The Romano-British settlement at Grandford lies northwest of the town of March, in the heart of the Fens of eastern England. It straddles the ‘Fen Causeway’, a Roman road that ran west—east across the Fens, and which probably originated at the legionary vexillation fortress at Longthorpe, near Peterborough, held between c. AD 48 and 61/62. Small-scale excavations between 1958 and 1968 demonstrated occupation for much of the Roman period, down to the later 4th century, beginning at least as early as c. AD 65 (Potter & Potter 1982). It was suggested on various grounds that the settlement niay have started life as a Roman fort, constructed in the aftermath of the great rebellion of AD 60-61, led by Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni (Potter 1981: 85-7).
* Views captured on Cambridge Core between <date>. This data will be updated every 24 hours.
Usage data cannot currently be displayed