1. , . Prevalence, incidence, and factors associated with pre-stroke and post-stroke dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Neurol 2009; 8:1006–18.
2. , . Lifetime risk of stroke and dementia: current concepts, and estimates from the Framingham Study. Lancet Neurol 2007; 6:1106–14.
3. , . Treatment and secondary prevention of stroke: evidence, costs, and effects on individuals and populations. Lancet 1999; 354:1457–63.
4. , , , , . Influence of cognitive impairment on the institutionalisation rate 3 years after a stroke. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007; 78:56–9.
5. , , , . Poststroke dementia. Lancet Neurol 2005; 4:752–9.
6. , , , et al. The size and burden of mental disorders and other disorders of the brain in Europe 2010. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2011; 21:655–79.
7. , , , . Mixed brain pathologies account for most dementia cases in community-dwelling older persons. Neurology 2007; 69:2197–204.
8. , , , et al. Pathological correlates of dementia in a longitudinal, population-based sample of aging. Ann Neurol 2007; 62:406–13.
9. , , , et al. Age, neuropathology, and dementia. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:2302–9.
10. , , , et al. Epidemiological pathology of dementia: attributable-risks at death in the Medical Research Council Cognitive Function and Ageing Study. PLoS Med 2009; 6:e1000180.
11. , , , et al. Previous and incident dementia as risk factors for mortality in stroke patients. Stroke 2002; 33:1993–8.
12. , , , , . Influence of prestroke dementia on early and delayed mortality in stroke patients. J Neurol 2003; 250:10–16.
13. , , , et al. Poststroke dementia is associated with recurrent ischemic stroke. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2013; 84:722–6.
14. , , , et al. The prognostic effects of poststroke cognitive impairment no dementia and domain-specific cognitive impairments in nondisabled ischemic stroke patients. Stroke 2011; 42:883–8.
15. . Prediction of length of stay for stroke patients. Acta Neurol Scand 2007; 116:15–19.
16. , , , et al. Poststroke dementia predicts poor survival in long-term follow-up: influence of prestroke cognitive decline and previous stroke. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2009; 80:865–70.
17. , , , , . Alzheimer disease and risk of stroke: a population-based cohort study. Neurology 2013; 80:705–11.
18. , , , . Increasing rates of dementia at time of declining mortality from stroke. Stroke 2006; 37:1155–9.
19. , , , et al. Change in stroke incidence, mortality, case-fatality, severity, and risk factors in Oxfordshire, UK from 1981 to 2004 (Oxford Vascular Study). Lancet 2004; 363:1925–33.
20. , , , , . Cognitive impairment and dementia 20 months after stroke. Neuroepidemiology 2004; 23:45–52.
21. , , , et al. The combined effect of age, education, and stroke on dementia and cognitive impairment no dementia in the elderly. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2007; 24:266–73.
22. , , , et al. Stroke, disability, and dementia: results of a population survey. Stroke 1997; 28:531–6.
23. , , , . The effect of different diagnostic criteria on the prevalence of dementia. N Engl J Med 1997; 337:1667–74.
24. , , , et al. What are the causes of pre-existing dementia in patients with intracerebral haemorrhages? Brain 2010; 133:3281–9.
25. , . Epidemiological studies of the effect of stroke on incident dementia: a systematic review. Stroke 2010; 41:e41–6.
26. , , , et al. Dementia after stroke: the Framingham Study. Stroke 2004; 35:1264–8.
27. , , , et al. Progressive dementia after first-ever stroke: a community-based follow-up study. Neurology 2004; 63:785–92.
28. , , , et al. Educational history is an independent predictor of cognitive deficits and long-term survival in postacute patients with mild to moderate ischemic stroke. Stroke 2012; 43:2931–5.
29. , , , , . Joint effect of stroke and APOE 4 on dementia risk: the Canadian Study of Health and Aging. Neurology 2008; 70:9–16.
30. , , , et al. Poststroke dementia: incidence and relationship to prestroke cognitive decline. Neurology 2001; 57:1216–22.
31. , , , , . Demographic and CT scan features related to cognitive impairment in the first year after stroke. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004; 75:1562–7.
32. , . Why are stroke patients prone to develop dementia? J Neurol 1997; 244:135–42.
33. , , . Relevance of white matter changes to pre- and poststroke dementia. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000; 903:466–9.
34. , , , , . Leukoaraiosis more than dementia is a predictor of stroke recurrence. Stroke 2003; 34:2935–40.
35. , , , et al. White matter hyperintensities as a predictor of neuropsychological deficits post-stroke. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatr. 2005; 76:1229–33.
36. , , . Spontaneous brain microbleeds: systematic review, subgroup analyses and standards for study design and reporting. Brain 2007; 130:1988–2003.
37. , , , et al. Prevalence and severity of microbleeds in a memory clinic setting. Neurology 2006; 66:1356–60.
38. , , , et al. Microbleeds and post-stroke emotional lability. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2009; 80:1082–6.
39. , , , et al. Cognitive dysfunction in patients with cerebral microbleeds on T2*-weighted gradient-echo MRI. Brain 2004; 127:2265–75.
40. , , , , . Hemorrhage burden predicts recurrent intracerebral hemorrhage after lobar hemorrhage. Stroke 2004; 35:1415–20.
41. , . Vascular dementia: an Australian perspective. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 1999; 13 (Suppl 3):S206–12.
42. , , , et al. Cerebral infarcts and cognitive performance: importance of location and number of infarcts. Stroke 2009; 40:677–82.
43. , , , et al. Prediction of poststroke dementia. Neurology 2003; 61:343–8.
44. , , , et al. Frequency and determinants of poststroke dementia in Chinese. Stroke 2004; 35:930–5.
45. , , , et al. Clinicopathological validation study of four sets of clinical criteria for vascular dementia. Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159:82–7.
46. , , , et al. Brain infarction and the clinical expression of Alzheimer disease. The Nun Study. JAMA 1997; 277:813–17.
47. , , , et al. Prevention of dementia in randomised double-blind placebo-controlled Systolic Hypertension in Europe (Syst-Eur) trial. Lancet 1998; 352:1347–51.
48. , , , et al. Dementia after stroke increases the risk of long-term stroke recurrence. Neurology 1997; 48:1317–25.
49. , , , et al. Cognitive impairment in lacunar strokes: the SPS3 trial. Ann Neurol 2012; 72:351–62.
50. , , , et al. Long-term treatment with citicoline may improve poststroke vascular cognitive impairment. Cerebrovasc Dis 2013; 35:146–54.