1. Stewart, S, Jenkins, A, Buchan, S, et al. (2002) The current cost of heart failure to the National Health Service in the UK. Eur J Heart Fail 4, 361–371.
2. Cook, C, Cole, G, Asaria, P, et al. (2014) The annual global economic burden of heart failure. Int J Cardiol 171, 368–376.
3. Weiwei, C, Runlin, G, Lisheng, L, et al. (2016) Outline of the report on cardiovascular diseases in China, 2014. Eur Heart J Suppl 18, F2–F11.
4. Writing Group Members, Mozaffarian, D, Benjamin, EJ, et al. (2016) Heart disease and stroke statistics-2016 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation 133, e38–e360.
5. Roger, VL (2013) Epidemiology of heart failure. Circ Res 113, 646–659.
6. Jankowska, EA, von Haehling, S, Anker, SD, et al. (2013) Iron deficiency and heart failure: diagnostic dilemmas and therapeutic perspectives. Eur Heart J 34, 816–829.
7. Buratti, P, Gammella, E, Rybinska, I, et al. (2015) Recent advances in iron metabolism: relevance for health, exercise, and performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc 47, 1596–1604.
8. Cohen-Solal, A, Leclercq, C, Deray, G, et al. (2014) Iron deficiency: an emerging therapeutic target in heart failure. Heart 100, 1414–1420.
9. Wong, CC, Ng, AC, Kritharides, L, et al. (2016) Iron deficiency in heart failure: looking beyond anaemia. Heart Lung Circ 25, 209–216.
10. Klip, IT, Comin-Colet, J, Voors, AA, et al. (2013) Iron deficiency in chronic heart failure: an international pooled analysis. Am Heart J 165, 575–582.e573.
11. Silverberg, DS, Wexler, D, Sheps, D, et al. (2001) The effect of correction of mild anemia in severe, resistant congestive heart failure using subcutaneous erythropoietin and intravenous iron: a randomized controlled study. J Am Coll Cardiol 37, 1775–1780.
12. Bolger, AP, Bartlett, FR, Penston, HS, et al. (2006) Intravenous iron alone for the treatment of anemia in patients with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 48, 1225–1227.
13. Higgins, JPT & Green, S (2011) Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 (updated March 2011). The Cochrane Collaboration. http://handbook.cochrane.org (accessed January 2018).
14. Higgins, JP, Altman, DG, Gotzsche, PC, et al. (2011) The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. BMJ 343, d5928.
15. Hozo, SP, Djulbegovic, B & Hozo, I (2005) Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample. BMC Med Res Methodol 5, 13.
16. Moher, D, Liberati, A, Tetzlaff, J, et al. (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. BMJ 339, b2535.
17. Anker, SD, Comin Colet, J, Filippatos, G, et al. (2009) Ferric carboxymaltose in patients with heart failure and iron deficiency. N Engl J Med 361, 2436–2448.
18. Arutyunov, GP, Bylova, NA, Ivleva, AY, et al. (2009) The safety of intravenous (IV) ferric carboxymaltose v. IV iron sucrose in patients with chronic heart failure (CHF) and chronic kidney disease (CKD) with iron deficiency (ID). Eur J Heart Fail Suppl 8, ii71–ii71, Abstract 141.
19. Beck-da-Silva, L, Piardi, D, Soder, S, et al. (2013) IRON-HF study: a randomized trial to assess the effects of iron in heart failure patients with anemia. Int J Cardiol 168, 3439–3442.
20. Lewis, GD, Malhotra, R, Hernandez, AF, et al. (2017) Effect of oral iron repletion on exercise capacity in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction and iron deficiency: the IRONOUT HF randomized clinical trial. JAMA 317, 1958–1966.
21. Okonko, DO, Grzeslo, A, Witkowski, T, et al. (2008) Effect of intravenous iron sucrose on exercise tolerance in anemic and nonanemic patients with symptomatic chronic heart failure and iron deficiency FERRIC-HF: a randomized, controlled, observer-blinded trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 51, 103–112.
