1. Smolen, JS, Aletaha, D, Barton, A, et al. (2018) Rheumatoid arthritis. Nat Rev Dis Primers 4, 18001.
2. Ambrosino, P, Tasso, M, Lupoli, R, et al. (2015) Non-invasive assessment of arterial stiffness in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of literature studies. Ann Med 47, 457–467.
3. Lakatta, EG & Levy, D (2003) Arterial and cardiac aging: major shareholders in cardiovascular disease enterprises: part I: aging arteries: a “set up” for vascular disease. Circulation 107, 139–146.
4. Vlachopoulos, C, Gravos, A, Georgiopoulos, G, et al. (2018) The effect of TNF-α antagonists on aortic stiffness and wave reflections: a meta-analysis. Clin Rheumatol 37, 515–526.
5. Das, UN (2006) Essential fatty acids: biochemistry, physiology and pathology. Biotechnol J 1, 420–439.
6. Gioxari, A, Kaliora, AC, Marantidou, F, et al. (2018) Intake of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrition 45, 114–124.
7. Cleland, LG, Caughey, GE, James, MJ, et al. (2006) Reduction of cardiovascular risk factors with longterm fish oil treatment in early rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 33, 1973–1979.
8. Proudman, SM, James, MJ, Spargo, LD, et al. (2015) Fish oil in recent onset rheumatoid arthritis: a randomised, double-blind controlled trial within algorithm-based drug use. Ann Rheum Dis 74, 89–95.
9. Siasos, G, Tousoulis, D, Oikonomou, E, et al. (2013) Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on endothelial function, arterial wall properties, inflammatory and fibrinolytic status in smokers: a cross over study. Int J Cardiol 166, 340–346.
10. Tousoulis, D, Plastiras, A, Siasos, G, et al. (2014) Omega-3 PUFAs improved endothelial function and arterial stiffness with a parallel antiinflammatory effect in adults with metabolic syndrome. Atherosclerosis 232, 10–16.
11. O’Sullivan, TA, Ambrosini, G, Beilin, LJ, et al. (2011) Dietary intake and food sources of fatty acids in Australian adolescents. Nutrition 27, 153–159.
12. de Oliveira Otto, MC, Wu, JH, Baylin, A, et al. (2013) Circulating and dietary omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids and incidence of CVD in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. J Am Heart Assoc 2, e000506.
13. Ervin, RB, Wright, JD, Wang, CY, et al. (2004) Dietary intake of fats and fatty acids for the United States population: 1999–2000. Adv Data, issue 348, 1–6.
14. Goodman, LA (2002) Latent class analysis: the empirical study of latent types, latent variables, and latent structures. In Applied Latent Class Analysis, pp. 3–55 [JA Hagenaars and AL McCutcheon, editors]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
15. Muthen, B & Muthen, L (2000) Integrating person-centered and variable-centered analyses: growth mixture modeling with latent trajectory classes. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24, 882–891.
16. Mangoni, AA, Baghdadi, LR, Shanahan, EM, et al. (2017) Methotrexate, blood pressure and markers of arterial function in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a repeated cross-sectional study. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis 9, 213–229.
17. McEniery, CM, Yasmin, , Hall, IR, et al. (2005) Normal vascular aging: differential effects on wave reflection and aortic pulse wave velocity: the Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT). J Am Coll Cardiol 46, 1753–1760.
18. Aletaha, D, Neogi, T, Silman, AJ, et al. (2010) 2010 Rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria: an American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism collaborative initiative. Arthritis Rheum 62, 2569–2581.
19. O’Rourke, MF, Pauca, A & Jiang, XJ (2001) Pulse wave analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol 51, 507–522.
20. Hebden, L, Kostan, E, O’Leary, F, et al. (2013) Validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire as a measure of recent dietary intake in young adults. PLOS ONE 8, e75156.
21. Giles, C & Ireland, P (1996) Dietary Questionnaire for Epidemiological Studies (Version 2). Melbourne: Cancer Council Victoria.
