The theatre at Verulamium, near St. Albans, Hertfordshire, was first discovered in 1847, when a farmer called the attention of a local antiquary, Mr. R. Grove Lowe, to some walls in a field adjoining the Gorhambury Drive. Mr. Grove Lowe succeeded in tracing the main walls of the structure and identifying it as a theatre. For its period, the excavation was excellently carried out, but neither the chronology nor the structural history of the building was ascertained. Neither in 1847, nor during slight trenching subsequently, was anything done beyond uncovering the line of the walls, and it was clear that the original stratigraphical evidence had not been destroyed. It was obviously important that this building, the only known Roman theatre in Britain, should be further examined, and its date, exact position, and plan established. In 1933, therefore, the Earl of Verulam, the owner of the property, was approached. Both he and Lady Verulam at once realized the interest and importance of the site, and not only gave permission for the excavation to be carried out, but on his initiative the Gorhambury estates most generously provided the funds for what was necessarily an expensive undertaking. For this far-sighted and publicspirited action, and for the decision to have the theatre kept uncovered, both archaeologists and the general public owe Lord Verulam a permanent debt.