1. Zacharski, L, Ornstein, D, Woloshin, S, et al. (2000) Association of age, sex, and race with body iron stores in adults: analysis of NHANES III data. Am Heart J 140, 98–104.
2. Pham, NM, Nanri, A, Yi, S, et al. (2013) Serum ferritin is associated with markers of insulin resistance in Japanese men but not in women. Metabolism 62, 561–567.
3. Chen, L, Li, Y, Zhang, F, et al. (2017) Association of serum ferritin levels with metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance in a Chinese population. J Diabetes Complications 31, 364–368.
4. Krisai, P, Leib, S, Aeschbacher, S, et al. (2016) Relationships of iron metabolism with insulin resistance and glucose levels in young and healthy adults. Eur J Intern Med 32, 31–37.
5. Yeap, BB, Divitini, ML, Gunton, JE, et al. (2015) Higher ferritin levels, but not serum iron or transferring saturation, are associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus in adult men and women free of genetic haemochromatosis. Clin Endocrinol 82, 525–532.
6. Bonfils, L, Ellervik, C, Friedrich, N, et al. (2015) Fasting serum levels of ferritin are associated with impaired pancreatic beta cell function and decreased insulin sensitivity: a population-based study. Diabetologia 58, 523–533.
7. Kim, CH, Kim, HK, Bae, SJ, et al. (2011) Association of elevated serum ferritin concentration with insulin resistance and impaired glucose metabolism in Korean men and women. Metabolism 60, 414–420.
8. Zhan, Y, Tang, Z & Yu, J (2014) Serum ferritin, diabetes, diabetes control, and insulin resistance. Acta Diabetol 51, 991–998.
9. Harris, EL, McLaren, CE, Reboussin, DM, et al. (2007) Serum ferritin and transferrin saturation in Asians and Pacific Islanders. Arch Intern Med 167, 722–726.
10. Gao, X, Hofman, A, Hu, Y, et al. (2010) The Shanghai Changfeng Study: a communitybased prospective cohort study of chronic diseases among middle-aged and elderly: objectives and design. Eur J Epidemiol 25, 885–893.
11. Matthews, DR, Hosker, JP, Rudenski, AS, et al. (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28, 412–419.
12. Chobanian, AV, Bakris, GL, Black, HR, et al. (2003) Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 42, 1206–1252.
13. American Diabetes Association (2010) Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2010. Diabetes Care 33, S11–S61.
14. Lee, BK, Kim, Y & Kim, YI (2011) Association of serum ferritin with metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitus in the South Korean general population according to the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008. Metabolism 60, 1416–1424.
15. Jehn, M, Clark, JM & Guallar, E (2004) Serum ferritin and risk of the metabolic syndrome in U.S. adults. Diabetes Care 27, 2422–2428.
16. Mateo-Gallego, R, Calmarza, P, Jarauta, E, et al. (2010) Serum ferritin is a major determinant of lipid phenotype in familial combined hyperlipidemia and familial hypertriglyceridemia. Metabolism 59, 154–158.
17. Geer, EB & Shen, W (2009) Gender differences in insulin resistance, body composition, and energy balance. Gend Med 6, Suppl. 1, 60–75.
18. Doshi, SB & Agarwal, A (2013) The role of oxidative stress in menopause. J Midlife Health 4, 140–146.
19. Penckofer, S & Schwertz, D (2000) Improved iron status parameters may be a benefit of hormone replacement therapy. J Womens Health Gend Based Med 9, 141–151.
20. Kamei, D & Akiba, T (2015) Coefficient of variation among ferritin measurement methods in hemodialysis and standard serum ferritin level. Kidney Int 88, 197.
21. Yoo, KD, Ko, SH, Park, JE, et al. (2012) High serum ferritin levels are associated with metabolic risk factors in non-obese Korean young adults: Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) IV. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 77, 233–240.
22. Yoon, JH, Linton, JA, Koh, SB, et al. (2012) Serum ferritin concentrations predict incidence of metabolic syndrome in rural Korean adults. Clin Chem Lab Med 50, 2057–2059.
23. Cho, GJ, Shin, JH, Yi, KW, et al. (2011) Serum ferritin levels are associated with metabolic syndrome in postmenopausal women but not in premenopausal women. Menopause 18, 1120–1124.
24. Vari, IS, Balkau, B, Kettaneh, A, et al. (2007) DESIR Study Group. Ferritin and transferrin are associated with metabolic syndrome abnormalities and their change over time in a general population: Data from an Epidemiological Study on the Insulin Resistance Syndrome (DESIR). Diabetes Care 30, 1795–1801.
