1. Martinez-Gonzalez, MA & Bes-Rastrollo, M (2014) Dietary patterns, Mediterranean diet, and cardiovascular disease. Curr Opin Lipidol 25, 20–26.
2. Estruch, R, Ros, E, Salas-Salvado, J, et al. (2013) Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med 368, 1279–1290.
3. Tong, TYN, Wareham, NJ, Khaw, K-T, et al. (2016) Prospective association of the Mediterranean diet with cardiovascular disease incidence and mortality and its population impact in a non-Mediterranean population: the EPIC-Norfolk study. BMC Med 14, 135.
4. Gardener, H, Wright, CB, Gu, Y, et al. (2011) Mediterranean-style diet and risk of ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction, and vascular death: the Northern Manhattan Study. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1458–1464.
5. Couto, E, Boffetta, P, Lagiou, P, et al. (2011) Mediterranean dietary pattern and cancer risk in the EPIC cohort. Br J Cancer 104, 1493–1499.
6. Toledo, E, Salas-Salvadó, J, Donat-Vargas, C, et al. (2015) Mediterranean diet and invasive breast cancer risk among women at high cardiovascular risk in the PREDIMED trial: randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med 175, 1752–1760.
7. Esposito, K, Maiorino, MI, Ceriello, A, et al. (2010) Prevention and control of type 2 diabetes by Mediterranean diet: a systematic review. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 89, 97–102.
8. Salas-Salvadó, J, Bulló, M, Estruch, R, et al. (2014) Prevention of diabetes with Mediterranean diets: a subgroup analysis of a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 160, 1–10.
9. Psaltopoulou, T, Sergentanis, TN, Panagiotakos, DB, et al. (2013) Mediterranean diet, stroke, cognitive impairment, and depression: a meta-analysis. Ann Neurol 74, 580–591.
10. Sofi, F, Macchi, C, Abbate, R, et al. (2013) Mediterranean diet and health status: an updated meta-analysis and a proposal for a literature-based adherence score. Public Health Nutr 17, 2769–2782.
11. Tangney, CC, Kwasny, MJ, Li, H, et al. (2011) Adherence to a Mediterranean-type dietary pattern and cognitive decline in a community population. Am J Clin Nutr 93, 601–607.
12. Scarmeas, N, Stern, Y, Mayeux, R, et al. (2006) Mediterranean diet, Alzheimer disease, and vascular mediation. Arch Neurol 63, 1709–1717.
13. Scarmeas, N, Stern, Y, Mayeux, R, et al. (2009) Mediterranean diet and mild cognitive impairment. Arch Neurol 66, 216–225.
15. Bach, A, Serra-Majem, L, Carrasco, JL, et al. (2006) The use of indexes evaluating the adherence to the Mediterranean diet in epidemiological studies: a review. Public Health Nutr 9, 132–146.
16. Milà-Villarroel, R, Bach-Faig, A, Puig, J, et al. (2011) Comparison and evaluation of the reliability of indexes of adherence to the Mediterranean diet. Public Health Nutr 14, 2338–2345.
17. D’Alessandro, A & De Pergola, G (2015) Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular disease: a critical evaluation of a priori dietary indexes. Nutrients 7, 7863–7888.
18. Ruiz, AH, Garcia-Villanova, B, Hernandez, EJG, et al. (2015) Description of indexes based on the adherence to the Mediterranean dietary pattern: a review. Nutr Hosp 32, 1872–1884.
19. Radd-Vagenas, S, Kouris-Blazos, A, Fiatarone Singh, M, et al. (2017) Evolution of Mediterranean diets and cuisine: concepts and definitions. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 26, 749–763.
20. Schroder, H, Fito, M, Estruch, R, et al. (2011) A short screener is valid for assessing Mediterranean diet adherence among older Spanish men and women. J Nutr 141, 1140–1145.
21. Cerwinske, LA, Rasmussen, HE, Lipson, S, et al. (2017) Evaluation of a dietary screener: the Mediterranean Eating Pattern for Americans tool. J Hum Nutr Diet 30, 596–603.
22. Thompson, FE & Subar, AF (2017) Chapter 1 – Dietary assessment methodology. In Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease, 4th ed., pp. 5–48 [AM Coulston, CJ Boushey, MG Ferruzzi and LM Delahanty, editors]. London: Academic Press.
23. Trichopoulou, A, Kouris-Blazos, A, Wahlqvist, ML, et al. (1995) Diet and overall survival in elderly people. BMJ 311, 1457–1460.
24. Trichopoulou, A, Costacou, T, Bamia, C, et al. (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
25. Hebestreit, K, Yahiaoui-Doktor, M, Engel, C, et al. (2017) Validation of the German version of the Mediterranean Diet Adherence Screener (MEDAS) questionnaire. BMC Cancer 17, 341.
26. Sotos-Prieto, M, Santos-Beneit, G, Bodega, P, et al. (2015) Validation of a questionnaire to measure overall Mediterranean lifestyle habits for research application: the MEDiterranean LIFEstyle index (MEDLIFE). Nutr Hosp 32, 1153–1163.
27. Freedman, LS, Commins, JM, Moler, JE, et al. (2015) Pooled results from 5 validation studies of dietary self-report instruments using recovery biomarkers for potassium and sodium intake. Am J Epidemiol 181, 473–487.
28. Petersen, RC (2004) Mild cognitive impairment as a diagnostic entity. J Intern Med 256, 183–194.
29. Petersen, RC, Smith, GE, Waring, SC, et al. (1999) Mild cognitive impairment: clinical characterization and outcome. Arch Neurol 56, 303–308.
30. Valls-Pedret, C, Sala-Vila, A, Serra-Mir, M, et al. (2015) Mediterranean diet and age-related cognitive decline: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med 175, 1094–1103.
