1. Forouhi, NG, Koulman, A, Sharp, SJ, et al. (2014) Differences in the prospective association between individual plasma phospholipid saturated fatty acids and incident type 2 diabetes: the epic-interact case–cohort study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2, 810–818.
2. Siri-Tarino, PW, Sun, Q, Hu, FB, et al. (2010) Saturated fat, carbohydrate, and cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 502–509.
3. Wang, L, Manson, JE, Forman, JP, et al. (2010) Dietary fatty acids and the risk of hypertension in middle-aged and older women. Hypertension 56, 598–604.
4. Calder, PC (2015) Functional roles of fatty acids and their effects on human health. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 39, 18S–32S.
5. Rocha, DM, Caldas, AP, Oliveira, LL, et al. (2016) Saturated fatty acids trigger TLR4-mediated inflammatory response. Atherosclerosis 244, 211–215.
6. Mayneris-Perxachs, J, Guerendiain, M, Castellote, AI, et al. (2014) Plasma fatty acid composition, estimated desaturase activities, and their relation with the metabolic syndrome in a population at high risk of cardiovascular disease. Clin Nutr 33, 90–97.
7. Kim, OY, Lim, HH, Lee, MJ, et al. (2013) Association of fatty acid composition in serum phospholipids with metabolic syndrome and arterial stiffness. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 23, 366–374.
8. Lemaitre, RN, Fretts, AM, Sitlani, CM, et al. (2015) Plasma phospholipid very-long-chain saturated fatty acids and incident diabetes in older adults: the cardiovascular health study. Am J Clin Nutr 101, 1047–1054.
9. Fernandez-Real, JM, Broch, M, Vendrell, J, et al. (2003) Insulin resistance, inflammation, and serum fatty acid composition. Diabetes Care 26, 1362–1368.
10. Fretts, AM, Mozaffarian, D, Siscovick, DS, et al. (2014) Plasma phospholipid saturated fatty acids and incident atrial fibrillation: the cardiovascular health study. J Am Heart Assoc 3, e000889.
11. Malik, VS, Chiuve, SE, Campos, H, et al. (2015) Circulating very-long chain saturated fatty acids and incident coronary heart disease in US men and women. Circulation 132, 260–268.
12. Chung, HK, Cho, Y, Do, HJ, et al. (2015) Plasma phospholipid arachidonic acid and lignoceric acid are associated with the risk of cardioembolic stroke. Nutr Res 35, 1001–1008.
13. Fretts, AM, Mozaffarian, D, Siscovick, DS, et al. (2016) Associations of plasma phospholipid SFAs with total and cause-specific mortality in older adults differ according to SFA chain length. J Nutr 146, 298–305.
14. Kihara, A (2012) Very long-chain fatty acids: elongation, physiology and related disorders. J Biochem 152, 387–395.
15. Yang, Y, Wang, G & Pan, X (2009) China Food Composition, 257–303. Beijing: Peking University Medical Press.
16. Pewzner-Jung, Y, Brenner, O, Braun, S, et al. (2010) A critical role for ceramide synthase 2 in liver homeostasis: II. Insights into molecular changes leading to hepatopathy. J Biol Chem 285, 10911–10923.
17. Samad, F, Badeanlou, L, Shah, C, et al. (2011) Adipose tissue and ceramide biosynthesis in the pathogenesis of obesity. Adv Exp Med Biol 721, 67–86.
18. Mielke, MM, Bandaru, VV, Haughey, NJ, et al. (2012) Serum ceramides increase the risk of Alzheimer disease: the women’s health and aging study II. Neurology 79, 633–641.
19. Choi, MJ & Maibach, HI (2005) Role of ceramides in barrier function of healthy and diseased skin. Am J Clin Dermatol 6, 215–223.
20. Grosch, S, Schiffmann, S & Geisslinger, G (2012) Chain length-specific properties of ceramides. Prog Lipid Res 51, 50–62.
21. Grundy, SM, Cleeman, JI, Daniels, SR, et al. (2005) Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement. Circulation 112, 2735–2752.
22. Sun, Q, Ma, J, Campos, H, et al. (2007) Comparison between plasma and erythrocyte fatty acid content as biomarkers of fatty acid intake in US women. Am J Clin Nutr 86, 74–81.
23. Han, X, Rozen, S, Boyle, SH, et al. (2011) Metabolomics in early Alzheimer’s disease: identification of altered plasma sphingolipidome using shotgun lipidomics. PLoS ONE 6, e21643.
24. Desquilbet, L & Mariotti, F (2010) Dose–response analyses using restricted cubic spline functions in public health research. Stat Med 29, 1037–1057.
25. Alhazmi, A, Stojanovski, E, Garg, ML, et al. (2014) Fasting whole blood fatty acid profile and risk of type 2 diabetes in adults: a nested case–control study. PLOS ONE 9, e97001.
26. Hata, J, Doi, Y, Ninomiya, T, et al. (2010) The effect of metabolic syndrome defined by various criteria on the development of ischemic stroke subtypes in a general Japanese population. Atherosclerosis 210, 249–255.
27. Nystrom, PK, Carlsson, AC, Leander, K, et al. (2015) Obesity, metabolic syndrome and risk of atrial fibrillation: a Swedish, prospective cohort study. PLOS ONE 10, e0127111.
28. Janczura, M, Bochenek, G, Nowobilski, R, et al. (2015) The relationship of metabolic syndrome with stress, coronary heart disease and pulmonary function – an occupational cohort-based study. PLOS ONE 10, e0133750.
29. Chavez, JA & Summers, SA (2012) A ceramide-centric view of insulin resistance. Cell Metab 15, 585–594.
30. Galadari, S, Rahman, A, Pallichankandy, S, et al. (2013) Role of ceramide in diabetes mellitus: evidence and mechanisms. Lipids Health Dis 12, 98.
31. Summers, SA (2006) Ceramides in insulin resistance and lipotoxicity. Prog Lipid Res 45, 42–72.
32. Wang, Y-X, Lee, C-H, Tiep, S, et al. (2003) Peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor δ activates fat metabolism to prevent obesity. Cell 113, 159–170.
33. Li, TY, Brennan, AM, Wedick, NM, et al. (2009) Regular consumption of nuts is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease in women with type 2 diabetes. J Nutr 139, 1333–1338.
34. Ohno, Y, Suto, S, Yamanaka, M, et al. (2010) Elovl1 production of c24 acyl-coas is linked to c24 sphingolipid synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107, 18439–18444.
35. Baik, I & Shin, C (2008) Prospective study of alcohol consumption and metabolic syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr 87, 1455–1463.
36. Brenna JT, Plourde M, Stark KD, et al. (2018) Best practices for the design, laboratory analysis, and reporting of trials involving fatty acids. Am J Clin Nutr (epublication ahead of print version 21 June 2018).
37. Chang, J & Wang, Y (2016) Chinese Residents of Nutrition and Health Condition Monitoring 2012–2013, pp. 108–128. Beijing: Peking Medical University Press.