1. , , , et al. Prevalence, age distribution, and gender of patients with atrial fibrillation. Arch Intern Med 1995; 155:469–73.
2. , , , . Epidemiologic assessment of chronic atrial fibrillation and risk of stroke: The Framingham Study. Neurology 1978; 28:973–7.
3. , , , et al. Stroke patients with atrial fibrillation have a worse prognosis than patients without: data from the Austrian Stroke registry. Eur Heart J 2004; 25:1734–40.
4. , , , et al. Non-invasive cardiac monitoring for detecting paroxysmal atrial fibrillation or flutter after acute ischemic stroke. A systematic review. Stroke 2007; 38:2935–40.
5. , , , et al. Frequent atrial premature beats predict paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in stroke patients. An opportunity for a new diagnostic strategy. Stroke 2007; 38:2292–4.
6. , , . Serial electrocardiographic assessments significantly improve detection of atrial fibrillation 2.6-fold in patients with acute stroke. Stroke 2008; 39:480–2.
7. , , , et al. A 30-day cardiac event monitor belt for recording paroxysmal atrial fibrillation after a cerebral ischemic event. The EMBRACE Pilot Study. Stroke 2008; 39:571–2.
8. , , , et al. Incidence of atrial fibrillation detected by implantable loop recorders in unexplained stroke. Neurology 2013; 80:1546–50.
9. , , , et al. Percutaneous closure of the left atrial appendage versus warfarin therapy for prevention of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation: a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 2009; 374:534–42.
10. , , , et al. Percutaneous left atrial appendage closure for stroke prophylaxis in patients with atrial fibrillation: 2.3-Year Follow-up of the PROTECT AF (Watchman Left Atrial Appendage System for Embolic Protection in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation) Trial. Circulation 2013; 127:720–9.
11. , , , et al. Transesophageal echocardiography to assess embolic risk in patients with atrial fibrillation. Ann Intern Med 1998; 128:630–8.
12. , , . Elimination of the left atrial appendage to prevent stroke or embolism? Anatomic, physiologic, and pathophysiologic considerations. Chest 2003; 124:2356–62.
13. , , , et al. Atrial natriuretic peptide contributes to physiological control of lipid mobilization in humans. FASEB J 2004; 18:908–10.
14. , , , et al. Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: are results maintained at 5 years of follow-up? J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 57:160–6.
15. , , , et al. Predictors of early and late recurrence of atrial fibrillation after catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 2004; 10:221–6.
16. , , , et al. Perception of atrial fibrillation before and after radiofrequency catheter ablation: relevance of asymptomatic arrhythmia recurrence. Circulation 2005; 112:307–13.
17. . Cerebrogenic cardiac arrhythmias: cortical lateralization and clinical significance. Clin Auton Res 2006; 16:6–11.
18. , , , et al. The morphology of the QT interval predicts torsade de pointes during acquired bradyarrhythmias. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49:320–8.
19. , , , et al. Insular involvement is associated with QT prolongation: ECG abnormalities in patients with acute stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 2006; 21:47–53.
20. , , . Electrocardiographic and troponin T changes in acute ischemic stroke. J Intern Med 2006; 259:592–7.
21. , , , et al. Risk of myocardial infarction or vascular death after first ischemic stroke. The Northern Manhattan Study. Stroke 2007; 38:1752–8.
22. , , , et al. Autopsy prevalence of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with fatal stroke. Stroke 2007; 38:1203–10.
23. , , , et al. Five-year survival after first-ever stroke and related prognostic factors in the Perth Community Stroke Study. Stroke 2000; 31:2080–6.
24. , , , et al. Elevated troponin levels are associated with sympathoadrenal activation in acute ischemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 2007; 23:260–6.
25. , , , et al. Frequency and significance of troponin T elevation in acute ischemic stroke. Am J Cardiol 2007; 99:108–12.
26. , , . Cardiac and noncardiac, particularly neuromuscular, disease with troponin-T positivity. Neth J Med 2007; 65:289–95.
27. , . Embolic potential, prevention and management of mural thrombus complicating anterior myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993; 22:1004–9.
