1. Jakobsen, JC, Katakam, KK, Schou, A, Hellmuth, SG, Stallknecht, SE, Leth-Møller, K, Iversen, M, Banke, MB, Petersen, IJ, Klingenberg, SL, Krogh, J, Ebert, SE, Timm, A, Lindschou, J, Gluud, C. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors versus placebo in patients with major depressive disorder. A systematic review with meta-analysis and Trial Sequential Analysis. BMC Psychiatry 2017;17:58.
2. Hieronymus, F, Lisinski, A, Naslund, J, Eriksson, E. Multiple possible inaccuracies cast doubt on a recent report suggesting selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors to be toxic and ineffective. Acta Neuropsychiatr 2017;1–7. https://doi.org/10.1017/neu.2017.23 [Epub ahead of print].
3. Katakam, KK, Sethi, NJ, Jakobsen, JC, Gluud, C. Great boast, small roast on effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: response to a critique of our systematic review. Acta Neuropsychiatr 2018; 1–15 [Epub ahead of print].
6. Cipriani, A, Furukawa, TA, Salanti, G, Chaimani, A, Atkinson, LZ, Ogawa, Y, Leucht, S, Ruhe, HG, Turner, EH, Higgins, JPT, Egger, M, Takeshima, N, Hayasaka, Y, Imai, H, Shinohara, K, Tajika, A, Ioannidis, JPA, Geddes, JR. Comparative efficacy and acceptability of 21 antidepressant drugs for the acute treatment of adults with major depressive disorder: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Lancet 2018; 391:1357–1366.
7. Adamson, SJ, Sellman, JD, Foulds, JA, Frampton, CM, Deering, D, Dunn, A, Berks, J, Nixon, L, Cape, G. A randomized trial of combined citalopram and naltrexone for nonabstinent outpatients with co-occurring alcohol dependence and major depression. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2015;35:143–149.
8. Pettinati, HM, Oslin, DW, Kampman, KM, Dundon, WD, Xie, H, Gallis, TL, Dackis, CA, O’Brien, CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial combining sertraline and naltrexone for treating co-occurring depression and alcohol dependence. Am J Psychiatry 2010;167:668–675.
9. Detke, MJ, Wiltse, CG, Mallinckrodt, CH, McNamara, RK, Demitrack, MA, Bitter, I. Duloxetine in the acute and long-term treatment of major depressive disorder: a placebo- and paroxetine-controlled trial. Eur Neuropsychopharm 2004;14:457–470.
12. Feighner, JP, Overo, K. Multicenter, placebo-controlled, fixed-dose study of citalopram in moderate-to-severe depression. J Clin Psychiatry 1999;60:824–830.
13. Claghorn, JL, Earl, CQ, Walczak, DD, Stoner, KA, Wong, LF, Kanter, D, Houser, VP. Fluvoxamine maleate in the treatment of depression: a single-center, double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison with imipramine in outpatients. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1996;16:113–120.
14. Wernicke, JF, Dunlop, SR, Dornseif, BE, Bosomworth, JC, Humbert, M. Low-dose fluoxetine therapy for depression. Psychopharmacol Bull 1988;24:183–188.
17. Ball, WA, Snavely, DB, Hargreaves, RJ, Szegedi, A, Lines, C, Reines, SA. Addition of an NK1 receptor antagonist to an SSRI did not enhance the antidepressant effects of SSRI monotherapy: results from a randomized clinical trial in patients with major depressive disorder. Hum Psychopharmacol 2014;29:568–577.
28. Keller, M, Montgomery, S, Ball, W, Morrison, M, Snavely, D, Liu, G, Hargreaves, R, Hietala, J, Lines, C, Beebe, K, Reines, S. Lack of efficacy of the substance p (neurokinin1 receptor) antagonist aprepitant in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Biol Psychiatry 2006;59:216–223.
29. Liu, KS, Snavely, DB, Ball, WA, Lines, CR, Reines, SA, Potter, WZ. Is bigger better for depression trials? J Psychiatr Res 2008;42:622–630.
30. Pharmacia&Upjohn. Reboxetine, placebo, and paroxetine comparison in patients with major depressive disorder: a phase III, randomized, double-blind, placebo- and active-treatment-controlled, parallel-group, 8-week study of reboxetine, given orally twice daily to adult patients with major depressive disorder; final report of the study protocol M/2020/0046, 2001. Available at http://www.iqwig.de/download/Studie_046.pdf. Accessed April 5, 2018.
