1. Viner, R, White, B & Christie, D (2017) Type 2 diabetes in adolescents: a severe phenotype posing major clinical challenges and public health burden. Lancet 389, 2252–2260.
2. International Diabetes Federation, (2015)
IDF Diabetes Atlas
, 7th ed. Brussels: International Diabetes Federation.
3. Nadeau, K & Dabelea, D (2008) Epidemiology of type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents. Endocr Res 33, 35–58.
4. Duncan, GE (2006) Prevalence of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose levels among US adolescents: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2002. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160, 523–528.
SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study Group, Liese, AD, D’Agostino, RB Jr, et al. (2006) The burden of diabetes mellitus among US youth: prevalence estimates from the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Pediatrics 118, 1510–1518.
6. Fu, JF, Liang, L, Gong, CX, et al. (2013) Status and trends of diabetes in Chinese children: analysis of data from 14 medical centers. World J Pediatr 9, 127–134.
7. Oester, IM, Kloppenborg, JT, Olsen, BS, et al. (2016) Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Danish children and adolescents in 2014. Pediatr Diabetes 17, 368–373.
8. Smyth, S & Heron, A (2006) Diabetes and obesity: the twin epidemics. Nat Med 12, 75–80.
9. American Diabetes Association, (2011) Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 34, Suppl. 1, S62–S69.
10. Wu, H, Zhong, J, Yu, M, et al. (2017) Incidence and time trends of type 2 diabetes mellitus in youth aged 5–19 years: a population-based registry in Zhejiang, China, 2007 to 2013. BMC Pediatr 17, 85.
11. Zhang, Y (2016) Study on urban and rural medical and health resources allocation balance in China. Med Soc 1, 7–9.
12. Chen, Y, Ma, L, Ma, Y, et al. (2015) A national school-based health lifestyles interventions among Chinese children and adolescents against obesity: rationale, design and methodology of a randomized controlled trial in China. BMC Public Health 15, 210.
13. Craig, CL, Marshall, AL, Sjostrom, M, et al. (2003) International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity. Med Sci Sports Exerc 35, 1381–1395.
14. American Diabetes Association (2012) Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 35, Suppl. 1, S64–S71.
15. Ji, CY, Working Group on Obesity in China (2005) Report on childhood obesity in China (1)--body mass index reference for screening overweight and obesity in Chinese school-age children. Biomed Environ Sci 18, 390–400.
16. Li, H, Zong, XN, Ji, CY, et al. (2010) [Body mass index cut-offs for overweight and obesity in Chinese children and adolescents aged 2–18 years]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 31, 616–620.
17. Kuruvilla, S, Bustreo, F, Kuo, T, et al. (2016) The global strategy for women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health (2016–2030): a roadmap based on evidence and country experience. Bull World Health Organ 94, 398–400.
18. de Onis, M, Onyango, AW, Borghi, E, et al. (2007) Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents. Bull World Health Organ 85, 660–667.
19. Brown, LD, Cai, TT & Dasgupta, A (2001) Interval estimation for a binomial proportion. Stat Sci 16, 101–117.
20. Agbre-Yace, ML, Oyenusi, EE, Oduwole, AO, et al. (2015) Prevalence of diabetes mellitus among children and adolescents in the district of Abidjan in Cote d’Ivoire: a population-based study. J Diabetes Metab Disord 15, 38.
21. Dabelea, D, Mayer-Davis, EJ, Saydah, S, et al. (2014) Prevalence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among children and adolescents from 2001 to 2009. JAMA 311, 1778–1786.
22. Al-Rubeaan, K (2015) National surveillance for type 1, type 2 diabetes and prediabetes among children and adolescents: a population-based study (SAUDI-DM). J Epidemiol Community Health 69, 1045–1051.
23. Li, C, Ford, ES, Zhao, G, et al. (2009) Prevalence of pre-diabetes and its association with clustering of cardiometabolic risk factors and hyperinsulinemia among U.S. adolescents: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005–2006. Diabetes Care 32, 342–347.
24. Bahendeka, S, Wesonga, R, Mutungi, G, et al. (2016) Prevalence and correlates of diabetes mellitus in Uganda: a population-based national survey. Trop Med Int Health 21, 405–416.
25. Choi, HK, Willett, WC, Stampfer, MJ, et al. (2005) Dairy consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in men: a prospective study. Arch Intern Med 165, 997–1003.
26. Liu, S, Choi, HK, Ford, E, et al. (2006) A prospective study of dairy intake and the risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetes Care 29, 1579–1584.
27. Pittas, AG, Lau, J, Hu, FB, et al. (2007) The role of vitamin D and calcium in type 2 diabetes. A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92, 2017–2029.
28. Zemel, MB, Donnelly, JE, Smith, BK, et al. (2008) Effects of dairy intake on weight maintenance. Nutr Metab (Lond) 5, 28.
29. Cahill, LE, Pan, A, Chiuve, SE, et al. (2014) Fried-food consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes and coronary artery disease: a prospective study in 2 cohorts of US women and men. Am J Clin Nutr 100, 667–675.
30. Alhazmi, A, Stojanovski, E, McEvoy, M, et al. (2014) The association between dietary patterns and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. J Hum Nutr Diet 27, 251–260.
31. Li, A, Ha, Y, Wang, F, et al. (2012) Determination of thermally induced trans-fatty acids in soybean oil by attenuated total reflectance Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and gas chromatography analysis. J Agric Food Chem 60, 10709–10713.
32. de Souza, RJ, Mente, A, Maroleanu, A, et al. (2015) Intake of saturated and trans unsaturated fatty acids and risk of all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. BMJ 351, h3978.
33. King, AJ & Priesbe, TJ (2006) Concerns about methodology and use of 3,5,7-cholestatriene as a marker of oxidative stress response to “Relationship between carotid atherosclerosis and erythrocyte membrane cholesterol oxidation products in type 2 diabetic patients”. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 72, 331–334.
34. Neeland, IJ, Turer, AT, Ayers, CR, et al. (2012) Dysfunctional adiposity and the risk of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes in obese adults. JAMA 308, 1150–1159.
35. Manson, JE, Nathan, DM, Krolewski, AS, et al. (1992) A prospective study of exercise and incidence of diabetes among US male physicians. JAMA 268, 63–67.
36. Hu, FB, Manson, JE, Stampfer, MJ, et al. (2001) Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women. N Engl J Med 345, 790–797.
37. Yates, T, Khunti, K, Bull, F, et al. (2007) The role of physical activity in the management of impaired glucose tolerance: a systematic review. Diabetologia 50, 1116–1126.
38. Albright, A, Franz, M, Hornsby, G, et al. (2000) American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and type 2 diabetes. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32, 1345–1360.
39. Goodyear, LJ & Kahn, BB (1998) Exercise, glucose transport, and insulin sensitivity. Annu Rev Med 49, 235–261.
40. Ivy, JL (1987) The insulin-like effect of muscle contraction. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 15, 29–51.
41. Despres, JP (1997) Visceral obesity, insulin resistance, and dyslipidemia: contribution of endurance exercise training to the treatment of the plurimetabolic syndrome. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 25, 271–300.
42. Kriska, A, Delahanty, L, Edelstein, S, et al. (2013) Sedentary behavior and physical activity in youth with recent onset of type 2 diabetes. Pediatrics 131, e850–e856.
43. de Winter, M, Rioux, BV, Boudreau, JG, et al. (2018) Physical activity and sedentary patterns among metabolically healthy individuals living with obesity. J Diabetes Res 2018, 7496768.