23. Prevoo, ML, van’t Hof, MA, Kuper, HH, et al. (1995) Modified disease activity scores that include twenty-eight-joint counts. Development and validation in a prospective longitudinal study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 38, 44–48.
24. Palatini, P, Frigo, G, Bertolo, O, et al. (1998) Validation of the A&D TM-2430 device for ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and evaluation of performance according to subjects’ characteristics. Blood Press Monit 3, 255–260.
25. Pepys, MB & Hirschfield, GM (2003) C-reactive protein: a critical update. J Clin Invest 111, 1805–1812.
26. Otten, JJ, Hellwig, JP & Meyers, LD (2006) Dietary Reference Intakes: The Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
27. Hu, FB, Stampfer, MJ, Rimm, E, et al. (1999) Dietary fat and coronary heart disease: a comparison of approaches for adjusting for total energy intake and modeling repeated dietary measurements. Am J Epidemiol 149, 531–540.
28. Stanley, L, Kellermanns, FW & Zellweger, TM (2017) Latent profile analysis: understanding family firm profiles. Fam Bus Rev 30, 84–102.
29. Monahan, KD, Feehan, RP, Blaha, C, et al. (2015) Effect of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on central arterial stiffness and arterial wave reflections in young and older healthy adults. Physiol Rep 3, e12438.
30. Tomiyama, H, Matsumoto, C, Odaira, M, et al. (2011) Relationships among the serum omega fatty acid levels, serum C-reactive protein levels and arterial stiffness/wave reflection in Japanese men. Atherosclerosis 217, 433–436.
31. Gkaliagkousi, E, Anyfanti, P, Chatzimichailidou, S, et al. (2018) Association of nocturnal blood pressure patterns with inflammation and central and peripheral estimates of vascular health in rheumatoid arthritis. J Hum Hypertens 32, 259–267.
32. Desjardins, MP, Sidibe, A, Fortier, C, et al. (2018) Association of interleukin-6 with aortic stiffness in end-stage renal disease. J Am Soc Hypertens 12, 5–13.
33. Mori, TA & Woodman, RJ (2006) The independent effects of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on cardiovascular risk factors in humans. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 9, 95–104.
34. Kromhout, D, Yasuda, S, Geleijnse, JM, et al. (2012) Fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids in cardiovascular disease: do they really work? Eur Heart J 33, 436–443.
36. Calder, PC & Deckelbaum, RJ (2011) Harmful, harmless or helpful? The n-6 fatty acid debate goes on. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 14, 113–114.
37. Harris, WS, Mozaffarian, D, Rimm, E, et al. (2009) Omega-6 fatty acids and risk for cardiovascular disease: a science advisory from the American Heart Association Nutrition Subcommittee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism; Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; and Council on Epidemiology and Prevention. Circulation 119, 902–907.
38. Meyer, BJ (2016) Australians are not meeting the recommended intakes for omega-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids: results of an analysis from the 2011–2012 national nutrition and physical activity survey. Nutrients 8, 111.
39. Bondonno, NP, Bondonno, CP, Blekkenhorst, LC, et al. (2018) Flavonoid-rich apple improves endothelial function in individuals at risk for cardiovascular disease: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Mol Nutr Food Res 62, 1700674.
40. Fry, CM & Sanders, TA (2015) Vitamin D and risk of CVD: a review of the evidence. Proc Nutr Soc 74, 245–257.
41. Stringhini, S, Sabia, S, Shipley, M, et al. (2010) Association of socioeconomic position with health behaviors and mortality. JAMA 303, 1159–1166.
42. Knutsen, SF, Fraser, GE, Beeson, WL, et al. (2003) Comparison of adipose tissue fatty acids with dietary fatty acids as measured by 24-hour recall and food frequency questionnaire in Black and White Adventists: the Adventist Health Study. Ann Epidemiol 13, 119–127.