1. Bardenheier, BH, Imperatore, G, Gilboa, SM, et al. (2015) Trends in gestational diabetes among hospital deliveries in 19 U.S. States, 2000–2010. Am J Prev Med 49, 12–19.
2. Buckley, BS, Harreiter, J, Damm, P, et al. (2012) Gestational diabetes mellitus in Europe: prevalence, current screening practice and barriers to screening. A review. Diabet Med 29, 844–854.
3. Hapo Study Cooperative Research Group, Metzger, BE, Lowe, LP, et al. (2008) Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes. N Engl J Med 358, 1991–2002.
4. Bellamy, L, Casas, JP, Hingorani, AD, et al. (2009) Type 2 diabetes mellitus after gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 373, 1773–1779.
5. Boney, CM, Verma, A, Tucker, R, et al. (2005) Metabolic syndrome in childhood: association with birth weight, maternal obesity, and gestational diabetes mellitus. Pediatrics 115, e290–e296.
6. Clausen, TD, Mathiesen, ER, Hansen, T, et al. (2008) High prevalence of type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes in adult offspring of women with gestational diabetes mellitus or type 1 diabetes: the role of intrauterine hyperglycemia. Diabetes Care 31, 340–346.
7. Schoenaker, DA, Mishra, GD, Callaway, LK, et al. (2016) The role of energy, nutrients, foods, and dietary patterns in the development of gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review of observational studies. Diabetes Care 39, 16–23.
8. Zhang, C & Ning, Y (2011) Effect of dietary and lifestyle factors on the risk of gestational diabetes: review of epidemiologic evidence. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1975S–1979S.
9. Catalano, PM, Huston, L, Amini, SB, et al. (1999) Longitudinal changes in glucose metabolism during pregnancy in obese women with normal glucose tolerance and gestational diabetes mellitus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 180, 903–916.
10. Heer, M & Egert, S (2015) Nutrients other than carbohydrates: their effects on glucose homeostasis in humans. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 31, 14–35.
11. Greenwood, DC, Threapleton, DE, Evans, CE, et al. (2013) Glycemic index, glycemic load, carbohydrates, and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. Diabetes Care 36, 4166–4171.
12. Schulze, MB, Liu, S, Rimm, EB, et al. (2004) Glycemic index, glycemic load, and dietary fiber intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes in younger and middle-aged women. Am J Clin Nutr 80, 348–356.
13. Bao, W, Bowers, K, Tobias, DK, et al. (2014) Prepregnancy low-carbohydrate dietary pattern and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 99, 1378–1384.
14. Zhang, C, Liu, S, Solomon, CG, et al. (2006) Dietary fiber intake, dietary glycemic load, and the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 29, 2223–2230.
15. Russell, WR, Baka, A, Bjorck, I, et al. (2016) Impact of diet composition on blood glucose regulation. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 56, 541–590.
16. Halton, TL, Willett, WC, Liu, S, et al. (2006) Low-carbohydrate-diet score and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. N Engl J Med 355, 1991–2002.
17. Brown, WJ, Bryson, L, Byles, JE, et al. (1998) Women’s Health Australia: recruitment for a national longitudinal cohort study. Women Health 28, 23–40.
18. Lee, C, Dobson, AJ, Brown, WJ, et al. (2005) Cohort profile: the Australian Longitudinal Study on Women’s Health. Int J Epidemiol 34, 987–991.
19. Huang, TT, Roberts, SB, Howarth, NC, et al. (2005) Effect of screening out implausible energy intake reports on relationships between diet and BMI. Obes Res 13, 1205–1217.
20. Hodge, A, Patterson, AJ, Brown, WJ, et al. (2000) The Anti Cancer Council of Victoria FFQ: relative validity of nutrient intakes compared with weighed food records in young to middle-aged women in a study of iron supplementation. Aust N Z J Public Health 24, 576–583.
21. Ireland, P, Jolley, D, Giles, G, et al. (1994) Development of the Melbourne FFQ: a food frequency questionnaire for use in an Australian prospective study involving an ethnically diverse cohort. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 3, 19–31.
22. Lewis, J, Milligan, G & Hunt, A (1995) Nuttab95: Nutrient Data Table for Use in Australia. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service.
23. Wolever, TM, Jenkins, DJ, Jenkins, AL, et al. (1991) The glycemic index: methodology and clinical implications. Am J Clin Nutr 54, 846–854.
24. Foster-Powell, K, Holt, SH & Brand-Miller, JC (2002) International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002. Am J Clin Nutr 76, 5–56.
25. Willett, WC, Howe, GR & Kushi, LH (1997) Adjustment for total energy intake in epidemiologic studies. Am J Clin Nutr 65, 1220S–1228S; discussion 1229S–1231S.
26. Hoffman, L, Nolan, C, Wilson, JD, et al. (1998) Gestational diabetes mellitus – management guidelines. The Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society. Med J Aust 169, 93–97.
28. Gresham, E, Forder, P, Chojenta, CL, et al. (2015) Agreement between self-reported perinatal outcomes and administrative data in New South Wales, Australia. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 15, 161.
