Skip to main content Accessibility help
×
Home

A Roman road from the Long Mountain to Dolgellau and some Branches

  • John Rigg (a1) and Hugh Toller (a2)

Abstract

Within the area between Tomen-y-Mur and Erglodd and eastwards across Wales to the Whitchurch-Wroxeter-Leintwardine Roman road, there are II known forts or fortlets, but little is known of the road-system which serviced them. The latest edition of the Map of Roman Britain shows only parts of the road from Wroxeter to Caersws via Forden Gaer and fragments of other roads, although the Chester road from Caer Gai to Brithdir is sufficiently well defined to merit inclusion.

Copyright

References

Hide All

1 Ordnance Survey, Map of Roman Britain: Fourth Edition (1978).

2 Jones, G. D. B., The Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies xviii (1960), 208–20.

3 Ogilby, J., Britannia, volume the first: or an illustration of the Kingdom of England and Dominion of Wales: by a geographical and historical description of the principal roads thereof (London, 1675), 173 and plate 87.

4 As shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey one-inch map (republished 1970 by David and Charles Ltd. copy of 1892, roads as 1816–34).

5 R. Prys Morris, Cantref Meirionydd (1890).

6 Ordnance Survey, Archaeology Division: record card SH71NE6.

Metrics

Full text views

Total number of HTML views: 0
Total number of PDF views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

Abstract views

Total abstract views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

* Views captured on Cambridge Core between <date>. This data will be updated every 24 hours.

Usage data cannot currently be displayed