl, PM, Green, GB. Disparities in the emergency department evaluation of chest pain patients. Acad Emerg Med 2007;14(2):149-156.
38. Harris, MI. Racial and ethnic differences in health care access and health outcomes for adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2001;24(3):454-459.
39. Verstappen, WH, ter Riet, G, Dubois, WI, et al. Variation in test order in test ordering behaviour of GPs: professional or context-related factors? Fam Pract 2004;21(4):387-395.