- ISSN: 0003-1615 (Print), 1533-6247 (Online)
- Editors: John Schwaller University at Albany-SUNY, USA and John F. Schwaller SUNY Albany, USA
- Editorial board
The Americas has been one of the principal English-language journals of Latin American history since 1944. Articles and reviews in history and ethnohistory about all geographical regions of the Americas and their Iberian background are included. Topics dealing with the economic, political, cultural, social, religious, diplomatic or intellectual history of Latin America, the Atlantic World, and the U.S.-Mexican Borderlands, and research that places these themes in a comparative framework, are welcome.
Scott Cave, Winner of the 2018 Tibesar Prize
The 2018 Tibesar Prize from the Conference on Latin American History and The Americas has been awarded to Scott Cave for his ground-breaking article (Madalena: The Entangled History of One Indigenous Floridian Woman in the Atlantic World). Read the 'best article' in The Americas from the previous year for free here!
- Mobile armed mobs in deadly riots
- 16 April 2019,
- Experts on ethnic riots agree that the ethnic composition of localities affects their susceptibility to violence. They are however divided on which are more...
- One British Thing: A Bottle of Welfare Orange Juice
- 28 March 2019,
- What does an empty bottle of concentrated orange juice have to do with colonialism? Some of you may remember the Welfare Orange Juice that the British government provided to pregnant women and young children from the middle of the Second World War until 1971.…...
- Why (not) Feathers? Period Hands and Material Encounters in Colonial Peru
- 21 February 2019,
- My article on feather-work in colonial Peru shows, above all, that we should no longer differentiate between non-literate (material) Native Americans with feathers...
- The Partition of Ireland: 1918-1925
- 19 April 2019,
- The partition of Ireland between the years 1918 and 1925 was arguably the most significant event in modern Irish history. From the ‘Troubles’ to Brexit, the...
- Trade, Trump, and Brexit
- 18 April 2019,
- As an American, I can’t help but read the slow-motion drama that is Brexit through the lens of the 2016 Trump election. Each is a referendum on a half-century...
- International Judicial Practice on the Environment: Questions of Legitimacy
- 17 April 2019,
- The number of environmental cases brought before international courts (ICs) is rising. How deal these courts with environmental laws, how well do they protect...