29. Brown, WJ, Burton, NW, Marshall, AL, et al. (2008) Reliability and validity of a modified self-administered version of the Active Australia physical activity survey in a sample of mid-age women. Aust N Z J Public Health 32, 535–541.
30. Hanley, JA, Negassa, A, Edwardes, MD, et al. (2003) Statistical analysis of correlated data using generalized estimating equations: an orientation. Am J Epidemiol 157, 364–375.
31. Spiegelman, D & Hertzmark, E (2005) Easy SAS calculations for risk or prevalence ratios and differences. Am J Epidemiol 162, 199–200.
32. Berglund, P (2010) An introduction to multiple imputation of complex sample data using SAS v9.2. In SAS Global Forum Proceedings. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
33. Schoenaker, DA, Soedamah-Muthu, SS, Callaway, LK, et al. (2015) Pre-pregnancy dietary patterns and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: results from an Australian population-based prospective cohort study. Diabetologia 58, 2726–2735.
34. Bowers, K, Tobias, DK, Yeung, E, et al. (2012) A prospective study of prepregnancy dietary fat intake and risk of gestational diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 446–453.
35. Feskens, EJ, Virtanen, SM, Rasanen, L, et al. (1995) Dietary factors determining diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. A 20-year follow-up of the Finnish and Dutch cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. Diabetes Care 18, 1104–1112.
36. Lichtenstein, AH & Schwab, US (2000) Relationship of dietary fat to glucose metabolism. Atherosclerosis 150, 227–243.
37. Bao, W, Bowers, K, Tobias, DK, et al. (2013) Prepregnancy dietary protein intake, major dietary protein sources, and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care 36, 2001–2008.
38. Silva, FM, Kramer, CK, de Almeida, JC, et al. (2013) Fiber intake and glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Nutr Rev 71, 790–801.
39. Yao, B, Fang, H, Xu, W, et al. (2014) Dietary fiber intake and risk of type 2 diabetes: a dose-response analysis of prospective studies. Eur J Epidemiol 29, 79–88.
40. Khan, TA & Sievenpiper, JL (2016) Controversies about sugars: results from systematic reviews and meta-analyses on obesity, cardiometabolic disease and diabetes. Eur J Nutr 55, 25–43.
41. Kristensen, M & Jensen, MG (2011) Dietary fibres in the regulation of appetite and food intake. Importance of viscosity. Appetite 56, 65–70.
42. Wanders, AJ, van den Borne, JJ, de Graaf, C, et al. (2011) Effects of dietary fibre on subjective appetite, energy intake and body weight: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Obes Rev 12, 724–739.
43. Ylonen, K, Saloranta, C, Kronberg-Kippila, C, et al. (2003) Associations of dietary fiber with glucose metabolism in nondiabetic relatives of subjects with type 2 diabetes: the Botnia Dietary Study. Diabetes Care 26, 1979–1985.
44. Thielecke, F & Jonnalagadda, SS (2014) Can whole grain help in weight management? J Clin Gastroenterol 48, Suppl. 1, S70–S77.
45. Zhang, C, Williams, MA, Sorensen, TK, et al. (2004) Maternal plasma ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Epidemiology 15, 597–604.
46. Lairon, D, Bertrais, S, Vincent, S, et al. (2003) Dietary fibre intake and clinical indices in the French Supplementation en Vitamines et Mineraux AntioXydants (SU.VI.MAX) adult cohort. Proc Nutr Soc 62, 11–15.
47. Roehrig, KL (1988) The physiological effects of dietary fiber – a review. Food Hydrocolloid 2, 1–18.
48. McIntosh, M & Miller, C (2001) A diet containing food rich in soluble and insoluble fiber improves glycemic control and reduces hyperlipidemia among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr Rev 59, 52–55.
49. Poutanen, KS, Dussort, P, Erkner, A, et al. (2017) A review of the characteristics of dietary fibers relevant to appetite and energy intake outcomes in human intervention trials. Am J Clin Nutr 106, 747–754.
50. Tobias, DK, Hu, FB, Chavarro, J, et al. (2012) Healthful dietary patterns and type 2 diabetes mellitus risk among women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus. Arch Intern Med 172, 1566–1572.
51. Zhang, C, Schulze, MB, Solomon, CG, et al. (2006) A prospective study of dietary patterns, meat intake and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 49, 2604–2613.
52. Gresham, E, Collins, CE, Mishra, GD, et al. (2016) Diet quality before or during pregnancy and the relationship with pregnancy and birth outcomes: the Australian Longitudinal Study on Women’s Health. Public Health Nutr 19, 2975–2983.
53. Cuco, G, Fernandez-Ballart, J, Sala, J, et al. (2006) Dietary patterns and associated lifestyles in preconception, pregnancy and postpartum. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 364–371.
54. McGowan, CA & McAuliffe, FM (2013) Maternal dietary patterns and associated nutrient intakes during each trimester of pregnancy. Public Health Nutr 16, 97–107.