Book chapters will be unavailable on Saturday 24th August between 8am-12pm BST. This is for essential maintenance which will provide improved performance going forwards. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Included in this Chapter are tabulations of data on which are based discussions of Proterozoic and earliest Cambrian carbonaceous remains, trace and body fossils (Chapter 7); the Late Proterozoic–Early Cambrian evolution of metaphytes and metazoans (Chapter 8); and the Proterozoic–Early Cambrian diversification of metazoans and metaphytes (Section 11.4). Specifically, tabulations (including an evaluation of the nature and origin of the taxa and objects listed) are presented below for the following six categories of megascopic remains:
(1) Proterozoic and selected Cambrian megascopic carbonaceous films (Table 23.1);
(2) described genera and species of Proterozoic and Early Cambrian calcareous algae (Tables 23.2.1–23.2.5);
(3) taxonomically described, as well as figured but not formally described, Ediacaran (Table 23.3.1) and other Proterozoic (Table 23.3.2) metazoan body fossils;
(4) taxonomically described, as well as figured but not formally described, Proterozoic (Vendian) metazoan trace fossils (Table 23.4);
(5) genera of Late Proterozoic–Early Cambrian skeletal fossils (Table 23.5); and
(6) Proterozoic and selected Cambrian megascopic dubiofossils and pseudofossils (Table 23.6).
Proterozoic and Selected Cambrian Megascopic Carbonaceous Films
In Table 23.1 are listed, alphabetically and by year of publication, reported Proterozoic and selected Cambrian megascopic films. The conventions noted below have been used in Table 23.1.
Type code: ** = holotype of the type species of the indicated genus; * = holotype of a species other than the type species of the indicated genus.