25. Aregbesola, A, Virtanen, JK, Voutilainen, S, et al. (2015) Serum ferritin and glucose homeostasis: change in the association by glycaemic state. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 31, 507–514.
26. Messner, DJ, Rhieu, BH & Kowdley, KV (2013) Iron overload causes oxidative stress and impaired insulin signaling in AML-12 hepatocytes. Dig Dis Sci 58, 1899–1908.
27. Aregbesola, A, Virtanen, JK, Voutilainen, S, et al. (2015) Serum ferritin and glucose homeostasis: change in the association by glycaemic state. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 31, 507–514.
28. Gabrielsen, JS, Gao, Y, Simcox, JA, et al. (2012) Adipocyte iron regulates adiponectin and insulin sensitivity. J Clin Invest 122, 3529–3540.
29. Nishizawa, H, Shimomura, H, Kishida, K, et al. (2002) Androgens decrease plasma adiponectin, an insulinsensitizing adipocyte-derived protein. Diabetes 51, 2734–2741.
30. Forouhi, NG, Harding, AH, Allison, M, et al. (2007) Elevated serum ferritin levels predict new-onset type 2 diabetes: results from the EPIC-Norfolk prospective study. Diabetologia 50, 949–956.
31. Kowdley, KV, Belt, P, Wilson, LA, et al. (2012) Serum ferritin is an independent predictor of histologic severity and advanced fibrosis in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 55, 77–85.
32. Cho, MR, Park, JK, Choi, WJ, et al. (2017) Serum ferritin level is positively associated with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in postmenopausal women: a nationwide population-based study. Maturitas 103, 3–7.
33. Han, LL, Wang, YX, Li, J, et al. (2014) Gender differences in associations of serum ferritin and diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity in the China Health and Nutrition Survey. Mol Nutr Food Res 58, 2189–2195.
34. Houschyar, KS, Ludtke, R, Dobos, GJ, et al. (2012) Effects of phlebotomy-induced reduction of body iron stores on metabolic syndrome: results from a randomized clinical trial. BMC Med 10, 54.
35. Fernández-Real, JM, López-Bermejo, A & Ricart, W (2005) Iron stores, blood donation, and insulin sensitivity and secretion. Clin Chem 51, 1201–1205.
36. Guo, X, Zhou, D, An, P, et al. (2013) Associations between serum hepcidin, ferritin and Hb concentrations and type 2 diabetes risks in a Han Chinese population. Br J Nutr 110, 2180–2185.
37. Zhou, F, Zhao, Z, Tian, L, et al. (2016) Association of serum ferritin level with risk of incident abnormal glucose metabolism in southwestern China: a prospective cohort study. Biol Trace Elem Res 169, 27–33.
38. Gao, S, Zhao, D, Qi, Y, et al. (2017) The association between serum ferritin levels and the risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus: a 10-year follow-up of the Chinese Multi-Provincial Cohort Study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 130, 154–162.
39. Sun, L, Zong, G, Pan, A, et al. (2013) Elevated plasma ferritin is associated with increased incidence of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly Chinese adults. J Nutr 143, 1459–1465.
40. Chen, L, Li, Y, Zhang, F, et al. (2018) Elevated serum ferritin concentration is associated with incident type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Chinese population: a prospective cohort study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 139, 155–162.
41. Eftekhari, MH, Mozaffari-Khosravi, H, Shidfar, F, et al. (2013) Relation between body iron status and cardiovascular risk factors in patients with cardiovascular disease. Int J Prev Med 4, 911–916.
42. Kitade, H, Chen, G, Ni, Y, et al. (2017) Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and insulin resistance: new insights and potential new treatments. Nutrients 9, 4.
43. Yang, MH, Hall, SA, Piccolo, RS, et al. (2015) Do behavioral risk factors for prediabetes and insulin resistance differ across the socioeconomic gradient? Results from a community-based epidemiologic survey. Int J Endocrinol 2015, 806257.
44. Stringhini, S, Sabia, S, Shipley, M, et al. (2010) Association of socioeconomic position with health behaviors and mortality. JAMA 303, 1159–1166.
45. Gabay, C & Kushner, I (1999) Acute-phase proteins and other systemic responses to inflammation. N Engl J Med 340, 448–454.
46. Guo, QY, Zhao, LY, He, YN, et al. (2017) Survey on dietary nutrients intake of Chinese residents between 2010 and 2012. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 51, 519–522.
47. Ma, G, Jin, Y, Li, Y, et al. (2008) Iron and zinc deficiencies in China: what is a feasible and cost-effective strategy? Public Health Nutr 6, 632–638.