22. Ponikowski, P, van Veldhuisen, DJ, Comin-Colet, J, et al. (2015) Beneficial effects of long-term intravenous iron therapy with ferric carboxymaltose in patients with symptomatic heart failure and iron deficiency. Eur Heart J 36, 657–668.
23. Toblli, JE, Lombraña, A, Duarte, P, et al. (2007) Intravenous iron reduces NT-Pro-brain natriuretic peptide in anemic patients with chronic heart failure and renal insufficiency. J Am Coll Cardiol 50, 1657–1665.
24. van Veldhuisen, DJ, Ponikowski, P, van der Meer, P, et al. (2017) Effect of ferric carboxymaltose on exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failure and iron deficiency. Circulation 136, 1374–1383.
25. Suryani, LD, Raharjo, SB, Sagita, R, et al. (2017) Oral iron therapy improves functional capacity of heart failure patients with iron deficiency anaemia. Eur Heart J Suppl 19, E17–E17.
26. Ambrosy, AP, Fonarow, GC, Butler, J, et al. (2014) The global health and economic burden of hospitalizations for heart failure: lessons learned from hospitalized heart failure registries. J Am Coll Cardiol 63, 1123–1133.
27. Gheorghiade, M & Pang, PS (2009) Acute heart failure syndromes. J Am Coll Cardiol 53, 557–573.
28. Yancy, CW, Jessup, M, Bozkurt, B, et al. (2017) 2017 ACC/AHA/HFSA focused update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. Circulation 136, e137–e161.
29. Ponikowski, P, Voors, AA, Anker, SD, et al. (2016) 2016 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: the task force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 37, 2129–2200.
30. van Deursen, VM, Urso, R, Laroche, C, et al. (2014) Co-morbidities in patients with heart failure: an analysis of the European Heart Failure Pilot Survey. Eur J Heart Fail 16, 103–111.
31. von Haehling, S, Jankowska, EA, van Veldhuisen, DJ, et al. (2015) Iron deficiency and cardiovascular disease. Nat Rev Cardiol 12, 659–669.
32. Maeder, MT, Khammy, O, dos Remedios, C, et al. (2011) Myocardial and systemic iron depletion in heart failure implications for anemia accompanying heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 58, 474–480.
33. Ebner, N & von Haehling, S (2013) Iron deficiency in heart failure: a practical guide. Nutrients 5, 3730–3739.
34. Haas, JD & Brownlie, TT (2001) Iron deficiency and reduced work capacity: a critical review of the research to determine a causal relationship. J Nutr 131, 676S–688S; discussion 688S–690S.
35. Jankowska, EA, Rozentryt, P, Witkowska, A, et al. (2010) Iron deficiency: an ominous sign in patients with systolic chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J 31, 1872–1880.
36. Avni, T, Leibovici, L & Gafter-Gvili, A (2012) Iron supplementation for the treatment of chronic heart failure and iron deficiency: systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Heart Fail 14, 423–429.
37. Anker, SD & von Haehling, S (2012) Iron deficiency and anemia in heart failure. Chapter 3, 26–35.
38. Sandek, A, Bjarnason, I, Volk, HD, et al. (2012) Studies on bacterial endotoxin and intestinal absorption function in patients with chronic heart failure. Int J Cardiol 157, 80–85.
39. Ohno, Y, Hanawa, H, Jiao, S, et al. (2015) Liver congestion in heart failure contributes to inappropriately increased serum hepcidin despite anemia. Tohoku J Exp Med 235, 69–79.
40. Franchini, M, Montagnana, M & Lippi, G (2010) Hepcidin and iron metabolism: from laboratory to clinical implications. Clin Chim Acta 411, 1565–1569.
41. Ganz, T (2011) Hepcidin and iron regulation, 10 years later. Blood 117, 4425–4433.
42. Jankowska, EA, Malyszko, J, Ardehali, H, et al. (2013) Iron status in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J 34, 827–834.