31. Martínez-González, MA, García-Arellano, A, Toledo, E, et al. (2012) A 14-item Mediterranean diet assessment tool and obesity indexes among high-risk subjects: the PREDIMED trial. PLOS ONE 7, e43134.
32. Hernandez-Galiot, A & Goni, I (2017) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet pattern, cognitive status and depressive symptoms in an elderly non-institutionalized population. Nutr Hosp 34, 338–344.
33. Gates, NJ, Valenzuela, M, Sachdev, PS, et al. (2011) Study of mental activity and regular training (SMART) in at risk individuals: a randomised double blind, sham controlled, longitudinal trial. BMC Geriatr 11, 19.
34. Singh, MAF, Gates, N, Saigal, N, et al. (2014) The Study of Mental and Resistance Training (SMART) study—resistance training and/or cognitive training in mild cognitive impairment: a randomized, double-blind, double-sham controlled trial. J Am Med Dir Assoc 15, 873–880.
35. Rosen, WG, Mohs, RC & Davis, KL (1984) A new rating scale for Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Psychiatry 141, 1356–1364.
36. Hindmarch, I, Lehfeld, H, de Jongh, P, et al. (1998) The Bayer Activities of Daily Living Scale (B-ADL). Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 9, Suppl. 2, 20–26.
37. Willett, WC, Sacks, F, Trichopoulou, A, et al. (1995) Mediterranean diet pyramid: a cultural model for healthy eating. Am J Clin Nutr 61, 1402S–1406S.
39. Bach-Faig, A, Berry, EM, Lairon, D, et al. (2011) Mediterranean diet pyramid today: science and cultural updates. Public Health Nutr 14, 2274–2284.
40. Australian Bureau of Statistics (2014) 4364.0.55.007 – Australian Health Survey: Nutrition First Results – Foods and Nutrients, 2011–12. Canberra: FSANZ.
41. Margetts, BM & Nelson, MD (1997) Design Concepts in Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
42. Peat, J (2001) Health Science Research: A Handbook of Quantitative Methods, 1st ed. Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin.
43. Rosner, B (2016) Fundamentals of Biostatistics, 8th ed. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
44. Bland, JM & Altman, DG (1986) Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet i, 307–310.
45. Landis, JR & Koch, GG (1977) The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33, 159–174.
46. Willett, W (1998) Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed., vol. 30. New York: Oxford University Press.
47. Klipstein-Grobusch, K, Den Breeijen, JH, Goldbohm, RA, et al. (1998) Dietary assessment in the elderly: validation of a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 588–596.
48. Huybrechts, I, Vereecken, C, De Bacquer, D, et al. (2010) Reproducibility and validity of a diet quality index for children assessed using a FFQ. Br J Nutr 104, 135–144.
49. Ambrosini, GL, Van Roosbroeck, SAH, Mackerras, D, et al. (2003) The reliability of ten-year dietary recall: implications for cancer research. J Nutr 133, 2663–2668.
50. George, ES, Kucianski, T, Mayr, HL, et al. (2018) A Mediterranean diet model in Australia: strategies for translating the traditional Mediterranean diet into a multicultural setting. Nutrients 10, 465.
51. US Department of Health and Human Services and US Department of Agriculture (2015) 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 8th ed. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.
52. National Health and Medical Research Council (2013) Australian Dietary Guidelines. Canberra: National Health and Medical Research Council.
54. Willett, W (2001) Invited commentary: a further look at dietary questionnaire validation. Am J Epidemiol 154, 1100–1102.
55. Bowman, GL, Shannon, J, Ho, E, et al. (2011) Reliability and validity of food frequency questionnaire and nutrient biomarkers in elders with and without mild cognitive impairment. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 25, 49–57.
56. Zuniga, K & McAuley, E (2015) Considerations in selection of diet assessment methods for examining the effect of nutrition on cognition. J Nutr Health Aging 19, 333–340.
57. Díez-Espino, J, Buil-Cosiales, P, Serrano-Martínez, M, et al. (2011) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and HbA1c level. Ann Nutr Metab 58, 74–78.
58. Sánchez-Taínta, A, Estruch, R, Bullo, M, et al. (2008) Adherence to a Mediterranean-type diet and reduced prevalence of clustered cardiovascular risk factors in a cohort of 3204 high-risk patients. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 15, 589–593.
59. Schröder, H, Marrugat, J, Vila, J, et al. (2004) Adherence to the traditional Mediterranean diet is inversely associated with body mass index and obesity in a Spanish population. J Nutr 134, 3355–3361.
60. Panagiotakos, DB, Pitsavos, C & Stefanadis, C (2006) Dietary patterns: a Mediterranean diet score and its relation to clinical and biological markers of cardiovascular disease risk. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16, 559–568.
61. Martinez-Gonzalez, MA, Fernandez-Jarne, E, Serrano-Martinez, M, et al. (2002) Mediterranean diet and reduction in the risk of a first acute myocardial infarction: an operational healthy dietary score. Eur J Nutr 41, 153–160.
62. Panagiotakos, D, Kalogeropoulos, N, Pitsavos, C, et al. (2009) Validation of the MedDietScore via the determination of plasma fatty acids. Int J Food Sci Nutr 60, 168–180.
63. Hoffman, R & Gerber, M (2013) Evaluating and adapting the Mediterranean diet for non‐Mediterranean populations: a critical appraisal. Nutr Rev 71, 573–584.
64. Cade, JE, Burley, VJ, Warm, DL, et al. (2004) Food-frequency questionnaires: a review of their design, validation and utilisation. Nutr Res Rev 17, 5–22.
65. Cade, JE, Warthon-Medina, M, Albar, S, et al. (2017) DIET@NET: best practice guidelines for dietary assessment in health research. BMC Med 15, 202.