28. , , . Predictors of left ventricular thrombus formation in acute myocardial infarction treated with successful primary angioplasty with stenting. Am J Med Sci 2008; 335:171–6.
29. , , , et al. The relationship between the initiation of antimicrobial therapy and the incidence of stroke in infective endocarditis: an analysis from the ICE prospective cohort study (ICE-PCS). Am Heart J 2007; 154:1086–94.
30. , , , et al. The risk of stroke and death in patients with aortic and mitral valve endocarditis. Am Heart J 2001; 142:75–80.
31. , , , et al. Stroke location, characterization, severity, and outcome in mitral vs aortic valve endocarditis. Neurology 2003; 61:1341–6.
32. , , , et al. Impact of cerebrovascular complications on mortality and neurologic outcome during infective endocarditis: a prospective multicentre study. Eur Heart J 2007; 28:1155–61.
33. , , , et al. Contemporary clinical profile and outcome of prosthetic valve endocarditis. JAMA 2007; 297:1354–61.
34. , , , et al. Clinical outcome and echocardiographic findings of native and prosthetic valve endocarditis in the 1990s. Eur Heart J 1996; 17:281–8.
35. , , , et al. Neurological outcome of septic cardioembolic stroke after infective endocarditis. Stroke 2006; 37:2094–9.
36 , , , et al. Influence of the timing of cardiac surgery on the outcome of patients with infective endocarditis and stroke. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56:209–17.
37. , , , et al. Late incidence and determinants of stroke after aortic and mitral valve replacement. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78:77–84.
38. , , , et al. Thromboembolic complications after surgical correction of mitral regurgitation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51:1203–11.
39. , , , et al. Mechanical versus bioprosthetic valve replacement in middle-aged patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2006; 30:485–91.
40. , , , et al. Our inability to predict thromboembolic events after prosthetic valve surgery. J Heart Valve Dis 2006; 15:570–80.
41. , , , et al. Interobserver and intraobserver variability in detection of patent foramen ovale and atrial septal aneurysm with transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2002; 15:441–6.
42. , , , et al. Prevalence of patent foramen ovale in patients with stroke. N Engl J Med 1988; 318:1148–52.
43. , , , et al. Clinical and imaging findings in cryptogenic stroke patients with and without patent foramen ovale. The PFO-ASA Study. Stroke 2002; 33:706–11.
44. , , , et al.; . Effect of medical treatment in stroke patients with patent foramen ovale. Patent Foramen Ovale in Cryptogenic Stroke Study. Circulation 2002; 105:2625–31.
45. , , , et al. Patent foramen ovale and the risk of ischemic stroke in a multiethnic population. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49:797–802.
46. , , , et al. Patent foramen ovale: innocent or guilty? Evidence from a prospective population-based study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 47:440–5.
47. , , , et al. Closure or medical therapy for cryptogenic stroke with patent foramen ovale. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:991–9.
48. , , , et al. Closure of patent foramen ovale versus medical therapy after cryptogenic stroke. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1092–100.
49. , , , et al. Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale in cryptogenic embolism. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1083–91.
50. , , , et al. Short and long term complications of device closure of atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale: meta-analysis of 28,142 patients from 203 studies. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2013; 82:1123–38. doi: 10.1002/ccd.24875.
51. , , , et al. Stroke and peripheral embolism from an Amplatzer septal occluder 5 years after implantation. J Neurol 2008; 255:1270–1.
52. , . Clinical and genetic issues in familial dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45:969–81.
53. . Anticoagulant treatment and dilated cardiomyopathy. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 1995; 88(Suppl 4):617–21.
54. , 4th, , et al. Prognostic usefulness of left ventricular thrombus by echocardiography in dilated cardiomyopathy in predicting stroke, transient ischemic attack, and death. Am J Cardiol 2004; 93:500–3.
55. , , . Therapy implications of transthoracic echocardiography in acute ischemic stroke patients. Stroke 2005; 36:1565–6.
56. , , , et al. Two cases of Duchenne muscular dystrophy complicated with dilated cardiomyopathy and cerebral infarction. No To Shinkei 2006; 58:250–5.