31. Pharmacia&Upjohn. Reboxetine, placebo, and paroxetine comparison in patients with major depressive disorder: a phase III, randomized, double-blind, placebo- and active-treatment-controlled, parallel-group, 8-week study of reboxetine, given orally twice daily to adult patients with major depressive disorder: final report of the study protocol M/2020/0047, 2001. Available at http://www.iqwig.de/download/Studie_047.pdf. Accessed April 5, 2018.
32. Pharmacia&Upjohn. Reboxetine (PNU-155950E) versus placebo and fluoxetine in a controlled, randomized, double-blind, multicenter study of treatment in major depressive disorders: final report of the study protocol 97-CRBX-050, 2001. Available at http://www.iqwig.de/download/Studie_050.pdf. Accessed April 5, 2018.
33. Eyding, D, Lelgemann, M, Grouven, U, Härter, M, Kromp, M, Kaiser, T, Kerekes, MF, Gerken, M, Wieseler, B. Reboxetine for acute treatment of major depression: systematic review and meta-analysis of published and unpublished placebo and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor controlled trials. BMJ 2010;341:c4737.
34. Massana, J. Reboxetine versus fluoxetine: an overview of efficacy and tolerability. J Clin Psychiatry 1998;59:8–10.
36. Gastpar, M, Singer, A, Zeller, K. Comparative efficacy and safety of a once-daily dosage of hypericum extract STW3-VI and citalopram in patients with moderate depression: a double-blind, randomised, multicentre, placebo-controlled study. Pharmacopsychiatry 2006;39:66–75.
41. Sweeting, MJ, Sutton, AJ, Lambert, PC. What to add to nothing? Use and avoidance of continuity corrections in meta-analysis of sparse data. Stat Med 2004;23:1351–1375.
42. Kranzler, HR, Mueller, T, Cornelius, J, Pettinati, HM, Moak, D, Martin, PR, Anthenelli, R, Brower, KJ, O’Malley, S, Mason, BJ, Hasin, D, Keller, M. Sertraline treatment of co-occurring alcohol dependence and major depression. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2006;26:13–20.
43. Byerley, WF, Reimherr, FW, Wood, DR, Grosser, BI. Fluoxetine, a selective serotonin uptake inhibitor, for the treatment of outpatients with major depression. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1988;8:112–115.
44. Cohn, JB, Wilcox, C. A comparison of fluoxetine, imipramine, and placebo in patients with major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 1985;46(Pt 2):26–31.
45. Itil, TM, Shrivastava, RK, Mukherjee, S, Coleman, BS, Michael, ST A double-blind placebo-controlled study of fluvoxamine and imipramine in out-patients with primary depression. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1983;15(Suppl 3):433S–438SS.
46. Olie, J, Gunn, K, Katz, E. A double-blind placebo-controlled multicentre study of sertraline in the acute and continuation treatment of major depression. Eur Psychiatry 1997;12:34–41.
47. Sramek, JJ, Kashkin, K, Jasinsky, O, Kardatzke, D, Kennedy, S, Cutler, NR. Placebo-controlled study of ABT-200 versus fluoxetine in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Depression 1995;3:199–203.
48. Ravindran, AV, Teehan, MD, Bakish, D, Yatham, L, O’Reilly, R, Fernando, ML, Manchanda, R, Charbonneau, Y, Buttars, J. The impact of sertraline, desipramine, and placebo on psychomotor functioning in depression. Hum Psychopharmacol 1995;10:273–281.
50. Mancino, MJ, McGaugh, J, Chopra, MP, Guise, JB, Cargile, C, Williams, DK, Thostenson, J, Kosten, TR, Sanders, N, Oliveto, A. Clinical efficacy of sertraline alone and augmented with gabapentin in recently abstinent cocaine-dependent patients with depressive symptoms. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2014;34:234–239.
52. Timmerby, N, Andersen, JH, Sondergaard, S, Ostergaard, SD, Bech, P. A systematic review of the clinimetric properties of the 6-item version of the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAM-D6). Psychother Psychosom 2017;86:141–149.
53. Jakobsen, JC, Simonsen, E, Rasmussen, KB, Gluud, C. Is the total score of the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale associated with suicide attempts or suicides? Br J Med Med Res 2013;3:140–152.
54. Hieronymus, F, Emilsson, JF, Nilsson, S, Eriksson, E. Consistent superiority of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors over placebo in reducing depressed mood in patients with major depression. Mol Psychiatry 2016;21:523–530.
55. Jakobsen, JC, Nielsen, EE, Feinberg, J, Katakam, KK, Fobian, K, Hauser, G, Poropat, G, Djurisic, S, Weiss, KH, Bjelakovic, M, Bjelakovic, G, Klingenberg, SL, Liu, JP, Nikolova, D, Koretz, RL, Gluud, C. Direct-acting antivirals for chronic hepatitis C. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;9:CD012143.