1. Berti, C, Biesalski, HK, Gärtner, R, et al. (2011) Micronutrients in pregnancy: current knowledge and unresolved questions. Clin Nutr 30, 689–701.
2. Craciunescu, CN, Brown, EC, Mar, M-H, et al. (2004) Folic acid deficiency during late gestation decreases progenitor cell proliferation and increases apoptosis in fetal mouse brain. J Nutr 134, 162–166.
3. Xiao, S, Hansen, DK, Horsley, ETM, et al. (2005) Maternal folate deficiency results in selective upregulation of folate receptors and heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein-E1 associated with multiple subtle aberrations in fetal tissues. Birth defects research. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 73, 6–28.
4. Middaugh, LD, Grover, TA, Blackwell, LA, et al. (1976) Neurochemical and behavioral effects of diet related perinatal folic acid restriction. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 5, 129–134.
5. Schlotz, W, Jones, A, Phillips, DIW, et al. (2010) Lower maternal folate status in early pregnancy is associated with childhood hyperactivity and peer problems in offspring. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51, 594–602.
6. Benton, D (2012) Vitamins and neural and cognitive developmental outcomes in children. The Proc Nutr Soc 71, 14–26.
7. Breimer, LH & Nilsson, TK (2012) Has folate a role in the developing nervous system after birth and not just during embryogenesis and gestation? Scand J Clin Lab Invest 72, 185–191.
8. Nyaradi, A, Li, J, Hickling, S, et al. (2013) The role of nutrition in children’s neurocognitive development, from pregnancy through childhood. Front Hum Neurosci 7, 1–16.
9. Del Rio Garcia, C, Torres-sanchez, L, Chen, J, et al. (2009) Maternal MTHFR 677C>T genotype and dietary intake of folate and vitamin B(12): their impact on child neurodevelopment. Nutr Neurosci 12, 13–20.
10. Veena, S, Krishnaveni, G, Srinivasan, K, et al. (2010) Higher maternal plasma folate but not vitamin B-12 concentrations during pregnancy are associated with better cognitive function scores in 9-to 10-year-old children in South India. J Nutr 140, 1014–1022.
11. Villamor, E, Rifas-Shiman, S, Gillmann, M, et al. (2012) Maternal intake of methyl-donor nutrients and child cognition at 3 years of age. Paediatr Perinat Epidomiol 26, 328–335.
12. Roza, SJ, van Batenburg-Eddes, T, Steegers, EA, et al. (2010) Maternal folic acid supplement use in early pregnancy and child behavioural problems: the Generation R Study. Br J Nutr 103, 445–452.
13. Steenweg-de Graaff, J, Roza, SJ, Steegers, EA, et al. (2013) Maternal folate status in early pregnancy and child emotional and behavioral problems: the Generation R Study 1–3. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 1413–1421.
14. Molloy, AM, Kirke, PN, Brody, LC, et al. (2008) Effects of folate and vitamin B12 deficiencies during pregnancy on fetal, infant, and child development. Food Nutr Bull 29, 101–111.
15. Bhate, V, Deshpande, S, Bhat, D, et al. (2009) Vitamin B12 status of pregnant Indian women and cognitive function in their 9-year-old children. Food Nutr Bull 29, 249–254.
16. Jaddoe, VW, van Duijn, CM, Franco, OH, et al. (2012) The Generation R Study: design and cohort update 2012. Eur J Epidemiol 27, 739–756.
17. White, T, El Marroun, H, Nijs, I, et al. (2013) Pediatric population-based neuroimaging and the Generation R Study: the intersection of developmental neuroscience and epidemiology. Eur J Epidemiol 28, 99–111.
18. Achenbach, T & Rescorla, L (2001) Manual for the ASEBA Preschool Forms & Profiles. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Research Center for Children, Youth, and Families.
19. Tick, NT, van der Ende, J, Koot, HM, et al. (2007) 14-Year changes in emotional and behavioral problems of very young Dutch children. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46, 1333–1340.
20. Tick, NT, van der Ende, J & Verhulst, FC (2007) Twenty-year trends in emotional and behavioral problems in Dutch children in a changing society. Acta Psychiatr Scand 116, 473–482.
21. Tellegen, PJ, Winkel, M, Wijnberg-Williams, B, et al. (2005) Snijders-Oomen non-verbal intelligence test: SON-R 2.5-7.Amsterdam: Boom Testuitgevers.
22. Brooks, BL, Sherman, EMS & Strauss, E (2009) NEPSY-II: A Developmental Neuropsychological Assessment. second edition Child Neuropsychology 16, 80–101.
23. De Bellis, MD, Keshavan, MS, Beers, SR, et al. (2001) Sex differences in brain maturation during childhood and adolescence. Cereb Cortex 11, 552–557.
24. Sinharay, S, Stern, HS & Russell, D (2001) The use of multiple imputation for the analysis of missing data. Psychol Methods 6, 317–329.
25. Ardila, A, Pineda, D & Rosselli, M (2000) Correlation between intelligence test scores and executive function measures. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 15, 31–36.
26. Duthie, SJ, Whalley, LJ, Collins, AR, et al. (2002) Homocysteine, B vitamin status, and cognitive function in the elderly. Am J Clin Nutr 75, 908–913.
27. Black, MM (2011) NIH public access. Food Nutr Bull 29, 126–131.