57. , . Antithrombotic and interventional treatment options in cardioembolic transient ischemic attack and ischemic stroke. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007; 78:14–24.
58. , , , et al. Warfarin and aspirin in patients with heart failure and sinus rhythm. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1859–69.
59. , . Extracardiac medical and neuromuscular implications in restrictive cardiomyopathy. Clin Cardiol 2007; 30:375–80.
60. , . Restrictive cardiomyopathy. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2000; 2:431–8.
61. , , , et al. Cardiac diseases as a risk factor for stroke in Saudi children. Saudi Med J 2006; 27(Suppl 1):S61–8.
62. , , , et al. AL cardiac amyloidosis and arterial thromboembolic events. Scand J Rheumatol 2005; 34:315–19.
63. , , . Tako-tsubo-like left ventricular dysfunction: clinical presentation, instrumental findings, additional cardiac and non-cardiac diseases and potential pathomechanisms. Minerva Cardioangiol 2005; 53:139–45.
64. , , , et al. Assessment of clinical features in transient left ventricular apical ballooning. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003; 41:737–42.
65. , , , et al. Apical ballooning syndrome or takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a systematic review. Eur Heart J 2006; 27:1523–9.
66. , , , et al. Molecular mechanism of emotional stress-induced and catecholamine-induced heart attack. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2003; 41(Suppl 1):S115–18.
67. , , , et al. Apical ballooning (Takotsubo syndrome) in mitochondrial disorder during mechanical ventilation. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 2007; 8:859–63.
68. , , , et al. Stress cardiomyopathy (tako-tsubo) triggered by nervous system diseases: A systematic review of the reported cases. Int J Cardiol 2013; 167:2441–8.
69. , , , et al. Thromboembolism in Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. Int J Cardiol 2010; 139:98–100.
70. , . Left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2004; 17:91–100.
71. , , , et al. Prognosis of left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction is dependent on cardiac and neuromuscular comorbidity. Int J Cardiol 2007; 121:189–93.
72. , , . Left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction and association with additional cardiac abnormalities and neuromuscular disorders. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90:899–902.
73. , , . Prevalence of Barth syndrome in adult left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction. Scand Cardiovasc J 2008; 42:157–60.
74. , , , et al. Frequency of stroke and embolism in left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction. Am J Cardiol 2011; 108:1021–3.
75. , , . Endomyocardial fibrosis: still a mystery after 60 years. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2008; 2:e97.
76. , , , et al. Multiple microembolic borderzone brain infarctions and endomyocardial fibrosis in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome and in Schistosoma mansoni infestation. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004; 75:305–7.
77. , , , et al. Paradoxical cerebral embolism with a patent foramen ovale. A report of 29 patients. Cerebrovasc Dis 1991; 1:193–202.
78. , , , et al. The prevalence of deep venous thrombosis in patients with suspected paradoxical embolism. Ann Intern Med 1993; 119:461–5.
79. , , , et al. Patent foramen ovale: is stroke due to paradoxical embolism? Stroke 1993; 24:31–4.
80. , , , et al. Paradoxical embolism as a cause of ischemic stroke of uncertain etiology. A transcranial Doppler sonographic study. Stroke 1994; 25:771–5.
81. , , , et al. Patent foramen ovale and brain infarct. Echocardiographic predictors, recurrence, and prevention. Stroke 1994; 25:782–6.
82. , , . Transesophageal echocardiography and contrast-TCD in the detection of a patent foramen ovale: experiences with 111 patients. Neurology 1994; 44:1603–6.
83. . Foramen ovale perméable et embolie paradoxale: une hypothèse controversée. Rev Neurol (Paris) 1994; 150:282–5.
84. , , , et al. Frequency of deep vein thrombosis in patients with patent foramen ovale and ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack. Am J Cardiol 1997; 80:1066–9.
85. , , , et al. Increased pelvic vein thrombi in cryptogenic stroke. Results of the Paradoxical Emboli from Large Veins in Ischemic Stroke (PELVIS) Study. Stroke 2004; 35:46–50.