1. , , , et al. Restless legs syndrome: diagnostic criteria, special considerations, and epidemiology. A report from the restless legs syndrome diagnosis and epidemiology workshop at the National Institutes of Health. Sleep Med 2003; 4: 101–19.
2. , , , et al. Restless legs syndrome prevalence and impact: REST general population study. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165: 1286–92.
3. , , . Prevalence of restless legs syndrome in North American and Western European populations: a systematic review. Sleep Med 2011; 12: 623–34.
4. , , , et al. A propos de quelques manifestations nocturnes myocloniques (nocturnal myoclonus de Symonds). Rev Neurol 1966; 115: 547–55.
5. . Diagnostic and Coding Manual. 2nd edn. Westchester, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2005.
6. , , , et al. Poststroke restless legs syndrome and lesion location: anatomical considerations. Mov Disord 2009; 24: 77–84.
7. , , , et al. Prevalence of stroke in restless legs syndrome: initial results point to the need for more sophisticated studies. Open Neurol J 2010; 4: 73–7.
8. , , , et al. Do restless legs syndrome (RLS) and periodic limb movements of sleep (PLMS) play a role in nocturnal hypertension and increased cardiovascular risk of renally impaired patients?Chronobiol Int 2009; 26: 1206–21.
9. , , , et al. Periodic limb movements in sleep are associated with stroke and cardiovascular risk factors in patients with renal failure. J Sleep Res 2012; 21: 297–307.
10. , , , et al. Restless legs syndrome enhances cardiovascular risk and mortality in patients with end-stage kidney disease undergoing long-term haemodialysis treatment. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2011; 26: 1976–83.
11. , , , et al. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome among men aged 18 to 64 years: an association with somatic disease and neuropsychiatric symptoms. Mov Disord 2001; 16: 1159–63.
12. , . Prevalence of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder in the general population. J Psychosom Res 2002; 53: 547–54.
13. , , , et al. Prevalence and correlates of restless legs syndrome: results from the 2005 National Sleep Foundation Poll. Chest 2006; 129: 76–80.
14. , , . Restless legs symptoms with sleepiness in relation to mortality: 20-year follow-up study of a middle-aged Swedish population. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2008; 62: 457–63.
15. , , , et al. Differential diagnosis of unpleasant sensations in the legs: prevalence of restless legs syndrome in a primary care population. Sleep Med 2010; 11: 161–6.
16. , , , et al. Prevalence and risk factors of RLS in an elderly population: the MEMO study. Memory and morbidity in Augsburg elderly. Neurology 2000; 54: 1064–8.
17. , , , et al. Restless legs syndrome: a community-based study of prevalence, severity, and risk factors. Neurology 2005; 64: 1920–4.
18. , , . Prevalence and correlates of restless legs syndrome symptoms in the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort. Sleep Med 2006; 7: 545–52.
19. , , , et al. Association of restless legs syndrome and cardiovascular disease in the Sleep Heart Health Study. Neurology 2008; 70: 35–42.
20. , , , et al. Restless legs syndrome among women: prevalence, co-morbidity and possible relationship to menopause. Climacteric 2008; 11: 422–8.
21. , , , et al. Prevalence of restless legs syndrome among adults in Iceland and Sweden: lung function, comorbidity, ferritin, biomarkers and quality of life. Sleep Med 2010; 11: 1043–8.
22. , , , et al. Sex and the risk of restless legs syndrome in the general population. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 196–202.
23. , , , et al. Sleep disturbances and chronic disease in older adults: results of the 2003 National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America Survey. J Psychosom Res 2004; 56: 497–502.
24. , , , et al. Prevalence and associated factors of restless legs in a 57-year-old urban population in northern Finland. Acta Neurol Scand 2010; 122: 63–9.
25. , . Review of the relationship of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements in sleep to hypertension, heart disease, and stroke. Sleep 2009; 32: 589–97.
26. , , . Periodic leg movements in sleep in essential hypertension. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 1997; 51: 103–7.
27. , , , et al. Hypertension risk and PLMS in restless legs syndrome. Sleep 2007; 30: A297–8.
28. , , , et al. Periodic limb movement during sleep is associated with nocturnal hypertension in children. Sleep 2010; 33: 759–65.
29. , . Periodic limb movements during sleep in patients with congestive heart failure. Chest 1996; 109: 1497–502.
30. . Sleep disorders in systolic heart failure: a prospective study of 100 male patients. The final report. Int J Cardiol 2006; 106: 21–8.
31. , , , et al. The prevalence and significance of periodic leg movements during sleep in patients with congestive heart failure. Sleep Breath 2009; 13: 43–7.
32. , , , et al. Nocturnal blood pressure changes in patients with restless legs syndrome. Neurology 2007; 68: 1213–18.
33. , , , et al. EEG and cardiac activation during periodic leg movements in sleep: support for a hierarchy of arousal responses. Neurology 1999; 52: 786–91.
34. , , , et al. Heart rate and spectral EEG changes accompanying periodic and non-periodic leg movements during sleep. Clin Neurophysiol 2007; 118: 438–48.
35. , , , et al. Rise of blood pressure with periodic limb movements in sleep and wakefulness. Clin Neurophysiol 2007; 118: 1923–30.
36. . The evoked heart rate response to periodic leg movements of sleep. Sleep 1999; 22: 575–80.
37. , , . The significance of the sympathetic nervous system in the pathophysiology of periodic leg movements in sleep. Sleep 2007; 30: 755–66.
38. , , , et al. Effects of acute dopamine-agonist treatment in restless legs syndrome on heart rate variability during sleep. Sleep Med 2011; 12: 47–55.
39. , , , et al. Restless legs syndrome: evidence for nocturnal hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system activation. Mov Disord 2010; 25: 1047–52.
40. , , , et al. Endocrine rhythms in patients with restless legs syndrome. J Neurol 2002; 249: 146–51.
41. , , , et al. Short sleep duration as a risk factor for hypertension: analyses of the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Hypertension 2006; 47: 833–9.
42. , , , et al. Short sleep duration as an independent predictor of cardiovascular events in Japanese patients with hypertension. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168: 2225–31.
43. , , , et al. Cardiovascular risk factors in restless legs syndrome. Mov Disord 2009; 24: 1587–92.
44. , , , et al. Absence of cardiovascular disease risk factors in restless legs syndrome. Acta Neurol Scand 2012; 125: 319–25.
45. . Depressive disorders in restless legs syndrome: epidemiology, pathophysiology and management. CNS Drugs 2010; 24: 89–98.
46. , , , et al. Increased prevalence of nocturnal smoking in restless legs syndrome (RLS). Sleep Med 2010; 11: 218–20.
47. , , , et al. Association of restless legs syndrome with nocturnal eating: a case-control study. Mov Disord 2009; 24: 871–7.